Sponsored by:

Crate engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:36 AM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Crate engine

I have a 79 Corvette Auto, I would like to drop in a crate engine which will produce say 350-400hp.
I would like some suggestions on a turn key motor which will fit under a stock hood.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

http://pacmachineco.com/index.php?ma...index&cPath=35

http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/350_realstreet.php

http://www.tristarengines.com/catalo...es/gm/355.html

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...ng/gm-355-main

Here are some that might fit your criteria. As far as fit under the hood goes, it it dependent on the intake used. A Performer 2101 does fit and many use it.
Other intakes might fit, it all depends on stock hood clearance and air filter set-up.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:22 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 383 crate motor my PO installed was this one ... Plenty of power! He also did intake, carb, headers, and exhaust... Pretty sweet setup overall... I'm happy with his previous purchases before I got it! Lol

Barely clears the stock good, and it looks like he had the carb air cleaner stud too tall at one point and dimpled the hood before I got it.. Lowered the stud and I barely clear... Gives me a reason to look into another hood design later down the road... ;-)
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2014, 01:50 PM
gofastvette
Racer

Aftermarket engines are not made from new blocks, only those from GM will have standard parts.......Not mentioned to scare you however. Just be aware all the critical internal parts will be oversize......They should be OK if done correctly and you should have written notice of the size used if it becomes necessary to ever replace a part { ie crank, pistons and bearings }
Old 05-12-2014, 02:14 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastvette
Aftermarket engines are not made from new blocks, only those from GM will have standard parts.......Not mentioned to scare you however. Just be aware all the critical internal parts will be oversize......They should be OK if done correctly and you should have written notice of the size used if it becomes necessary to ever replace a part { ie crank, pistons and bearings }
I am curious about what it means when SmedingPerformance states "Block: New GM 4 bolt main, blueprinted in house, diamond-honed with torque plates. 9.025 deck height, 1-piece rear main seal." here.

Does it mean they get a new block from GM? (Same as a GMP crate engines?) Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought an ATK 375 HP 350 for my 1973, added Edlebrock Performer, QF 680 CFM carb and electonic ign module with short tube header.

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=HP89

ATK also offers a 383 Stroker Motor as well.

Karsten
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 PM
gofastvette
Racer

Originally Posted by RBrid
I am curious about what it means when SmedingPerformance states "Block: New GM 4 bolt main, blueprinted in house, diamond-honed with torque plates. 9.025 deck height, 1-piece rear main seal." here.

Does it mean they get a new block from GM? (Same as a GMP crate engines?) Thanks!
I would say yes, its a new block....but if they ask for a core charge or want your old engine, I don't think they merely want it for a boat anchor

GM has a performance books too you know
Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this out. The guy that wrote this is a forum member.

http://corvettec3.ca/zz4.htm

And if there's still doubt, here's some more. I'm installing a turn-key ZZ4. And I plan on using the original dual snorkel air intake because it's the best method to get cooler air into the filter. I don't expect any problems with hood clearance.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...tock-hood.html

Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Put a GM Performance Parts ZZ4 in my 68. Fits just fine. I had to use a drop base air cleaner. I bought a Morosco unit, think it cost $40. I only used the lower pan, I installed the stock top air cleaner lid. Looks completely stock. If I did it again, I'd get the ZZ383.
BIG BUCKS option is to buy a LS3 engine. They are in the GM Performance Parts catalog. You have to modify the engine mounts. It'll produce 430 hp and meet today's pollution standards. If you're car doesn 't have to be smog checked, you can reprogram it for a lot more HP...impressive from an all aluminum SB that will have a smooth idle and great fuel economy.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:28 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

I'm getting awesome mileage outta my 383 stroker... Lots of hp, and with my stock gearing and 700r4 trans it's only getting better! Trying to keep my foot outta the gas pedal to see what kind of averages I can hit... And this weekend I'm planning a road trip all highway for a few hundred miles... So I'll get a good estimate of what she's capable for long cruises... ;-)

Still need to dyno tune my engine to see what my 'actual' numbers are... Figuring my stock 2.72 rear end is going to be my limiting factor during those tests...
Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 AM
MBC75
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBrid

I purchased this engine from Smeding after much research. They do use a new GM block.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by MBC75
I purchased this engine from Smeding after much research. They do use a new GM block.
Great. Thanks for the info - appreciate it. I think that engine is quite a bit cheaper than the GM ZZ383.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 PM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Excellent response here thank you
Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Sideways73
Advanced

Warning for you, I bought my 383 from PacmachineCo they painted it the wrong color from what I requested, it was delivered 4 months later than they said it would arrive, and the customer service sucks when I called them with any questions.

This is the one I went with
http://pacmachineco.com/index.php?ma...j83t4q86kaspv0

On a good note once I finished it off and broke it in now it runs like a bat out of hell. I still have to do a write up of everything I have done to the car in the last year. I will get to it one of these weekends.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:25 AM
MBC75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sideways73
Warning for you, I bought my 383 from PacmachineCo they painted it the wrong color from what I requested, it was delivered 4 months later than they said it would arrive, and the customer service sucks when I called them with any questions.

This is the one I went with
http://pacmachineco.com/index.php?ma...j83t4q86kaspv0

On a good note once I finished it off and broke it in now it runs like a bat out of hell. I still have to do a write up of everything I have done to the car in the last year. I will get to it one of these weekends.
My experience with Smeding Performance was really good every step of the way. Very easy to customize with them, build time and delivery was exactly as stated. Very good experience, as this was my first dealing with them, I was very pleased
Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

in the c3 at 3500 lbs...(approx)... if youre already thinking crate.. really look at 383 and up in size... the difference in a 383 and a 350 is night and day as far as drivability and performance...

we live in a world of 300 hp stock v6 mustangs (rental version)... so if you want it to run like it looks ..strongly consider more cubes
Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 AM
DABall
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had to replace my worn out 454 in a '70 Coupe. I went with Carolina Machine Engines for a replacement 454 and they used my original intake manifold. I put on a new Holley 4165 spread bore carb and had no issues with the stock hood. The engine dyno'd at 450HP with 515 lbs of torque. Total cost was $4,500 complete plus they give you a 3 year warranty. I won a Hemmings Cruise-In last summer for best engine bay. I would recommend them to anyone. Great service and easy to work with to customize your build.

Get notified of new replies

To Crate engine

Quick Reply: Crate engine