Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wheels on '72

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:52 PM
ZooVette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels on '72

Hey Guys! Talked my dad into taking over his C3 as a restoration project. Pulled the '72 out of storage today that's been been collecting dust for 10+ years. Last time the car was registered was back in '91 and has been driven less than 2k miles in the last 21 years.

A little about the car: All original/survivor car, numbers matching, Mille Miglia Red/Black Interior, Big Block hood, 59k original miles, 350, 4-Speed. Only modifications to the car are aftermarket wheels, the hood, and the dated 8 track player installed on the passenger side in the interior. Still have the OEM hood and wheels in great condition. My dad is the 3rd owner, bought it back in '77. Tried selling it a few times in the early '90s but luckily for me he held onto it

Here are some pics

I plan on picking up a new set of tires and a new battery by the end of the week. Then I have a scheduled appt. next Tuesday to take it into Robert's Corvette Center in Kalamazoo, MI to have all the fluids drained and replaced, check out and replace any parts of the frame that are rusted (my dad and I both know there are some bad spots), and to basically have the car completely checked out before it hits the road. I've got my dad to help me out, but I have limited knowledge on C3 maintenance and car maintenance in general. I have a few questions for anyone that cares to help me out:

1. Is there anything I can do in the week or so leading up to my appt. other than what I've mentioned to help keep my bill down? I have a limited skill-set as mentioned, but anything simple that a little elbow grease and time are things I can handle.

2. Does anyone recognize the wheels that are on the car? I did some research and it appears they are Western Cyclone II's?! My dad said he purchased them back in the late '70s/early '80s sometime but doesn't remember what they are/were. He also said they were a popular buy for guys to throw on their C3's

3. Any parts I should be looking for on the forum/elsewhere that would likely need to be bought and replaced?

4. What tires do guys recommend? Tires are P225/70R15. My dad says these BFGoodrich Eagle ST's that are on it were the way to go 20 years ago, but I haven't seen those available anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I submitted my original post before editing the title. My goal is to get this thing back to tip top now that I'm in my late 20s and have the appreciation and (more importantly) bank roll to restore the car. Future Pics are sure to come Thanks!

Last edited by ZooVette; 05-07-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

The part of your post that jumps off the page to me is the "check out and replace any parts of the frame that are rusted (my dad and I both know there are some bad spots), " statement.

It sounds like you are thinking there's "parts" of the frame that are just unbolted and replaced when rusted.

Generally, frame repairs require welding in sections except for the smallest of areas. Often the entire body has to come off the car. You may need to consider how major an undertaking this may be, and also consider a second opinion if the shop comes back with a staggering estimate. Be very aware of what you are agreeing to.

You could have small repairs, but this could get spendy.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:13 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Great looking Corvette and I'm glad you've got it out of storage. They don't like sitting around, that's for sure! You'll have many answers here, but allow me to add my .02 worth

1. Is there anything I can do in the week or so leading up to my appt. other than what I've mentioned to help keep my bill down? I have a limited skill-set as mentioned, but anything simple that a little elbow grease and time are things I can handle.

If you have limited skills, it's best to leave the hard stuff to the guys who know what they're doing (your trusted mechanic). Often times, people will screw stuff up, trying to fix something. We have a saying at our shop "It wasn't broke until you tried to fix it!". I'd personally wash it, wax it, clean the interior carefully, getting the dirt off've the seats and treat them with a good leather conditioner (if they're leather) or vinyl conditioner.

2. Does anyone recognize the wheels that are on the car? I did some research and it appears they are Western Cyclone II's?! My dad said he purchased them back in the late '70s/early '80s sometime but doesn't remember what they are/were. He also said they were a popular buy for guys to throw on their C3's

They are very good looking wheels (still!), I like them, but the bad part, is that (if you don't already know), 15" performance tires are nearly extinct! If you can find them, I'd go with them, until you're ready to switch out to a 17" (if that's your goal). The Torq Thrust D's are a very popular wheel on these C3 Corvettes. A lot of us, run them, because they just look 'natural' on the car.

3. Any parts I should be looking for on the forum/elsewhere that would likely need to be bought and replaced?

It depends. Let the mechanics tell you what needs replacing, but take a look under the hood and in the interior. Common items are the coolant overflow and windshield washer bottles in the engine compartment, because they're decades and decades old and they're not that expensive. The usual suspects, like belts and hoses are going to be obvious. I highly recommend getting a Factory Service Manual as well as an AIM or Assembly Manual. It doesn't have power windows (which is a good thing, these days) as they often are dead or close to dying. I'd still recommend taking the door panels off (do the research BEFORE you do this) and lubricating, with white grease, all the tracks. It probably hasn't been done in 42 years. Ditto for all the other lube points, like door hinges, front suspension, etc.

4, I answered above, about the tires, along with the wheels! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

The previous two posts cover most of the mechanical pitfalls you may encounter, and should be aware of. With respect to the wheels, which you also asked about, just about every major wheel maker offered a version of the "turbine" wheels. Western Wheels and American Racing were the two major makers back then, that offered these wheels. Appliance also offered a similar wheel, which they called the "Turbo-Vec".
Old 05-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Sure looks good!

Have to agree with Vettebuyer check the frame out first.Here's a link that shows what and where to look.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-corvette.html

Stock size tires are hard to come by if you want raised white letters but there are plenty in blackwall. I have 235 70 15 in front and 255 60 15 in the rear.

I like the western wheels, but not so keen on the red part.

You may decide to get some tools when you find out how much shops charge.

Welcome and enjoy your new Corvette.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:15 PM
ZooVette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks again for the input

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I'm not too crazy about the darker red lip on the lighter Mille Miglia red Pete, but I'll live with it for now. Sounds like I just need to get out the shop vac and hit the interior and wipe everything down make it look nice heading into the shop. I'm just anxious to get this car running!

My biggest fear with this car is obviously the frame, but Roberts' explained how certain sections can be removed and welded to the existing frame with the body on. I'm praying that's the case and it's only minor Vettebuyer! If not, I will have to reconsider the project all together and how much I'm willing to invest.

Something else I should mention regarding the frame: There's a guy locally that has a '72 GM OEM replacement frame in outstanding shape that he was trying to sell as part of a '72 project he had. He was asking somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-9k for everything. The only thing of value to me would be the frame, but he won't sell it separately (he knows that's where the value is). The car itself was a disaster. I still have the guy's number and he's only 15 minutes from my house. What would I expect to pay for a frame like this if I was able to wrestle it away from the guy? I just don't see them pop up on craigslist or anything and am fairly new to Corvetteforum and specifically the C3 section, so now I can start searching here.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZooVette
Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I'm not too crazy about the darker red lip on the lighter Mille Miglia red Pete, but I'll live with it for now. Sounds like I just need to get out the shop vac and hit the interior and wipe everything down make it look nice heading into the shop. I'm just anxious to get this car running!

My biggest fear with this car is obviously the frame, but Roberts' explained how certain sections can be removed and welded to the existing frame with the body on. I'm praying that's the case and it's only minor Vettebuyer! If not, I will have to reconsider the project all together and how much I'm willing to invest.

Something else I should mention regarding the frame: There's a guy locally that has a '72 GM OEM replacement frame in outstanding shape that he was trying to sell as part of a '72 project he had. He was asking somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-9k for everything. The only thing of value to me would be the frame, but he won't sell it separately (he knows that's where the value is). The car itself was a disaster. I still have the guy's number and he's only 15 minutes from my house. What would I expect to pay for a frame like this if I was able to wrestle it away from the guy? I just don't see them pop up on craigslist or anything and am fairly new to Corvetteforum and specifically the C3 section, so now I can start searching here.
I think new reproduction frames cost in the $4,500.00 range so you should keep looking. The car isn't going to be original anymore after the frame is replaced anyway so GM OEM doesn't add much value.

I hope you are planning to have the car flat-bedded to the shop. Your brakes are probably not going to work, or they may fail totally during a drive.

Tough to say about welding pieces to the frame with the body on. That shop could be fantastic or they could be welding on plates that they buy at Home Depot. There are restoration pieces available but for the commonly rusted areas I'm skeptical about how they can be fitted with the body in place.

Rick B.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:56 AM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Zoo,
That looks like a nice car! I wouldn't discount it much until you actually get it on a lift and see how the frame looks, may be fine (minimal)! At worst though, you can find good frames in the $2k range, and you can find shops (prob body shops) that would swap the frames for decent money. So this car has plenty potential!
I took a set of those rims off dads '78 years back ...put something else on.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket wheels on '72

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels on '72