Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally had a chance to get back in the garage today for a few hours after work. Got my new headers and fans in over the weekend. finished stripping and painting the tranny today also. I would have loved to have gone with the ceramic headers, butttt I'm sticking to a pretty tight budget right now and threw a few extra coats of high heat resistant paint on the ones I bought. Surely they will last me awhile. I hope to have the engine ordered by the end of the month, still waiting on a quote from blueprint with my package options.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:01 AM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to see you are back at it! Not to rub salt in the wound, but I just finished mine. Did the BP engine and had the transmission re-worked.

I only have about 300 miles on so far so have not really opened her up to see what she can do, but half throttle is more than I had at full throttle before YOU ARE GONNA LOVE YOUR NEW ENGINE!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrscott25
Glad to see you are back at it! Not to rub salt in the wound, but I just finished mine. Did the BP engine and had the transmission re-worked.

I only have about 300 miles on so far so have not really opened her up to see what she can do, but half throttle is more than I had at full throttle before YOU ARE GONNA LOVE YOUR NEW ENGINE!!!
Damn you !!! How many miles does it call for, for the break in? I'm getting close, reeeaaalll close.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 79VetteNoob
Damn you !!! How many miles does it call for, for the break in? I'm getting close, reeeaaalll close.
I bought the flat tappet 355 motor. With the FT motor you need to do a break-in and then drive it normally for 500 miles. The 500 mile thing pretty much means vary the throttle when driving and avoid racing around at wide open throttle.

If you are getting the roller cam you don't have to do the initial break-in but I think they still want you to take it easy for the first 500.

They will send you specific instructions with the motor.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 PM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

Man I'll bet you've had a hard time babying it!

Congrats again on the install
Old 11-14-2014, 12:41 PM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

Well for those of you still following, after running into mutiple bumps in the road I was finally able to call in and ORDER MY NEW ENGINE TODAY!!!! I stumbled upon this beauty while searching the web for just the right one http://paceperformance.com/i-1589719...te-engine.html . I am having them add the Weiand 8120P low pro intake enstead of the stock intake, cost me 100$ extra. Should be here in 2-4 weeks. Can not wait! I will post pics when it gets in, I am hoping to have Vetty back on the streets before the new year. I will continue to add pics of progress
Old 11-14-2014, 10:58 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I noticed your new engine will have the dip stick on the passenger side. Could be a problem if your car has AC. You could use your original pan.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:34 AM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
I noticed your new engine will have the dip stick on the passenger side. Could be a problem if your car has AC. You could use your original pan.
Hmm... Most of the crate engines I've seen have the Dip Stick on the passenger side... My car does have AC, I did not think that the dipstick location would be an issue. Come to think of it I cant even picture where the dipstick was on the engine we pulled out of it.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Hmm... Most of the crate engines I've seen have the Dip Stick on the passenger side... My car does have AC, I did not think that the dipstick location would be an issue. Come to think of it I cant even picture where the dipstick was on the engine we pulled out of it.
It was on the driver's side.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:58 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Also looks like that engine comes with a long water pump.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:35 PM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

I still have my old waterpump if I end up needing to change those out. Talked with my mechanic and he said the dip-stick location should not be an issue. Moving on with the current plan. I appriciate the comments though, please keep them coming if you see any more issues
Old 11-20-2014, 10:14 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I still have my old waterpump if I end up needing to change those out. Talked with my mechanic and he said the dip-stick location should not be an issue. Moving on with the current plan. I appriciate the comments though, please keep them coming if you see any more issues
My '74 with ac - Blueprint 383 with passenger side dip stick was NO problem at all

Seriously don't even worry about it.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:45 PM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

Guess what day it is? ENGINE DELIVERY DAY!! THATS WHAT DAY IT IS!!!!! Hope to have it in before the end of January. Enjoy the pics!

[IMG]https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/720x960/80-

10858586_2537999336229_16702983888394282 96_n_fcf0740c154895eb7733abb86713b51b8c5 e2e36.jpg[/IMG]

the old and the new

Soon....

Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Wow

Beautiful engine!
Awesome freakin numbers too

It's been taking a while but it's gonna be sweet!

Old 12-20-2014, 01:04 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Very well done congratulations, just one question. How the hell'd ya get it off the truck????
Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

Originally Posted by briankeery
Very well done congratulations, just one question. How the hell'd ya get it off the truck????
Haha I let my wife flirt its way off.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the same engine BP38313CT1.
It will be black and chrome also.
I will be installing it this weekend. Yours looks great.

Get notified of new replies

To My Engine Swap

Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 PM
79VetteNoob
Advanced

Well its been a long two weeks, but I finally got lazy/impatient enough to have EVERYTHING put in. I had the poly front end major rebuild kit I bought from eklers installed, engine and tranny installed, electric fans installed, and the exhaust. I can say that I am disappointed in the exhaust fitting.. I bought the pypes violator kit for 79 vette and the mufflers dont fit, and several of the connections had to be cut and welded... The engine I bought was a fully dressed BluePrint Engine (383 - 430hp roller) from PacePerformance. Had the intake switched out for a weiand street warrior so I could clear stock hood. This engine also came with a holley 750 double pumper, diff valve covers, a starter, air cleaner, etc... fully dressed - great buy. Anyway there is a leak at the intake seal that will have to be repaired. Called paceperformance today and they said "boss was not there today" so i'm calling back tomorrow - i expect that pace will fully warente the labor to repair the part since it was professionally installed by their team. I will keep you posted. Aside from that i noticed (when I got it home) that the flywheel dust cover had not been installed - i vaguely remember them saying it wouldn't fit back on but im checking back into that tomorrow as well - do I need it? Please see pics posted below. They were taken at night and dont do it any justice, but they're better than nothing. Also not sure about this carb, this engine has a mean cam and has already idled out at a stop light (on the way home) also killed it when I floored it ... Not sure it has been properly tuned any advice?

Engine Top View

Exhaust mufflers all funky, need to be bent

exposed flywheel - is this an issue?

Intake Manifold Oil Leak

Last edited by 79VetteNoob; 02-19-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Looks great!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:02 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Well its been a long two weeks, but I finally got lazy/impatient enough to have EVERYTHING put in. I had the poly front end major rebuild kit I bought from eklers installed, engine and tranny installed, electric fans installed, and the exhaust. I can say that I am disappointed in the exhaust fitting.. I bought the pypes violator kit for 79 vette and the mufflers dont fit, and several of the connections had to be cut and welded... The engine I bought was a fully dressed BluePrint Engine (383 - 430hp roller) from PacePerformance. Had the intake switched out for a weiand street warrior so I could clear stock hood. This engine also came with a holley 750 double pumper, diff valve covers, a starter, air cleaner, etc... fully dressed - great buy. Anyway there is a leak at the intake seal that will have to be repaired. Called paceperformance today and they said "boss was not there today" so i'm calling back tomorrow - i expect that pace will fully warente the labor to repair the part since it was professionally installed by their team. I will keep you posted. Aside from that i noticed (when I got it home) that the flywheel dust cover had not been installed - i vaguely remember them saying it wouldn't fit back on but im checking back into that tomorrow as well - do I need it? Please see pics posted below. They were taken at night and dont do it any justice, but they're better than nothing. Also not sure about this carb, this engine has a mean cam and has already idled out at a stop light (on the way home) also killed it when I floored it ... Not sure it has been properly tuned any advice?

Engine Top View

Exhaust mufflers all funky, need to be bent

exposed flywheel - is this an issue?

Intake Manifold Oil Leak

Everything on the motor looks great, especially the valve covers. Very different. Nice job and yes I would cover the exposed flywheel. I f you have a scatter shield on then get the lower cover if not do something.
r

Quick Reply: My Engine Swap