Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me find my dad's old vette...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 AM
Makko16
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me find my dad's old vette...

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find my dad's old corvette but I don't know where to start. I would love to find my dad's old C3 but I don't have much info on it and I don't know where to start. Here's a picture of it. Anyone out there have any experience tracking down old cars? What steps should I take to make it happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Last edited by Makko16; 10-09-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:09 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you know the vin, you could try checking the corvette registry to see if it comes up there... ???
Old 05-31-2014, 02:18 AM
Makko16
Instructor

Don't know the vin... Any way to look up the vin by owner's name? Or maybe drivers license #? I might be able to get that info...
Old 05-31-2014, 02:36 AM
subtlez28
Racer

Do you have any other pics that show the license plate?

It is a long shot, but you may be able to use it to get the vin through DOT.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Your pic could be 75-77. Can you recall the model year? Have you talked to your Mom to see whether she may have additional pictures or paperwork on the car stashed away in a box? Any old inusurance, inspection, or maintenance records available. Old license receipts?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 AM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

As stated you will probably need to start with the VIN. I went on a search (or tried to) a few years back for an LS6 Chevelle that I had purchased new and kept for about 5 years. I started with the dealership, they only keep records a couple of years. Bank, same thing. Insurance company, same thing. I was amazed that records are not kept very long at all by places that you would assume they would be. After striking out on the obvious sources I got creative and dug deeper. Called the college I attended, since I had a parking pass, to see if they had records. Of course they had my grades (we wont discuss those) but nothing else. I had gotten one ticket for not having proof of insurance which was cleared when I showed proof later. I called the State Police office where that transaction had taken place but no luck finding anything there. I had a minor touch up done on the car from a scrape shortly after I got it and used Google maps to find the body shop. I remembered where it was but not the name. Looking at streetview I saw the shop was still there and recognized the name. I called, talked to the owner and he told me he had just recently discarded his old records. He would have had my VIN but I missed it by 3 months! That was the closest I got. Bottom line is it can be extremely difficult to find an old VIN. Maybe you can try some of the things I did and have better luck.

Last edited by 68/BB; 05-31-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:24 PM
Makko16
Instructor

I'm going to visit my mom later today so I'll start looking through her old files and photos. Hopefully I get lucky and find something to get the VIN. If I manage to get the VIN, what then? Is it easy once I get the VIN? Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 06-01-2014, 04:28 AM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.c3vr.com/

http://www.c3registry.com/

www.autoancestry.com

I tried to go through DMV, no luck. Too many A-Holes out there stalking, so DMV will not release information. If you have a connection in Law Enforcement they may be able to run the Vin if you find it.

Auto Ancestry will charge you, they will tell you if they can help before they charge you, or tell you what to do, to find your own information.

I had a 350/350hp 1969 for my other corvette, from another Corvette, I contacted the owner of the car, but he never responded, I Thought he may have wanted to buy it from me and put it back in the car, to have a matching numbers car.

The c-3 registry may have your car, the present car that I have was not listed until I bought it.

Good Luck, I hope you have better luck then me.

Last edited by harris1507; 06-01-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Makko16
...If I manage to get the VIN, what then? Is it easy once I get the VIN?...
Possibly not easy, but without a VIN, you won't have much of a chance finding the car. There were about 139,000 assembled 75-77.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:11 PM
corvette_snoopy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are able to track it down are you going to try to buy it? That would be sweet.

My first car back in 1980 was a real nice 1969 Mach 1 Mustang, I was the envy of the high school. Around 87 I stupidly got into nose candy and lost interest in everything but. Sold the car and when I am on my death bed that will be the biggest regret I will have had in my life. Wish I could track it down, but have nothing to go on.

Best of luck with your search, sure hope you find it.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Makko16
Instructor

Originally Posted by harris1507
http://www.c3vr.com/

http://www.c3registry.com/

www.autoancestry.com

I tried to go through DMV, no luck. Too many A-Holes out there stalking, so DMV will not release information. If you have a connection in Law Enforcement they may be able to run the Vin if you find it.

Auto Ancestry will charge you, they will tell you if they can help before they charge you, or tell you what to do, to find your own information.

I had a 350/350hp 1969 for my other corvette, from another Corvette, I contacted the owner of the car, but he never responded, I Thought he may have wanted to buy it from me and put it back in the car, to have a matching numbers car.

The c-3 registry may have your car, the present car that I have was not listed until I bought it.

Good Luck, I hope you have better luck then me.
Thanks for the info! My mom is going through old files this week to try and find something. Hopefully she can find the VIN... If I am able to track it down, and it still exists, I will try to buy it. Would be amazing to find and buy the car if things work out. I'll be back here with any updates. Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 AM
ChaosPhoenixFix
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck. I know I would love to track down my dads 69 he sold to buy the house my mom lives in. And my Grandpa's 85 Monte Carlo is another one I would love to track down.

Good luck with your search. I lost my dad about 3 years ago, and he left me my 79, but it sure would be awesome to find his first Vette, if I couldn't buy it, I would love to park them side by side for some pictures. My mom said she saw one at the Paragon show 2 or 3 years ago that looked EXACTLY as she remembered it. Never did manage to track down the owner to ask him though.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you try the mechanic shop that used to work on it, they may have some old records that will help in your quest. Good luck
Old 06-04-2014, 03:27 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Your pic could be 75-77. Can you recall the model year? Have you talked to your Mom to see whether she may have additional pictures or paperwork on the car stashed away in a box? Any old inusurance, inspection, or maintenance records available. Old license receipts?
Looks like it says stingray on the fender. narrows it down to a '75-76
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Asking where to look to find it elsewhere is a good idea.

Don't forget to post up as much info as you have right here.

Someone on the forum may know the car.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Vettereturned
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I know how lucky I am to have my '70 back after thirty four years. Good luck with your search. All good advise has already been provided so I cannot offer much. In my case the car just leap frogged from one owner to the next within one corporation. I did not know the last owner but my Sister-In-Law did, it only took one phone call and a check.

Possibly some of your Dad's friends or previous co-works could give you a lead on the car. I hope you find it to enjoy the memories.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:54 PM
qvette
Heel & Toe

You are in Miami, nobody buys and sell more C3's than Miami Vettes, he also works on vettes, he services both my 79 and 94, for some reason the owner is also a P.I, if you want his number pm me and I will gladly give it to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me find my dad's old vette...

Old 06-07-2014, 12:27 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by The Punisher

Old 06-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Makko16
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Still looking for more info at my moms house but she confirmed it was a 76. Will be back here with any info I find and let's you guys know how my search turns out!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Makko16
Instructor

Originally Posted by qvette
You are in Miami, nobody buys and sell more C3's than Miami Vettes, he also works on vettes, he services both my 79 and 94, for some reason the owner is also a P.I, if you want his number pm me and I will gladly give it to you.
PM sent!

Quick Reply: Help me find my dad's old vette...