Sponsored by:

Do not grease those cables!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do not grease those cables!

I was just talking with John Dvorski of Redline today. I am having my speedometer upgraded to 140 mph and the tachometer resurfaced. John passed on some important information with regards to servicing the speedometer and tachometer cables. DO NOT GREASE THE CABLES. John advised me, contrary to some of the comments I have read on this Forum, that the spun wire inside the cable sheath acts like a screw as it turns. Over time this screw action pushes the grease/oil towards the heads of the speedometer and/or tachometer mechanisms, fouling them to a point where they may (and in most cases… do) cause problems with operation of the instruments. The buildup of oil and grease cause a mess that attacks dirt and grime. These cables did not come from the factory with any lubricants. They are dry for a purpose, one of which is so they do not stick to the casing. So when you take those cables out and service them just wipe them clean and reassemble. If you are replacing with after-market cables you will notice a smooth action and no lubricants. Comments are welcome.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion18z
I was just talking with John Dvorski of Redline today. I am having my speedometer upgraded to 140 mph and the tachometer resurfaced. John passed on some important information with regards to servicing the speedometer and tachometer cables. DO NOT GREASE THE CABLES. John advised me, contrary to some of the comments I have read on this Forum, that the spun wire inside the cable sheath acts like a screw as it turns. Over time this screw action pushes the grease/oil towards the heads of the speedometer and/or tachometer mechanisms, fouling them to a point where they may (and in most cases… do) cause problems with operation of the instruments. The buildup of oil and grease cause a mess that attacks dirt and grime. These cables did not come from the factory with any lubricants. They are dry for a purpose, one of which is so they do not stick to the casing. So when you take those cables out and service them just wipe them clean and reassemble. If you are replacing with after-market cables you will notice a smooth action and no lubricants. Comments are welcome.
Ya know...I never thought of that....I could see that happening though...

I simply replaced mine...brand new - no grease.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:22 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Sounds logical to me. I've never greased or oiled mine and it works perfectly.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I've always heard to use graphite to lube them.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Graphite lube does work well. Remove the inner cable and coat it. When the carrier (typically kerosene) is completely evaporated re-install the inner cable into the outer sheath. The now dry graphite (basically soft carbon) is an excellent lubricant and will not create a greasy mess that finds its way into the head unit.

Last edited by Paul L; 02-03-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:38 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

AAAAAAAAAAAAhaaaa.....the flex-cable is coming back out.....

getting degreased....

and then graphited (it was binding--so I greased it to keep the needle from bouncing)

Thanks for the info......and for sparing me from having to disassemble the head in a couple years.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Vettereturned
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine is making a little 'noise' according to the wife (I can't hear it). I was going to remove and lube it - but not now. If the cable snaps it'll get replaced.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
AAAAAAAAAAAAhaaaa.....the flex-cable is coming back out.....

getting degreased....

and then graphited (it was binding--so I greased it to keep the needle from bouncing)

Thanks for the info......and for sparing me from having to disassemble the head in a couple years.
If the tach/speedo needle is bouncing, the cable most likely has a kink in it, and needs a new one.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
If the tach/speedo needle is bouncing, the cable most likely has a kink in it, and needs a new one.
A mechanical tach bounching 25rpm at idle is normal. Once up to speed it should be steady.

Last edited by Paul L; 02-04-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

finally a thread i can sink my teeth into.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

Could be - but, they ought to state that their advice goes against the guidance of the cable manufacturers (they go to the cost, effort and hazmat regulatory brain damage to include a dab of lube with their new cables for valid reasons); and, my '82's GM shop manual specifies (pg. 8C-8) to always use GM speedo cable lubrication, and gives part # ST700. Bottom line, except for brakes, friction is usually a bad thing and the design engineers knew what they were doing. I use lithium grease on my speedo cables, and without any issues to date.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Per the advice given a few months ago, I just did my cables. The cruise servo to transmission cable assembly was replaced and the cable given a light white lithium greasing while it was out. The servo to speedometer cable was then determined to be the cause of the needle bounce so I pulled it out and found a couple of clumps of crusty, rusty-looking grease on it. After a good cleaning and light lubing it was re-installing all is good. I was going to replace the whole thing but the aftermarket replacement was about four inches longer than the original (it was labeled as a tach drive or speedometer replacement).
Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Mine was bouncing years ago, greased the cable with dry silicone grease and it was OK for many years until last summer. Made some noise and needle occasionally bouncing. I replaced the cable this time by a so called original 68 replacement unit, but the new cable also was longer. I could fit it, but not as perfect as the old one was.

Aftermarket stuff , pfff.

Rgds. Günther
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I agree with EasyMike, I was always told to use graphite. The tubes even say for speedometer use. Lou.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:19 AM
calif phil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tool that uses compressed air and a drill to lube speedo cables. I have had it for years. It came with AC Delco speedo cable grease.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I've heard this too.

I did need to recently lube my reverse lockout cable though. A bit of white lithium grease on each end and it works again.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
I agree with EasyMike, I was always told to use graphite. The tubes even say for speedometer use. Lou.

To each their own but this is the product that serves my needs well.

Get notified of new replies

To Do not grease those cables!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I can see the logic, but I've been greasing speedometer cables for over 40 years and never ended up with a speedometer full of grease or any failures from it.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
I can see the logic, but I've been greasing speedometer cables for over 40 years and never ended up with a speedometer full of grease or any failures from it.
Now that I think back, I was baffled once and did have one vehicle that I owned for 18 years that had a huge build-up of grease in the speedometer housing...the inner flex-cable must have been turning the "correct way" to cause the grease to collect....other than that, I've never had problems with grease.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

I always use a drop of assembly lube on the end of the cable where it enters the distributor drive and that's it. I also have the distributor "clocked" about 45 degrees or one cylinder over so it's a straight shot from the tach drive to the grommet in the firewall instead of a 45 degree bend in the cable.

Quick Reply: Do not grease those cables!