Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970-72 Corvette Radiator Hose Clamps

Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Jhiltonn
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 1970-72 Corvette Radiator Hose Clamps

Hi all, I was hoping someone could chime in and help me out here. I'm trying to figure out which type of radiator hose clamp was original to a 1972 coupe, 350 sb, w/AC. According to the NCRS 70-72 Technical Judging Manual, original 350s in 72 used the worm type stainless steel clamps, but in this photograph of an original 72 350 engine bay, it has the tower-style clamps on the upper radiator hose! I know the 2 heater hoses used the Witteck tower-style clamps as they are shown in the picture below plus the NCRS manual says the same, BUT they differ in opinions on the radiator hoses.... HELP! I'm leaning towards putting the tower style clamps on my radiator hoses since they are shown in the pic, so unless someone knows something else....
thanks, Joe

Old 03-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

Joe,

What is the source of that photo? Looks like it is in a book of some sort... Does it give a photo credit?

For what it's worth, I've had the opportunity to look at many original 1968-1972 Corvettes. The worm style radiator hose clamps began to replace the tower style clamps around September 1969 (during the 1969 model year) and continued through the 1972 model year. I can't remember seeing an original, unrestored car in that date range with anything but a worm clamp.

Having said that, would it be possible that a car built after September 1969 to have tower style radiator clamps? Yes, but the probability goes down as you get farther away from the transition date (as any possible remaining stock of tower clamps would be expended). In addition, you would have to provide documentation to support your claim if you intend to have your car judged in NCRS or NCCB. By 1972, I'd say that your odds would be pretty slim.

If you're considering NCRS judging, I would suggest using the worm style clamps unless you are certain that YOUR car was equipped otherwise... And even then, be prepared to lose a point or two.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 03-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Jhiltonn
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you Stan for your opinion... I thank you! The picture is from the Vette Vues fact book by MF Dobbins. There's a couple pages with 6 different b/w shots of a base engine 350 from a 72.
This is just not my area of expertise so I really do appreciate the help from members like you that KNOW. I'm in the middle of restoring my 72 coupe and this kind of information is invaluable.
Kind regards, Joe

Get notified of new replies

To 1970-72 Corvette Radiator Hose Clamps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1970-72 Corvette Radiator Hose Clamps