Sponsored by:

1968 title

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM
greggome
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1968 title

I have a 68 vette thats been stored for years in NY and I plan to move it to florida. It's not been registered for years. I am told I need a title to register it in florida. As I understand it cars as old as 1968 did not have titles and I dont recall ever having one. Can any vette owners confirm whether or not title existed on cars this old?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:10 PM
CAN-AM69
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our '66 had a title, our '68 had a title and so does our '69.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Each state has different laws regarding titles, therefore if you dont have a title for the 68 you need to find out Fl. requirements for getting one. I'm jumping thru all kinds of ridiculous hoops in NC trying to get a title for a 68 Ford 100. I bought the truck in Ga without a title and by presenting the bill of sale to DMV they issued me a registration and plate. NC wont do this.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:54 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

You shouldn't need a title to transfer from NY to FL. If you register in NY, the registration will be transferable and if FL issues titles, you will receive a title once you register in FL.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
You shouldn't need a title to transfer from NY to FL. If you register in NY, the registration will be transferable and if FL issues titles, you will receive a title once you register in FL.

Just make sure the VIN on the registration matches the car VIN exactly they look at them on any car coming from another state.
Mark

Last edited by mark6669; 03-22-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:12 PM
greggome
Racer

Thanks for the information. The big problem is that the car has not been on the road for many years so it has not been registered during that time. I do have an old registration dating back to 1989 in my possession.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought my 68 from the PO in GA and didn't have the title. He went to motor vehicle and they issued a new one. This enabled me to buy the car and bring to NJ.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 PM
crashdog172
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greggome
Thanks for the information. The big problem is that the car has not been on the road for many years so it has not been registered during that time. I do have an old registration dating back to 1989 in my possession.
No tiile for a 68 in NY. I just registered my 69 which had a registration from 1983 with no problem.They only will issue a nontransferable reggy and after a few weeks you will get a transferable one in the mail.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Call the BMV's for both states involved in the transaction. The laws are very different for many of them and you can get burned really bad if you purchase an unregistered car in some states.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Call the BMV's for both states involved in the transaction. The laws are very different for many of them and you can get burned really bad if you purchase an unregistered car in some states.
Excellent advice.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

Living in fl over 48 years AND dealing with customs, trikes, kit cars etc I know our DMV pretty well,

Fl is hard to deal with on many things and please do call the DMV here to double check but you must have a title to title a car in FL they do not swap registrations, they rewrite laws it seems daily.
I had a kit car almost become yard art and sat in limbo for two weeks because another state branded it "replica" and fl doesnt do that brand.
a 68 vette had a title and fl doesn't care if it came from a state that didnt require it they do,
I have no idea how many hoops you will have to jump thru to get it all sorted out for fl but just be happy the car is yours and not one you bought with no title.....or a title in some other cats name
Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I crossed this bridge when moving to FL . My 69 was only first registered by me in NY a year before the move. Having the registration in my name helped make the transfer in FL easy. Registering it in your name in NY, before moving would be advisable.

BTW...be sure and check the vin numbers as already stated. As it turned out, when I went to register my 69, the S in the vin was a 5 and difficult to spot. Lucky for me, a buddy looking at my registration noticed it, so I had the NY MV Dept make the change. They needed to research the number first, before making the change and that took several days, as I recall. If I had not caught that error before moving, it would have made registering it more difficult.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Red 69
I crossed this bridge when moving to FL . My 69 was only first registered by me in NY a year before the move. Having the registration in my name helped make the transfer in FL easy. Registering it in your name in NY, before moving would be advisable.

BTW...be sure and check the vin numbers as already stated. As it turned out, when I went to register my 69, the S in the vin was a 5 and difficult to spot. Lucky for me, a buddy looking at my registration noticed it, so I had the NY MV Dept make the change. They needed to research the number first, before making the change and that took several days, as I recall. If I had not caught that error before moving, it would have made registering it more difficult.

So then now you do have a Florida title...correct? Florida is a title state.

OP
Call FL dmv & say....I have a 68 vette from another state NO TITLE and the reg is out of date by years...but was last in my name see what they say.....
Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 PM
greggome
Racer

Originally Posted by The13Bats
So then now you do have a Florida title...correct? Florida is a title state.

OP
Call FL dmv & say....I have a 68 vette from another state NO TITLE and the reg is out of date by years...but was last in my name see what they say.....
I guess the question still comes back to Florida requires a title. NY at the time did not so no title is available on the car. I can probably register it in NY again but I still have no title for Florida. Heres DMV Florida response which still doesn't make it clear to me- Verification may be one of the following: A computer generated printout from the OOS DMV. A letter on letterhead from the OOS DMV. A copy of the dated teletype printout or a statement which shows the ownership information and the name of the law enforcement agency and the official's name that provided the verification information. Photocopy of the OOS title. Bill of sale from the registered owner to the applicant. The bill of sale must include the sale price, date of sale and description of the motor vehicle, including the year, make and vehicle identification number The Bill of sale must be marked paid in full or the applicant can provide other proof that any balance due has been paid. Lien satisfaction. Form HSMV 82040 or82041 accurately completed by the applicant. Florida sales or specify the sale tax information on accurately completed HSMV 82040 or 82041. Title fees. Florida court order directing the department to issue a certificate of title to the person named in the court order for the described motor vehicle. Other proofs of purchase which shows a total sale price and indicates the sale price for the motor vehicle, vessel or mobile home has been paid in full by the applicant
Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 PM
greggome
Racer

Originally Posted by crashdog172
No tiile for a 68 in NY. I just registered my 69 which had a registration from 1983 with no problem.They only will issue a nontransferable reggy and after a few weeks you will get a transferable one in the mail.
Do you know if they will issue a title if requested?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:02 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As it turned out, when I went to register my 69, the S in the vin was a 5 and difficult to spot. Lucky for me, a buddy looking at my registration noticed it, so I had the NY MV Dept make the change. They needed to research the number first, before making the change and that took several days, as I recall.
Funny, I have this exact same problem right now. My dad, the PO, had it since '78 and had the VIN wrong on the title from the beginning. When I titled it, they used the same info off the title. I just recently figured this out while researching the VIN. Someday I need to get it straightened out.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:22 PM
crashdog172
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greggome
Do you know if they will issue a title if requested?
As far as I know they can not issue a title for a non titled car.My registration was so old it was no longer in the dmv system,if this is the case they will issue a nontransferable reggy and mail you the transferable one.My reggy was not in my name so they may just give you the transferable one without having to wait.If you want a new current reggy you will have to register the car then you can go back and turn the plates in cancel the issurance if you wish.

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 title

Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 PM
82CFI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a new one: NY doesn't issue vehicle titles. I wonder how many other states have the same practice?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The statement from the FL BMV was very clear. There are several available methods by which they will accept the info on the car and prepare a title for the car in FL. Read thru that 'legalese' again and select which "path" you can take to get the title worked up. If your bill of sale on the car doesn't have all the info you are required to have, perhaps you can get a more complete bill of sale from your seller.

The LAST thing you want to do is get the car titled in a non-resident state (NY), and then try to get it titled in YOUR state. You may end up paying sales tax twice...and, even paying a big penalty to the state-of-origin, if the car was not registered for several years.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-26-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 PM
greggome
Racer

Originally Posted by crashdog172
As far as I know they can not issue a title for a non titled car.My registration was so old it was no longer in the dmv system,if this is the case they will issue a nontransferable reggy and mail you the transferable one.My reggy was not in my name so they may just give you the transferable one without having to wait.If you want a new current reggy you will have to register the car then you can go back and turn the plates in cancel the issurance if you wish.
I have a similar issue. I am buying the car from my mom who's name it has always been in since new.The old registration is in her name and the car has been off the road for many years. So she would have to sign the registration over to me as best I can tell.

Quick Reply: 1968 title