Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 unplanned restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Remove the HVAC blower and vacuum out the collected 'crud' while you have good access.

Love that Bridgehampton Blue!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
I noticed the same, had to check to be sure.
Looks like I'm not the first to think that rear end of the frame looked odd so I had to go and check, '75 and later.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:02 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, at least the prior owner had the decency to put a better frame under it....
Old 04-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Well, at least the prior owner had the decency to put a better frame under it....

Better? …I see an incorrect frame with rust. IF anyone was doing a frame swap…why wouldn't they clean it up and at least paint it and make it nicer? You're not going to believe this, but it sounds like we have a real honest seller, one who we all want to buy a car from.

Only goes to show that you can't trust anyone during a sale. If they say anything or don't, don't take their word for it.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM
1976 corvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice pictures. Best of luck with the restoration
Old 04-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well, you're not the only one that got tricked into buying a rust bucket .
Welcome to the club.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Yes, how were the rear bumpers bolted to the frame? I don't see how they could have been, at least not very easily. It must have some non stock brackets. Lou.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I have not even been in the garage since Keithinspace pointed out the incorrect frame on this POS. I am just now starting to get my blood pressure down where I can again make rational decisions. I am just taking a break before I just part this car out and write off the loss to a lesson in life.

Originally Posted by loup68
Yes, how were the rear bumpers bolted to the frame? I don't see how they could have been, at least not very easily. It must have some non stock brackets. Lou.
The bumpers had some cheesy strap bolted through the frame hole to the end. They were basically non-functional. Looked like it belonged, but not what it should have been. Without a person being an expert on historical parts for a corvette, you would be surprised what unscrupulous people will do.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM
V8 BUG
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't give up on it. Who cares if it has the "wrong" frame. Make it SAFE and have fun with it. I would take this as an opportunity to make the car better than the factory did. I bought a 76 that was far from drivable, paid what I think was fair to somewhat high price. As I get into it I find Bubba was all over it. It will need a full resto. The engine and trans was from a truck and the car had been side swiped but patched up.
You have a very nice looking Vette there. Fix it and enjoy.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Dwayne, I agree with V8 bug, don't give up on it. I am pretty sure that the correct piece for the rear of the frame is available as a repair piece for repairing a correct frame. Check into it. Otherwise, try to sell the whole thing to someone who will want to resurrect it. Too many have gone to Corvette Heaven, already. Lou.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:31 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 547 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
My DREAM was to have a V8 that scares women and small children. Mission accomplished...
No, my opinion is that your dream should be a car that scares you. I have a 08 with a supercharged base engine. 580 rwhp at 6500 rpm, which means for 15% tranny and diff loss, the engine is producing about 660 hp. From what I've been told, and watching relevant YouTube videos, if I drive this car in automatic trannie mode and it shifts gears at anywhere, I could get rear wheel spin and loss of control. The car does have, of course, an anti-wheel spin feature. The supercharger installer told me that the supercharger would overwhelm the anti-wheel spin feature of the car. I'm very wary of this car.

I had a previous 69 Corvette with a piece part build L88 engine. 550 flywheel horsepower. Actually I had it detuned.. 12.5:1 compression ratio dropped to 11.5:1. It had no computerized anti-wheel control. It also could have a frightening experience.

The problem is that driving a DD dorkmobile everyday for weeks, and then getting into a high powered car can cause problems. I was talking to a man that owned a Ford GT 40 (supercharged mid engine car). He was pulling out of a parking lot and wanted to make a left hand turn. A car was approaching to his right and he wanted to speed up and pull out. His DD was a old Volvo sedan. Day dreaming, he did what would be a normal thing for the Volvo. He cranked the steering wheel to a hard left hand turn and floor boarded the gas pedal.....opps...the GT40 immediately lit up the rear wheels (no computerized anti spin on these cars) and he did a 360 degree turn. Fortunately no damage and the on coming car stopped.

Once again...if you're not afraid of your car, it needs more HP!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't give up. If I was closer, I'd be right there helping you. That frame can be saved.

When I got my '73 I was sad to find excessive frame rot. I found another frame (from a 69) that needed LESS repair and I'm fixing that one.

Hmm. When I get the body off the car in a few weeks to start the frame swap.. how about this... I can cut off the rear frame rails - to replace the rubber bumper ends on your frame... and send them to you for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default 70 vette

Now there a forum member for ya, ready to help. Don't give up on it. You can get allot of the frame pieces. With some creative welding it can be fixed. Let the vette live please.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Navy01Coupe
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas70
Well, I have not even been in the garage since Keithinspace pointed out the incorrect frame on this POS. I am just now starting to get my blood pressure down where I can again make rational decisions. I am just taking a break before I just part this car out and write off the loss to a lesson in life.
Have a (maybe several) beer(s) and let the blood pressure come down. I had a starter from a boat in my '70 and I know there is some rust on the frame that will need some serious repair. Focus on that you have a GORGEOUS car that will turn heads. You didn't buy the car to sell it and make money. You probably bought it because you always wanted one and now you have it! Enjoy the joy and pain and let people tell you how awesome she is! THAT is always the best medicine.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 259 Likes on 207 Posts

Do you know the ownership trail of this car? These cars have many owners.. looks like a lot of this damage is decades old. Are you sure you have justification to blame the guy you bought it from?

I guess it is too late now but perhaps you could have dumped the car for a loss and saved a lot of time and grief. You have to put some sort of value on that vs. working on that car that you are not enthused about... it is a big formula for failure.

rusted cars do trade hands all the time, at a reduced price, but as long as you and the buyer agree to its condition then all that matters is the price.

there is nothing wrong with selling a rusted out car.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Personally I would part it out. It's 1 thing to start out with a 70 that has some issues. It's another to start out with a conglomeration of parts that needs virtually everything replaced. You'll have way more money into it than it will ever possibly be worth. Life's lesson learned.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Mr. Texas70, PLEASE don't let it bother you. It is one of those things. I am absolutely certain that things will work their way out and you'll know MUCH more about your car (than you ever wanted to know) when you're done working through these issues.

I had to pull my engine after 8 months of ownership. Owner wasn't unscrupulous at all, but it was one of those things. Once I got over the initial range of emotions, I dug in and made the engine MINE. You'll do the same with the whole darn car. It looks GREAT and there is lots there to work with. Don't lose sight of that fact.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 unplanned restoration

Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
No, my opinion is that your dream should be a car that scares you.
On one hand, I totally agree.

A quick story: I just fixed a persistant fuel/carb issue where something was getting past my filter and into the secondaries, making the float hang up. Turned out to be the filter itself and the crappy flash chrome peeling off the inside of the casing DOWNSTREAM of the filter, but that's not the point.

While I was cleaning the float bowls, I went ahead and took the slack out of my throttle cable. Turned out I wasn't even opening my secondaries half way (double pump carb).

Took my son to a soccer game and HOLY CRRRRAP what a difference. Fast as all get-out. This is a solid roller 0.590 lift, 290 duration, 10.5:1 350, so it isn't wanting for power.

Took an intersection with a little hump under part power and got noticibly sideways when the weight came off the back wheels. Freaky fast.

Anyway...I WAS thinking about a Vortec supercharger on this engine.

I am no longer.

I'm going to fish the last 40 or so HP out of replacing my intake (Winters dual plane to a new Air Gap dual plane) and putting in a cowl induction diverter to match my L88 hood.

So I agree with your point all the way to where it gets stupid. I'm a SOLID 400 at the wheels. Has to be. Don't think I need any more. If I put a supercharger on this engine, I'd be uselessly lighting up 1st and probably lighting up well through 2nd. At some point, I've done enough.

And to your point with the Ford GT...I've almost done that. Doing a u-turn in front of Target and the engine stumbled a bit. Touch the gas and I find myself in this LURID power drift. I handled it well and looked like a hero, but it tought me a lesson.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally getting this crazy train back on the tracks.

Picked up a 1969 frame and associated parts from a forum member that wanted to clean out some space in his shop. It was a great deal and much appreciated. I have been trying to find the time to make a 2.5 hour trip to pick up a rear clip from another forum member. Wanted to go Sunday, but ended up getting a late start. I sand blasted and painted the frame Saturday and was really worn out by Sunday. On a side note, I am not that impressed with POR15 semi-gloss. It does not dry uniform in color (at least for me). I tried twice and finally gave up, it will do the job of protecting the frame but there is a mix of gloss and semi-gloss in color. Maybe after it dries a few days it will even out. Not that it matters, I do not plan on ever seeing most of it again after installing the body.

I will be posting up some photos of the progress soon.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas70
Finally getting this crazy train back on the tracks.

Picked up a 1969 frame and associated parts from a forum member that wanted to clean out some space in his shop. It was a great deal and much appreciated. I have been trying to find the time to make a 2.5 hour trip to pick up a rear clip from another forum member. Wanted to go Sunday, but ended up getting a late start. I sand blasted and painted the frame Saturday and was really worn out by Sunday. On a side note, I am not that impressed with POR15 semi-gloss. It does not dry uniform in color (at least for me). I tried twice and finally gave up, it will do the job of protecting the frame but there is a mix of gloss and semi-gloss in color. Maybe after it dries a few days it will even out. Not that it matters, I do not plan on ever seeing most of it again after installing the body.

I will be posting up some photos of the progress soon.

Cant wait to see your progression. Glad you are not going to quit on it.

Quick Reply: 1970 unplanned restoration