Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new '73!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My new '73!

Well, I picked up my 1973 corvette on Saturday. Nothing like a 160 mile road trip in a car you have almost NO faith in to focus the mind. I had spent some time crawling all over, under and around this car looking for any major issues, rust, birdcage cancer, soon-to-fail mechanicals, bubba-work, … The previous owned even helped me pull of panels, trim to really look around with a flashlight. Most issues are cosmetic but there are many “projects” to be addressed in the next few months.

The Good
My face still hurts from smiling so much. I’ve wanted a car of this vintage for 29 years and simply figured it was time. Call it a planned midlife crisis, call it a childhood dream, call it stupid to be this in love with a toy… Car drives pretty well considering its age. I have some receipts and it appears the brakes were replaced in mid 2000s timeframe along with some other odds and ends. Appears it has a crate motor from the early 90s. Runs fine but “smells” rich (not that I have any idea if that means anything). Body has a few hairline cracks in the fiberglass but does not appear to have been wrecked or have major repairs (not that I’ve seen or found). Interior is original black which I’d give a 9. Very little wear but needs a good cleaning. Carpet is ripped in a place on passenger side. Major complaint is some jackleg pulled out the original radio and hacked on the center console a bit to make a mid-90s stereo fit. There is an aftermarket AC with 3 position switch conveniently located between your shins on the headlight relief valve cover. Still, AC which blows cold in TX is a very good thing!!!

The Bad
Less than halfway home, I radioed my buddy following me in the support/rescue car and asked if the road seemed to be getting a little rough. He said I needed to exit; the left rear tire was beginning to jump. Thinking something in the suspension had broken, I start wondering how long it will take for AAA to show up at the chicken farm where we stopped. Left rear had a severe bulge which looked like an infected hernia. Took a while to figure out how the spare tire is lowered (NO, you don’t pull the bolt out but loosen it and push it out of the way to right!!!) While I’m wrestling with the spare carrier 1/8 a turn at a time, my buddy flatly said, “We have a problem”. I’m thinking the 4-way wrench doesn’t fit or the jack broke. No, one of the lugs sheared off (the other 4 turned out to be fine). I dropped the spare tire. Honestly, I think I was in grade school with this tire came out of the mold. I have not seen this font on a Goodyear tire outside of a museum. We bolt it on and get back on the road, fully expecting to have a blow-out sooner rather than later.

The rest of the trip was fine and the may-pop tire and the others never gave us an issue. The first leg of the trip was 65 mph in a 75mph zone. The rest of the trip was at 55 due to the tire situation. I forgot how much 55 sucks.

The Ugly
Ignoring my smiles and frequent trip to the garage to “just look at it”, the car needs some work. These are, in no particular order:
- It is oven-like inside. I was sure if was overheating in spite of what the temp gauge said. Even with the AC on full blast, it was not comfortable.
Q: What do you use to help with this? Insulation? Undercoating? Ice bath?
- A 1973 corvette seat sucks. A friend had a 1971 for several years. I never realized the seat situation with his car. I assume it cannot be un-reclined. After holding myself up for an hour, I put the console cushion behind my head and neck which helped. I now see why folks are putting in aftermarket seats or Fiero seats. This is on “the list”.
- The side mirrors move around at will. Bumps, wind, rotation of the earth causes them to move. I check my side mirror; I’m looking at the pavement under the door. Out of habit, the next view showed the wheel of one of the 1,000 cars that passed us. Next, a beautiful view of the sky. I saw a really cool fix for this on the forum and it too, is on “the list”.
- The paint is “10 foot, with the sun in your eyes, the day after you had cataract surgery” quality. Lots of little crow’s feet and a few places where it has peeled a bit. Cosmetic issue but probably the last thing I’ll address. Still, it is on “the list.”
- Ignition was changed so the key does not open the doors. I’m REALLY glad I check this before taking a pit stop and locking it up. Locks are on my wish “list” at Zips.
- To exit out the driver’s door, you have to roll down the window, contort yourself like a circus act and push down on the outside handle with both thumbs. You lose some of the “cool factor” while doing this. This is high on the list to fix but I need to open it up to investigate.
- No power windows or locks (was this even an option?) – My 9 year old could NOT get her mind around having to actually crank up the windows BY HAND. The 13 year old thought it was a switch and tried to pull it off.
- There is nothing resembling the outer wiper and trim on the driver’s window. Nothing. On the “list”.
- Same window needs lots of adjustment since there is a gap at the top which contributes GREATLY to wind & road noise.
- Both lap belts work. Woo hoo!
- Neither shoulder belt works.
- T-top centering “bushings” are cracked. Rest of trim seems in good shape.
- There is about 1” of an obviously not matching screw holding up the right side of the wiper switch. Interior screw set is on “the list”.
- There is a minor radiator leak which does not seem like a hose.
- Lower, left side of radiator frame has a bit of severe rust on it, not helped by the leak.
- I did not realize you have to hold your tongue a certain way to remove the gas cap on these cars. 2nd gas up took 10+ minutes just to get the cap off. You lose some of the cool factor when you can’t gas up your own car. Yes, we figured it out.
- Light are UP. I plan on replacing the entire vacuum system lines, fitting, filters, etc. Some appear to be missing. Kit is on “the list”.
- Brakes seem OK. Most of the suspension looks original but the rear spring was replaced with a similar steel spring. VBP fiberglass spring is on “the list” too.
- 5 NEW tires are at the top of “the list” as are 20 lugs and new nuts.
- I wonder if this is a close-ratio transmission. 65 mph in 4th had me turning 3,000 rpms. I’m beginning to have fantasies about a 6 speed. This needs research. Perhaps the rear end has a higher gear. Or perhaps, this is just “normal”.

+++

I literally have dozens of questions and have not decided to ask them in one post or in several dedicated posts. I can’t emphasis how helpful this forum is and folks like Zips with resources, supplies, how-to diagrams and videos…

Just wanted to share my little story. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's a walk down memory lane.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the 73 club. Nice looking car, especially with the luggage rack. Post some interior and engine pics.
Do an advanced search on this Forum to find Ugly answers, like the mirror issue for example.
Door panels come off pretty easily letting you tackle some of the window and lock issues.
Looks like you have a good plan in place; run with it, keeping us tuned in!
Fran
Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Where in Texas was this car? With that sticker on the back I want to say I have seen this 73 before.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 PM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Default 73

Congratulations on getting your 73, it's always been one of my favorite years. I would have to say that so far your experience has been about average, some are better and some are worse. Everything you have listed so far is fixable with a little time, effort and money. The fact that it made it home 160 miles under its own power is encouraging!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

congratulations and enjoy the process of refreshing that 73!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and congrats, another 73 to the club, have fun.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Welcome to the 73 club!
Good luck, one project at a time and just drive it!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 PM
learje
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must have more pix!

heres mine the first night in her new home w me... your story bring backs memories for me as well....a 150 mi drive here w steering that does absolutely nothing for half a revolution. motoring down 95 from philly to home in all that traffic...hehe what was i thinkin? man it was fun

good times

enjoy your 73!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats on getting the '73. How many white knuckle moments did you have on that first drive?

The tires were the number one reason I did not try to drive my new to me Corvette home on a 150 mile trip. They were made in 1989 and I just picked it up last July. They looked great, no cracking, dry rotting or anything else, but I still checked the date code on them and decided to trailer it home.

Do post some more pictures when you get a chance and feel free to ask as many questions you need to and do some searches to find others.

Save the Wave!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Congrats on the car..........

and if you ever want to swap "to-do" lists---let me know ASAP

Last edited by doorgunner; 04-15-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Looks just like mine!

Welcome!

I have a '73 white T-top as well.

And I've got a few spare parts (new & used) you may have use for (new nylon T-top grommets, for example) from my rebuild. Maybe PM me with a list?

Steve
Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Lar--

Congrats and Welcome to the '73 club!!! Always lots of things to work on with these Vettes... Great list which can sometimes get overwhelming... Take care of the safety items before the comfort items, IMHO, and drive it while hurting your face with that BIG smile!!!

Rogman
Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Enjoyed your write up and made me smile. 73 my favorite year as well. I kinda experieced your emotions during the first drive home except I had rain the whole time which isn't a good combination together with worn out wiper blades, single speed wiper and no functioning defrost.
Sounds like you have a plan.
Nick
Old 04-15-2014, 06:31 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the club. If you aren't a fixer-upper type of person, C3 Corvettes are probably not for you. Your list sounds about like mine, just work them off one a little at a time. Be sure to check the bushings in the suspension, if they are original as mine were, they are likely trash. That was one of my jobs over the last winter. I also replaced the core support and installed a new radiator core support with electric fans. If the core support looks bad based on what you can see, it is likely much worse in places you can't. Go to my thread here called "John's Winter Rebuild Thread" to see some pictures.

Owning a vintage Corvette is an adventure, but you will be amazed at how much attention you get while out driving around. I love mine, but it is definitely a work in progress.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun, so don't pile so much on yourself all at once...small bites. You will find this forum and YouTube will be your savior...and oh yeah, buy an AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) through one of the main aftermarket suppliers. It is helpful.

John
Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Great write up.
Congratulations, I'm another fan of white Corvettes.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
Welcome!

I have a '73 white T-top as well.

Steve
Does anyone have any idea (unofficial of course) the number of white 73 coupes built? There must now be 5 or 6 active on this forum alone!

Get notified of new replies

To My new '73!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Getting the heat out of the cockpit is more about keeping the hot air in the engine compartment from reaching the air intake in the cowl area AND making sure the hot water shut-off valve is working properly (or installing a manual valve in one of the heater hoses). So, rear hood seal, proper air intake valve function, and kickpanel door seal repair are important. You can also re-install new jute insulation or other type insulation on the floor and firewall; but heat rejection is the primary solution to your problem.

Also, DON'T try to drive home a 'new' car purchase when there are very old tires on the car! Just not a good idea....

No actual build numbers available for 'white 73 coupes', but likely around 1000.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 04-15-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Arny73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your new 73'
Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Congratulations and welcome.

Search this Thread