Sponsored by:

Starter Identification Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starter Identification Dilemma

I have been trying to identify my starter to determine if it was born with the car OR is the correct one.....

I have tried numerous times to identify it via crawling under the car with a flashlight and looking at different angles.

Simply, put I cannot confirm a darn thing!!!!!

This is what I know.

The starter is painted black. Has the number 1108--0 C 30
Delco-Remy

I am unable to confirm the --.

I plan on getting pictures. But would it be a safe bet that since I can
see it is 1108 that this could be a correct one? The only thing is that the C 30 (or what appears C30) doesn't seem to compare to others I have seen in terms of stamp configuration. Again the stamp is faint and hard to read.

Can one identify the starter as correct just by looking at it? Let's forget the date for now. I just want to know if I am dealing with a 1971 454 starter here.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BV,
You need to post a picture to confirm it's configuration.
Only a picture of the part number and and date code stamps will confirm those.
Regards,
Alan

If yours is a 4-speed car I believe you're looking for 1108400.
Is the 0 the last number of the part number or the first number of the date stamp.
When was your car built?

Small block part #, 1A 5 …. 1971 January 5

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-13-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default stumped!

Okay here are some pictures. I went under the car again and looked hard at the stamp.

1108--0 C30

Delco-Remy

It is really hard to make out that -- but it takes the shape of 76. Is there any such starter with 1108760 that would work on a corvette with what I present here in these pictures. I cannot confirm if it is indeed 76 but that is the guess. I do not know what that C30 is all about but I can make that out.

Pics:

Old 05-14-2014, 07:21 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

I located a 1108760 Delco Remy Starter.....

The number on mine could be this. But would a restorer put this starter in a 1971 454? Would such a starter even work in my car?

I am trying to do a process of elimination.

Here is a 1108760 starter. Wrong model and year. I know it doesn't make sense but could it work in my car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-1979-Oldsmobile-350-engine-Delco-Remy-motor-starter-1108760-6A15-2-/400448658201?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3c999b19&vxp=mtr
Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
I located a 1108760 Delco Remy Starter.....

The number on mine could be this. But would a restorer put this starter in a 1971 454?
No, a "restorer" wouldn't put an Oldsmobile starter, in a 71 Corvette. That's not to say that Bubba, or his mechanic Goober, wouldn't. That is IF it would even fit.

Would such a starter even work in my car?
I don't think so. It is a block mounted starter, like your big block one, but the nose of it may be different. Chevrolets used a different bellhousing, than other GM lines. Because of this, generally Chevrolet starters, only work in Chevrolets.

If you screw around trying to use starters designed for other applications, you end up with problems such as alignment issues between the starter gear and ring gear. Of course, I guess it's possible that someone would install the correct nose, on the wrong starter, to make it work.

Here is a 1108760 starter. Wrong model and year. I know it doesn't make sense but could it work in my car?
As I said above, I don't think so. It's my understanding that Olds starters used a different nose. I may be mistaken about this, and if so, I'm sure someone will chime in to correct me.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gbvette62
No, a "restorer" wouldn't put an Oldsmobile starter, in a 71 Corvette. That's not to say that Bubba, or his mechanic Goober, wouldn't. That is IF it would even fit.

I don't think so. It is a block mounted starter, like your big block one, but the nose of it may be different. Chevrolets used a different bellhousing, than other GM lines. Because of this, generally Chevrolet starters, only work in Chevrolets.

If you screw around trying to use starters designed for other applications, you end up with problems such as alignment issues between the starter gear and ring gear. Of course, I guess it's possible that someone would install the correct nose, on the wrong starter.

As I said above, I don't think so. It's my understanding that Olds starters used a different nose. I may be mistaken about this, and if so, I'm sure someone will chime in to correct me.
Well it looks like we are leaning to an elimination of the 76 in the stamping.

Here is the other issue. WHERE IS MY SOLENOID? Shouldn't it be easily seen?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:13 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by gbvette62

If you screw around trying to use starters designed for other applications, you end up with problems such as alignment issues between the starter gear and ring gear. Of course, I guess it's possible that someone would install the correct nose, on the wrong starter, to make it work.
Hi Glenn,

I do believe that the starter can work by changing out the nose. I found my '69 to have a Pontiac starter that had the nose replaced. No issues with alignment, and starts perfectly every time.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Hi Glenn,

I do believe that the starter can work by changing out the nose. I found my '69 to have a Pontiac starter that had the nose replaced. No issues with alignment, and starts perfectly every time.
Oh gosh!!!!!!

I may have an oldsmobile starter in my car!!!!!!

I think I am going to be sick!!!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Arrows work for me!!!!!

thanks a million!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Well it looks like we are leaning to an elimination of the 76 in the stamping.

It's right were it belongs, on top of the starter. You can see it and it's retaining clip, in both the second and third picture you posted above.

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Hi Glenn,

The body of the starter motor, is pretty much the same, for all GM car lines. It's usually just the nose that changes. As long as the nose is correct for the application, and the motor has sufficient torque for that application, I assume what's stamped on the starter, doesn't really make much difference.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Very likely you have a starter that was purchased from a parts store after it went through a major rebuilder. The rebuilders pay no attention to component numbers. Case, armature, nose, whatever, as long as they will be the right size and bolt together. One tenth of 1% of us care about numbers: everyone else just needs a rebuilt starter to get their car running again.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 62corvette
Very likely you have a starter that was purchased from a parts store after it went through a major rebuilder. The rebuilders pay no attention to component numbers. Case, armature, nose, whatever, as long as they will be the right size and bolt together. One tenth of 1% of us care about numbers: everyone else just needs a rebuilt starter to get their car running again.
So can you say from the pictures posted confirm this starter was not intented for a 1971 454 manual tranny? It sure sounds like it.

You are correct in your stats but I am in the minority group.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Oldsmobile starter will not work with your car. Look at the nose casting, the opening where the ring gear enters is on the wrong side. Either that starter mounts with the solenoid facing down or it mounts on the drivers side of the engine. Of course the armature case could still work with the correct nose casting.

Why not just drop the starter and get a good look? If it is not correct you plan to replace it anyway.

Also, is that a plug wire holding up the heat riser counter-weight?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Texas70
The Oldsmobile starter will not work with your car. Look at the nose casting, the opening where the ring gear enters is on the wrong side. Either that starter mounts with the solenoid facing down or it mounts on the drivers side of the engine. Of course the armature case could still work with the correct nose casting.

Why not just drop the starter and get a good look? If it is not correct you plan to replace it anyway.

Also, is that a plug wire holding up the heat riser counter-weight?
Okay....I am a lightweight when it comes to taking things apart but I am learning. The way you are describing to drop the starter sounds like it is very easy. Can I do it without having a lift? Is it a matter of unscrewing nuts like when you remove ignition shielding. Or is this much more involved. I don't want to get into anything I cannot finish.

But I really want to confirm if it is right and I would really be able to get a good look at that stamp for certain if I had it on a table.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BV,
You can see the complete stamp with a mirror and flashlight in the starter's present position. The judges do it this way on the judging field.
If you start your search for a starter widen it to include a bb starter heat shield too.
Regards,
Alan

Also, read the description in the TIM&JG for the orientation of the bb heat riser. Section 6 in the Chassis Division.

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-14-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi BV,
You can see the complete stamp with a mirror and flashlight in the starter's present position. The judges do it this way on the judging field.
If you start your search for a starter widen it to include a bb starter heat shield too.
Regards,
Alan

Also, read the description in the TIM&JG for the orientation of the bb heat riser. Section 6 in the Chassis Division.
I have tried so many times to get a good look at the stamp. It really does appear to be 1108760....but cannot say with 100 percent certainty. But my gut feeling is that it is not the correct starter for my car. Simply one that was replaced during the restoration.

I am keeping my eyes open for one and will watch for one that includes a bb starter heat shield as well. Thanks. There is a nice starter I am watching but need to find out about the shield if it is there or if I can have the correct one added to it.

As for the heat riser I will have to make a note of it. Each battle has to be fought individually. LOL!

I am going to end up reaching my deadline and the time will come where I will have to take all the goodies that I have in boxes I located and have them put on the car. At that point I will just have to accept that this is the best I can do at this time. If I get second flight I will be so happy. I have came to terms that there is no way I am going to expect anything close to perfect. I want to at least say that I worked and earned my award. If I wish to try to go further I will.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Identification Dilemma

Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to locate a stainless big block starter shield relatively easy. Finding an original correctly dated starter will be difficult, it took eight years for me to acquire one, and I am still looking for one for the other '71.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by early shark
You should be able to locate a stainless big block starter shield relatively easy. Finding an original correctly dated starter will be difficult, it took eight years for me to acquire one, and I am still looking for one for the other '71.
Correct me if I am wrong but these starters were not specific to corvette. Take 1108400. 454 manual transmission for 1971. They are like intake manifolds. Go in any 454 regardless of model. I have seen several for sale but at stupid prices. But they are out there.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd direct all my efforts to determining if the present starter is/is not the correct one. Is there some reason you can't put the car up on stands to get underneath and look?

Quick Reply: Starter Identification Dilemma