Sponsored by:

Drop Base Air Cleaner/Hood Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:06 PM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Drop Base Air Cleaner/Hood Clearance

I'm thinking about changing from a high rise hood to a Big Block/LT-1 style hood on my 70 Vette (see link below).

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1972.html

I've seen a couple of write ups of using drop base air cleaners to fit under the hood , but I'm wondering if I could get the part numbers of people that run this combination below. I'm hoping to minimize any issues.

Here is what I'm running:
1. 350 Engine
2. 7501 Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifold
3. Holley Street Avenger 670 CFM 4 Barrel Carburetor with Electric Choke, Part #80670

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Check out Summit Racings website, they list a 14" low profile chrome air cleaner-part number #4338, possible that would work, if not they may be able to advise you which one would work for your application.
Sorry no personal experience with your exact set up.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

While that is one of the coolest looking hoods of all time as far as I'm concerned, look at it in black on vettebuyers car so sweet,

BUT if your 70 is the red hacked car, lol, I can say that my 69 has a 73-79 front clip also,

Anyway if that red car in your pictures is the car you want that hood for it will not work, it only fit 68-72 with wiper door, it's a short hood,

You could reinstall the wiper door ( what I plan, I love the look ) or aad the aftermarket wiper door cover thing.

With that said that hood didnt really add all that much clearence....
Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
While that is one of the coolest looking hoods of all time as far as I'm concerned, look at it in black on vettebuyers car so sweet,

BUT if your 70 is the red hacked car, lol, I can say that my 69 has a 73-79 front clip also,

Anyway if that red car in your pictures is the car you want that hood for it will not work, it only fit 68-72 with wiper door, it's a short hood,

You could reinstall the wiper door ( what I plan, I love the look ) or aad the aftermarket wiper door cover thing.

With that said that hood didnt really add all that much clearence....
I'm getting all the parts together to change out the entire front clip. I do have the wiper door, so I'm hoping I can use the Big Block/LT1 hood if I can get the clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To Drop Base Air Cleaner/Hood Clearance

Quick Reply: Drop Base Air Cleaner/Hood Clearance