Title Search Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:55 PM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Title Search Help

Hi,

I've bought a 74 coupe with only a Bill of Sale. It is a drag race car and has been for at least 20 years and hasn't been on the street for at least that long. (It is not the car in my profile pic. I know about it!).

However, the car still has the original windshield post and so it has the VIN. I'd like to, ultimately, get a title for it. First step, I guess, would be a title search and car history.

Where would I go to get a title search done and start a 'Lost Title' process? Anybody had dealings with 'Lost Title' companies?

Thanks for any help.

Walt Z.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

First step is to contact your DMV, explain what you have, what you want, and ask what you will need.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Go to your local DMV or License Plate Agency. They can get you started with the paperwork and should be able to track the last known owner by title. I am doing the exact same thing now. Not hard but patience is required. If you have any idea who the last owner by title might be, they might be willing to apply for a lost title which can be transferred to you at the same time.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wzschirnt
Hi,

I've bought a 74 coupe with only a Bill of Sale. It is a drag race car and has been for at least 20 years and hasn't been on the street for at least that long. (It is not the car in my profile pic. I know about it!).

However, the car still has the original windshield post and so it has the VIN. I'd like to, ultimately, get a title for it. First step, I guess, would be a title search and car history.

Where would I go to get a title search done and start a 'Lost Title' process? Anybody had dealings with 'Lost Title' companies?

Thanks for any help.

Walt Z.
Before you engage the $ervice$ of a company, you might want to check with Texas DMV, as already suggested. They'll be happy to take your money, but it may not be as bad if you go privately.

Every state's motor vehicle dept is different, but it's possible you can obtain enough info to re-register the car and, hopefully, not have to pay some horrendous back - fee amount to do so.

Do you have ANY history on the vehicle - if, perhaps, it was titled in another state? Any ownership records at all? Everything helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Title Search Help

Quick Reply: Title Search Help