Sponsored by:

81 wiper issues 1 more try

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 PM
chrisNY
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 81 wiper issues 1 more try

going to try and resolve this issue one last time before I decide to give up and live with it for a while longer, wipers work fine when first turned on, than after a few minutes start to hitch like a vac system, not a smooth motion (kinda annoying), and pulse never worked, replaced switch (replaced with 2 new ones, first one seemed to have a bent arm, and didn't work at all, gatta like repop, lol, sent back after being told this never happens with these switches, they are all tested, maybe the second one is bad too?), still had the hitch in the movement, but pulse kinda worked, will park in the pulse position and wipe every 12-15 seconds, so I figured lets try the new pulse module they just came out with, received it today and put it in, followed the instructions and unhooked the battery and everything just so I would not jinx it, but still the issue, not pulsing any faster and change in pulse speed at all, is there something else in the system I am missing other than replacing the motor itself? or is that all that is left to try?? any new ideas would be very gratefully appreciated, Thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

You cannt apply power directly to the motor to test it?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
chrisNY
Racer

I am kinda thinking he resistor in the cover is why its hitching, once it gets hot it fluctuates the power, the pulse it what I am trying to figure out how to test, bench testing right now actully
Old 05-09-2014, 03:43 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So... My 81 does the same thing... If I turn it past the intermittent setting they work fine... Turn it to the high setting, they work faster ... But when I get into the intermittent setting , that's when I get the same symptom.

I can vary the intermittent setting, but if I have it set to anything other than pretty close to the regular speed( little/ no delay ) I get a choppy wiper action... It'll go for a few inches across the windshield , then stop, then go a bit more , then stop, then go some more, then stop ... Until it reaches back to the hood again, and drops down in their resting position. Only to come back again and repeat the above process... And they don't always 'stop ' in the same position ... It just moves as far as it feels like moving then takes a break for a second... Lol

On my list of things to look at ... But for the moment, I'm just going past that setting or turning the delay fully to where I've got almost constant wiper motion... Will wanna hear what the experts say about this too... Good luck!

Oh... And mine will do this at any time I hit the wipers with a delay setting... So , it's not like they function properly for a while and THEN begin the symptom... It's always there...
Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 AM
chrisNY
Racer

I have the same post on tech and Wilcox has been helping me trouble shoot it if you want to follow it on there and hopefully see a result. it does not seem to big issue to a lot of us, I am betting that most of us don't really do a lot of driving in the rain lol, but I use mine as a daily driver for 6+ months a year so its really something I would like to resolve, if you search back threw older posts, this was one that I have asked about a few times over the years with no results, but I think this time I am going to get it working correctly. there shouldn't be any reason not to make them work right every part is available now to rebuild the system. there was a good post in 2003 and I think in 2009 that had very similar problems, but at that time no one was making a updated pulse module, but they do have some very interesting info. here is the link to the tech thread if you want to join it. maybe if more people want to figure it out we can fix it

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1586856569

Get notified of new replies

To 81 wiper issues 1 more try

Quick Reply: 81 wiper issues 1 more try