Sponsored by:

Transmission Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 PM
John Money
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Ideas

I have a 76 vette with a 350 in it now. Looking to get a ZZ383 to put in it and curious on transmission ideas to go with. Has a turbo 350 now with a 3 speed. Would like to have overdrive or a 4 speed but open to ideas ppl may have. Any advise will help.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it right and go for the 6 speed.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:28 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

700r4
Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by John Money
I have a 76 vette with a 350 in it now. Looking to get a ZZ383 to put in it and curious on transmission ideas to go with. Has a turbo 350 now with a 3 speed. Would like to have overdrive or a 4 speed but open to ideas ppl may have. Any advise will help.
I have a 78 looking at a ZZ5. My transmission is pulled and also looking at options. Now here is the problem. You can go down 3 roads.
1. simple install bolt on changes
2. some mods minimum changes
3. requires mods but can be done by most.

1. Upgrade the TH350 with some good valve bodies / shift kits / clutches etc. Do the same with a 200R4 (this gives you overdrive)
2. Upgrade to the 700R4 requires changes to things like drive shaft (lots of threads on this)
3. changing to a manual trans.

I know alot say change to a manual for the pleasure of driving a stick. The car will feel faster during acceleration in certain conditions.

So what do you enjoy about driving your corvette. Highway cruising, quick acceleration runs, drag racing , road racing , autox etc.

each have a good better best.

highway crusing , drag racing auto's do very well.
Quick acceleration runs , road racing autox manuals do very well.

So the next problem should you choose the manual route, is which transmission. Of the manuals I have been looking at you have

keisler RS SS line (now out of business)
richmond transmissions ( new owner bought out so no production of 5 - 6 speeds in months)
TKO most common choice due to many installs in C3's
T56 requires more effort to install

Next is the budget. All auto to manual conversions have a higher cost compared to fixing up an auto. Many have reduced costs with auto-manual by getting doner parts.

My thing with the manuals is the choice of gears.
TKO's that are common in C3's are 5 speeds with 1 overdrive. Usually 1st is useless depending on the rear ratio's (changing add more cost)
T56 is a 6 speed with 2 overdrives. Usually 1st and 6th are useless again depending on rear ratio's. Most try to get a 1st ratio / with rear gear = 10.
The Richmond 5 - 6 speeds I think have the best of both.
you have alot of ratio choices. If you dont need overdrive then the 5 speed is great because 5th is 1:1 giving you more use 1-5. If you need overdrive 6 speed is also 1-5 and 5th still 1:1 with 6th as a overdrive. But these units are not in production.

I am now putting my TH350 back in until I can find out what will happen with the richmond line of transmissions. I may still use a TKO but for what I want to use the car for I am not sure its good money spent.

Those that have made the changes to manual all love them and its hard to find anyone that has regreted making the change. Those that have updated the auto's usually made the choice based on a comprimise of budget , drivability , and purpose. You cannot get the best of everything in one transmission. You always give up something. Time, labour, money. Either way the Engine change will give you the most enjoyment.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TKO 5-speed. The 5th gear is a .64 overdrive. You get a boost in highway milage, but that's not what counts. The overdrive will reduce engine wear and at cruising speeds the engine is running at lower rpm's so the ride is way more comfortable. Chevrolet should have done this back in the day.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Ideas

Quick Reply: Transmission Ideas