Sponsored by:

C3 350 Timing chain Install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Captainkvan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 350 Timing chain Install question

Hello, Don’t want to mess it up. Installing a new timing set. Didn’t align the dots on the bottom and top gears before taking the chain and gears off but the engine hasn’t moved and I have everything marked so I can put back to the way it was. The bottom gear has a key way and the top has a dowel so it can only go on one way. Engine set to 1TDC. The bottom gear key way is sitting at 12 o’clock. The dot on the bottom gear sits at about 11 o’clock and the top gear dot sits about the same. The new gear set matches up perfectly with the old set. My question is can I just install the new timing set without manually turning the engine to match the dots. I have read many posts and they say to align the dots before pulling the old set. Is this to ensure the engine timing is set correctly. With the new set identical to the old set and they only go on one way. Can I just install without lining the dots up and not mess anything up.

Input as usual is greatly appreciated!

Thank you The cap
Old 04-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Captainkvan
Hello, Don’t want to mess it up. Installing a new timing set. Didn’t align the dots on the bottom and top gears before taking the chain and gears off but the engine hasn’t moved and I have everything marked so I can put back to the way it was. The bottom gear has a key way and the top has a dowel so it can only go on one way. Engine set to 1TDC. The bottom gear key way is sitting at 12 o’clock. The dot on the bottom gear sits at about 11 o’clock and the top gear dot sits about the same. The new gear set matches up perfectly with the old set. My question is can I just install the new timing set without manually turning the engine to match the dots. I have read many posts and they say to align the dots before pulling the old set. Is this to ensure the engine timing is set correctly. With the new set identical to the old set and they only go on one way. Can I just install without lining the dots up and not mess anything up.

Input as usual is greatly appreciated!

Thank you The cap
As long as nothing has moved you can install the new gear and chain where they are. After you have installed them, I would then rotate the motor over to be sure that the dots align at 12 and 6. It is easier to double check now than to have to take everything apart later.
Aligning the dots make sure that the cam timing is correct in reference to the crankshaft position.

Last edited by Pete79L82; 04-29-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 PM
john 72-04
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming the chain did not slip on the gear or jump a tooth and it was in time when you turned off the engine you should be ok. If it stopped running or was running badly or you could not time it properly you will need to set it up properly. The way you are doing it is not the norm but if it was in time when you shut it down I see no reason why if you put it back exactly the way you took it apart it should be ok.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Captainkvan
Instructor

Thanks guys I will put it togther and double check the timing with the dots. I will crank it by hand to see if the the dots align.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default No !

Rotate the crank and cam to line up the marks . That is what the marks are for . They are not there to guess first and then check the marks after .
Do it right and then you only do it once .

Bill
Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Captainkvan
Instructor

Follow up. Thanks for the input. Installed the timing set. Used a big socket on the crank. Had to go over the key with the socket that would grab it. My crank has a shallow hole with a few threads in it, Unable to get a get bolt in it to crank it with a socket. The engine turned easy. I turned by hand and the dots lined up 6 oclock on the cam gear and 12 oclock on the crank gear. The new timing chain has no slop like the old one. Just to be extra safe Next Time I will line the dots before taking off the timing set.
Thanks Again the Cap

Get notified of new replies

To C3 350 Timing chain Install question

Quick Reply: C3 350 Timing chain Install question