Sponsored by:

71 heater control cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 PM
firstvett69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 71 heater control cable

Hi all, the corvette is a 1971 with A/C,I am trying to install a heater control cable, this car has A/C, I know that cable goes on the heater control wheel on the console but where does the other end go, to a heater box door or a vacuum pod of some kind, where is it and how do i get to it. Thanks all.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi f69,
The cable runs to the top of the a/c heater box where there's a bracket and lever that the cable attaches to. The cable moves the lever which opens and closes a door in the heater box so you get hot or cold air.
Look your AIM at pages C60, Sheets E2 and E3. It's item #3 on sheet E2.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-14-2014, 07:05 PM
firstvett69
Instructor

Thanks Big Alan, I pulled the pass side dash and bingo there it was, now when i got this 71 the cable was behind the seat so now i think I know how it go but it seems to be too long I guess the cable has to hook to the door and travel over to the drivers side somewhat and come down and under the radio to hook up to the wheel, I can look at the cable and tell it has been installed at one time, the PO said here is the cable and he did not know where it went. Now to the left of the heater box door where the cable hooks up about 3 or 4 inches away is a u shape bracket that the cable lays in is there some kind of retainer that holds the cable in the u shaped cavity so the cable want just jump up and the heater box door not open, do you get what im saying.

Thanks for your wisdom.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi F69,
Yes, the cable runs around the driver's side of the radio; that's why it's so long.
There is a bracket a couple of inches before the lever that the end of the cable clamps into.
It sounds like you're missing the clamp and bolt that holds the cable in place on the bracket.
My car doesn't have a/c so I can't offers you a picture.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 AM
firstvett69
Instructor

Default Heater box cable

Thanks again Alan, yep I figured there had to be something to hold it in place, and I ran the cable as you said looks like it will work now and slides smooth, another Question, the fan switch only has one speed,
normally on and low, is the fan switch relay for all speeds or do i have a bad fan switch it is a 6 prong switch, also where is the relay for the fan switch, sorry for all questions I do not have a AIM for this car right now, this is just a flip car, just need to fix the heater and A/C, new compressor and necessary parts to convert to 134.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 heater control cable

Quick Reply: 71 heater control cable