C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a first time C3 Owner? Lessons learned...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Advice for a first time C3 Owner? Lessons learned...

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been lurking on the C3 forum for some time reading just about everything I can. This coming weekend I pick up my 1973 vette! I’ve wanted a corvette of this vintage for about 30 years and simply decided it was time. Not getting any younger,… childhood dream,… it is beautiful, … 4 speeds are good for the soul… you know the drill!

A comment and a question.

First, I simply want to say “thanks” to everyone who is part of this community. I feel like I know some of you simply by reading your posts and help you’ve provided others. The “what to look out for before you get your first vette” posts really, really helped me. I think the former owner was surprised when I climbed over, in, under and around the car like a hyperactive monkey with a flashlight, jack, jack stands and tools looking for frame / birdcage rust, evidence of Bubba, etc. It helps you avoid a nightmare (and perhaps gives the impression you know what the heck you are doing so your offer seems more reasonable;-) ).

The question: Most of you have been here at least once and I’d love to learn from your experiences. If you had it to do over again, what would be the first thing you’d do with your new C3 vette?

I PLAN on doing NOTHING at first and just drive it to get a feel for what is fine, what needs attention, etc. before I start taking stuff apart. There are some minor cosmetic issues and things to clean but nothing mission critical right now.

If it matters for my question: I do not care about extreme stock. The original motor has been lost to time and the car has had a few things replaced here and there. I plan to keep it generally stock looking but have no problems with improving the 40+ year old technology with a modern ignition, beefed up/modern suspension, brakes, etc.

There will be LOTs of other question (I’ll research them first here before asking!) as I get to know the vette but figured answers to the above question will be very useful.

Thanks again.

Larry
Houston, TX
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Tune it and drive it.

Congratulations.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Good one! Usually, it's the other way around... "I picked up a Corvette and I started noticing it had a lot of (pick one).

A) Rust.
B) Leaves and mice nest in the engine compartment.
C) Worn Interior parts.
D) neglected maintenance.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have jumped in feet first and tear the whole thing apart. I should've upgraded a little at a time and at least drove it during the process. It's going on 8 years and all I've done is work on it and dream.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM
69schemers
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gkz
If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have jumped in feet first and tear the whole thing apart. I should've upgraded a little at a time and at least drove it during the process. It's going on 8 years and all I've done is work on it and dream.
I drove my car down the street and back. That was 20 + years ago. Seems like my car was always getting pushed into the corner while I had to fix something else. Everytime I turn around I am upgrading something. Now I am just trying to get it on the road to enjoy and work on it in between.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:08 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have got a convertible.....

But I love her just the same
Old 04-07-2014, 03:13 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Drive it! That's why you bought it. Repair/replace things as needed but don't be cheap, buy good quality parts.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
Drive it! That's why you bought it. Repair/replace things as needed but don't be cheap, buy good quality parts.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Change the oil, inspect tire pressure, etc.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:32 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

383 Crate, full exhaust, 5 speed..... Drive it like I stole it....

What I learned:
1) Check the frame birdcage carefully. ( Mine was good)
2) Check the rear wheel bearings and U-joints. Wheel bearing replacement can be expensive.
3) Dont buy a smog car if you plan to do a monster motor... DOH!
4) Buy the best driveable car you can afford.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My approach was:
Make it stop
clean underneath
Preservation underneath
clean
tune up
clean some more
Fix more as budget allows
With 36000 it doesn't need much but time takes a toll
Old 04-08-2014, 06:04 PM
standswithabeer
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default stop first, then go

also a first timer, i picked up my 79 in october. i had just a few weeks before she was put in storage, so in that time i had the oil/filter changed at my local shop and we did a pretty good underneath survey at that time. i did a lot of reading here and on other sites about flat tappet oils and chose Mobil 1.

i suppose condition varies somewhat, but in my case the body/frame/birdcage are very nice but the mechanicals need to be addressed.

my plan was to make sure the brakes and front end/steering are in tip-top shape, then do a full service and tune, clean the interior, then preserve underneath.

over the winter i've wire-brushed the rotors, replaced all calipers and pads, cleaned/rinsed and repacked the wheel bearings, new wheel seals, lubed all zerks, changed the belts, changed the power steering fluid,
replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the hood cross-cable.

she'll be out of storage this week. next up will be having the trans serviced, flush the coolant with new lower hose (upper is new). then spruce up the interior.

this site has been a tremendous resource and i got a GM service manual with my c3, so most of the work will be on me. lower on the list are replacing the tach board, sending out the radio for repair, fixing/replacing the heater control unit (sticks). i'd like to install some hush-mat under the carpets, and replace the pass. side door pull.

i enjoy tinkering, and figure she'll be where i want her to be in about 2 years time. and good luck w/your ride!

bob
Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

What I did:

Change all fluids, so I knew what I had.
Made it stop.
Steroids rack and pinion.
Refurbed the seats
Allignment
New tires
New front wheel bearings. (Rears are being done now, 7 or so years later)

Gas and go!

Have fun!

Dodosmike
Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
3) Dont buy a smog car if you plan to do a monster motor... DOH!
Hmmm...

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for a first time C3 Owner? Lessons learned...

Quick Reply: Advice for a first time C3 Owner? Lessons learned...