C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advise- bonding bumpers to body 1974 -good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 PM
collins48
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need advise- bonding bumpers to body 1974 -good or bad?

hi folks, i am getting ready to take my 74 coupe into the shop for complete custom body and paint. will be modified when done. i am wanting to bond the bumpers to the body and eliminate the wrap around seam. if done properly will it crack? i have new fiberglass from ACI to install. has anyone out there done this or have any advise it would be appreciated. thanks, jerry
Old 05-14-2014, 08:48 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by collins48
hi folks, i am getting ready to take my 74 coupe into the shop for complete custom body and paint. will be modified when done. i am wanting to bond the bumpers to the body and eliminate the wrap around seam. if done properly will it crack? i have new fiberglass from ACI to install. has anyone out there done this or have any advise it would be appreciated. thanks, jerry
A lot of guys here have done what you are asking about and it does look good. If done properly using the correct adhesive like Evercoat 994, and followed with some 870 as a filler, it will not crack. If you use any urethane based adhesives under your fillers you will have problems worse than just cracking.
But for me a properly fitted bumper looks just as good and makes more practical sense from a maintenance point of view. Stuff like paint chips, scratches and so forth are much easier to deal with as long as you have that parting line there.There is also access to those parts of the car.
But like the old song says, Its your thang, Do what you wanna' do!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Boog
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by collins48
Mine have stayed the same as when done, no idea what the bodyman did to make it happen but front and back look good to me.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...4-bumpers.html
Old 05-14-2014, 12:44 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Done right they will hold up fine. Make sure SMC compatable adhesives and epoxy resins are used not polyester. I am doing the same to my 75.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Agree with the responses above. We will be going this route with our '77 as well.

Get notified of new replies

To need advise- bonding bumpers to body 1974 -good or bad?

Quick Reply: need advise- bonding bumpers to body 1974 -good or bad?