Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T45-RS Conversion for LS Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Goin70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default T45-RS Conversion for LS Engine?

Four years ago, I bought one of Keisler's T45-RS transmissions and put it in my 1970 Corvette, which had a replacement 350 cubic inch engine in it at the time. It was their 26 spline input shaft version, and came with mechanical speed output. Now, I'm having an LS3 put in and need to convert it to electrical speed output, so it can communicate with the LS3 computer. The problem is that this specific transmission doesn't have a standard speedo mounting boss. Also, the cable can't be removed from the transmission without it's own special gear coming out of the transmission with it.

Of course, Keisler just went bankrupt, so they're no help. Has anyone else converted this specific transmission for an LSx swap? If so, how did you do it and where did you get the conversion kit?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If the speedo cable output can be unscrewed from the speedo, you can add a Dakota Digital pass thru VSS and short cable to the speedo.
I've also added a VSS to a T10 by using the reverse gear as a reluctor.
JTR has a diff mounted VSS reluctor and sensor. Might be tight considering the way the diff pinion is mounted on a vette. You might be able to adapt to one of the side yokes.
Keep in mind the 2 wire sensor just needs ferrous metal passing by. You could add metal tabs on the driveshaft and use that as a reluctor.
The sensors need a minimum AC output for the ecu to read. That voltage is controlled generally by the size of the sensor, distance to the reluctor, and rotational spped of reluctor. If it's not reading, you just move the sensor closer to the reluctor but both have to be mounted at a pretty consistent distance.

Originally Posted by Goin70
Four years ago, I bought one of Keisler's T45-RS transmissions and put it in my 1970 Corvette, which had a replacement 350 cubic inch engine in it at the time. It was their 26 spline input shaft version, and came with mechanical speed output. Now, I'm having an LS3 put in and need to convert it to electrical speed output, so it can communicate with the LS3 computer. The problem is that this specific transmission doesn't have a standard speedo mounting boss. Also, the cable can't be removed from the transmission without it's own special gear coming out of the transmission with it.

Of course, Keisler just went bankrupt, so they're no help. Has anyone else converted this specific transmission for an LSx swap? If so, how did you do it and where did you get the conversion kit?

Quick Reply: T45-RS Conversion for LS Engine?