Sponsored by:

79 power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:34 PM
wonl2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 79 power window problem

Took the vette out today to a car show and everything was great. After the show we went out for dinner so I put in the tops and closed the windows. When we finished dinner about an hour later I started the car and powered the windows to go down. The drivers side window went all the way down as it always has, the passenger window stopped about 2" from being all the way down and wouldn't go down any further. I could raise the window but the window wouldn't go down. I powered the window all the way up and there it stays, won't go down. The drivers window still works properly. Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks in advance for all replies!

Phil
Old 05-25-2014, 10:58 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wonl2
Took the vette out today to a car show and everything was great. After the show we went out for dinner so I put in the tops and closed the windows. When we finished dinner about an hour later I started the car and powered the windows to go down. The drivers side window went all the way down as it always has, the passenger window stopped about 2" from being all the way down and wouldn't go down any further. I could raise the window but the window wouldn't go down. I powered the window all the way up and there it stays, won't go down. The drivers window still works properly. Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks in advance for all replies!

Phil
It could be the switch or it could be something else. Your post isn't 100% clear. Are you saying nothing happens now? If nothing happens do the interior lights dim when you hit the power window switch?
Old 05-25-2014, 05:22 PM
wonl2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything in the car is the same as before the passenger window stopped going down. The lights don't dim, there is no hum, clicking or noise coming from the motor when the switch is activated. I was doing some homework (internet search) and possible causes consist of:
1. loose ground
2. bad/loose wiring
3. bad switch
4. bad motor
Old 05-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default None of the above.

Originally Posted by wonl2
Everything in the car is the same as before the passenger window stopped going down. The lights don't dim, there is no hum, clicking or noise coming from the motor when the switch is activated. I was doing some homework (internet search) and possible causes consist of:
1. loose ground
2. bad/loose wiring
3. bad switch
4. bad motor
My guess is that the regulator is hanging up, you'll have to remove the door panel and see what the problem is.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Boy.. I thought I posted in here last night.. but I guess I got my threads confused. I tried to find it earlier today and couldn't.. anyway..

this isn't for a 1979 but it's pretty much the same and the diagnostics are the same.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 power window problem

Quick Reply: 79 power window problem