Painting the car myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
In our case, the front end was damaged when we bought the car, so we picked up a front clip from another car. So, when we removed the original clip, we didn`t have to worry about damaging it. Sawzall got me close, then a wide putty knife & hammer to separate the seams. Once it was off, I took the grinder to smooth out the bonding areas, and get off all the old glue.
I want to take off the front end carefully and donate it to someone who needs one. It's in okay shape but the PO took to much off sanding the car down and it has some repaired damage on the drivers side.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rvzio
Just went thru the same discovery on my 69. Got the pieces from Paragon and after a lot of measuring and fitting completed the task. Take your time.

Rvzio,

I have been watching your thread, My birdcage issues do not come close to what you have been dealing with.

Thanks for the support.

Jack
Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack605
Rvzio,

I have been watching your thread, My birdcage issues do not come close to what you have been dealing with.

Thanks for the support.

Jack
That's great Jack hopefully there are not a lot of people out there with their restores dealing with this crap. Thanks for following.
Roger
Old 10-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Pulling front clip

Anyone have a good post on pulling the front clip or a good place to get step by step instructions?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack605
Anyone have a good post on pulling the front clip or a good place to get step by step instructions?
That would be an interesting post Jack, getting ready to do the same thing. The one I saw was on Corvette restoration.com. The guy started at the bottom sides with a putty knife and hammer. I am going to take a different approach and use my Rockler saw which can go straight into the seam and cut. I will keep an eye on your post.
Roger

Quick Reply: Painting the car myself