Sponsored by:

Side view mirror replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM
wenger828
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side view mirror replacement!

I have a 76'. Ordered a new passenger side sideview mirror because the base was loose and the chrome was a little rusty'ish. Got the door skin apart and can't even get a fix on where the two bolts are that hold the base of the mirror stalk to the exterior.

Everything i searched is regarding the pivot ball up top but I need to replace the entire thing. How the hell do you get to the two bolts that secure the base of the stalk underneath? Is it in the skin of the door? I read somewhere briefly that I can get to them from the outside but i think thats impossible.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Chrome mirrors mount with well nuts. Only the sport mirrors mount with studs. Sport mirrors were not available for 76. If you have a pair, they've been added by a previous owner.

Remove the mounting screw at the base of the chrome mirror and the mirror should lift off.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 AM
wenger828
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Chrome mirrors mount with well nuts. Only the sport mirrors mount with studs. Sport mirrors were not available for 76. If you have a pair, they've been added by a previous owner.

Remove the mounting screw at the base of the chrome mirror and the mirror should lift off.
Thanks, no these are not the sport mirrors. These are the chrome ones. I haven't really examined it yet, got busy at my shop, but it looks like the new one comes with two bolts and two anchors (or things that look like anchors atleast)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wenger828
Thanks, no these are not the sport mirrors. These are the chrome ones. I haven't really examined it yet, got busy at my shop, but it looks like the new one comes with two bolts and two anchors (or things that look like anchors atleast)
Do you need to replace the base?

Remove the set screw and the mirror lifts off the base. You then have access to the screws that attach the base to the door, so you can tighten the base.

The new mirror should attach to the old base, so there should be no reason to remove the door panel. Everything should be able to be done from the outside of the door.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by wenger828
...looks like the new one comes with two bolts and two anchors...
For the base. After the base and gasket are installed on the door, the mirror fits over the base.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mashman
Do you need to replace the base?

Remove the set screw and the mirror lifts off the base. You then have access to the screws that attach the base to the door, so you can tighten the base.

The new mirror should attach to the old base, so there should be no reason to remove the door panel. Everything should be able to be done from the outside of the door.

The mounted base should look about like this:

Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It all comes apart on the outside. Just remove the 'side' bolt on the stem to lift the mirror off its base. Then remove the two screws on the base to remove it from the door skin.

You are working way too hard at this.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM
wenger828
Heel & Toe

yeah guys, overlooked the set screw underneath in my haste (my shops busy), new mirror came with rubber plugs that expand in the hole that worked perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Side view mirror replacement!

Quick Reply: Side view mirror replacement!