Sponsored by:

1979 L82 auxiliary fan switch help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
garym52
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1979 L82 auxiliary fan switch help

Hi guys, I have a 79 L82 and have been working on completing the wiring in the engine compartment. I bought a new starter harness and have the wiring intact but need the actual temp sending unit to plug in to the double prong connector that goes to the fan. fan works, I just can't seem to find the sending unit that plugs into this connection. I've looked at Willcox, eckler's, autozone, oreilly's, and all over the internet, but only seem to find senders with single prong connections.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 05-09-2014, 03:14 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The double prong temp sending unit is for the oil temp... Try your search again under that criteria... I ordered and plan to replace mine tomorrow... Was around $50 somethin bucks... And my electric fan is tied into that sending unit as well... Accidentally jumped those wires when trying to test my gauge and got the electric fan to kick on...
Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The temp switch for the auxiliary fan is on the passenger's head between #6 and #8 plugs.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM
garym52
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks guys...this is a new engine that doesn't have the switch. I figured out where to put it, and how it works, I just can't find the actual part. Everything seems to be a single wire setup and my harness is for a two wire switch....is there a way to make a single wire switch work with the factory harness? If i run the blue wire to a single prong switch will it complete the circuit once the switch grounds or is that how it even works?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:58 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by garym52
If i run the blue wire to a single prong switch will it complete the circuit once the switch grounds or is that how it even works?
yes, that's how I have mine connected. that black wire just grounds on one of the bellhousing bolts

you can see my switch here, although i
m using a grey wire because I have it controlling a relay to turn on a Spal fan

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 L82 auxiliary fan switch help

Quick Reply: 1979 L82 auxiliary fan switch help