Sponsored by:

79 visor problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM
bballboy06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 visor problem

I have the visor and it will not stay up when not in use......what parts of the visor needs to be replaced?

or do i need to buy a whole new visor?

i have the circular sun visor bar

thanks
Old 05-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bballboy06
I have the visor and it will not stay up when not in use......what parts of the visor needs to be replaced?

or do i need to buy a whole new visor?

i have the circular sun visor bar
thanks
OK, here's how I fixed mine but it might not work out the same for your situation. First, I removed the retaining clip, then removed the rod by clamping a vice grip to the rod and tapping it off gently with a hammer. The rod slipped out intact with its white nylon surround. Then I did two things which are entirely discreet. The nylon had chipped off from a good portion of the surround, probably from removing it, and exposing the chromed rod tip. I then pulled back the nylon applied applied a couple of healthy coats of Woods contact cement and then pressed the nylon back down on it. When it dried reinserted the nylon surround/bushing and retainer clip - now it has something to provide friction. I then let a about three drops of super glue seep down the chrome rod section where it meets the surround/bushing that moves. After it dried by the next morning the problem was resolved. It is back to acting nearly like new.
Again, the chipped surround/bushing that exposed the chrome (nickel?) rod that turns within the nylon surround/bushing was the lucky break, probably caused when I tapped it out of the visor retainer arm.

Quick Reply: 79 visor problem