Sponsored by:

Moment I Became Self Aware I Was Crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack605
Punisher, have you thought about raising the vent up and getting rid of the depression? Thinking that would bring you closer to the C7 look. I do like how you cut and angled the hood.
I think when I'm done angling the front and sides down to the vent it won't look as deep as it does now. Right now the vents are a dead 90degree drop. 2014 is more sloped...but as you can see still more recessed than you think. I'm not sure it'll look very good if I just make the vent flush with the hood.

all also be extending my depression like the 2014 to go past the vent at least 40-50% before it levels out.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 06-11-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the look and can't wait to see finished product. Are you gonna put a mesh grill under vent.... just throwing it out there
Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Been waiting 2 days for C7 guys to get me some measurements and still nothing or else I'd be further.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:59 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Well... My garage has never been more dirty in the 4 years I've lived here... even when I was sandblasting the frame.

I need to get organized! Bought another fan or two and will start exhausting the dust out the second I create it... hopefully that'll help instead of sanding with the door down and no fans on.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

I tried to do WAY!!!!!!!!!! too big an area tonight. Not sure why but after about 2 hours of glassing the stuff started to get super hot and smoking!
Live and learn... smaller areas at at time
Hopefully it didn't hurt anything or create a ton of bubbles I don't want...I'll find out later I guess.

I'm near POSITIVE i'll never be able to get the black part detached once it hardens...but it was the only way I really liked glassing the edge knowing it was in the right spot and wouldn't take me hours sanding to fit.

may not look like much but about 2 inches thick to build up took FOREVER!!! and used up a Lot of glass and epoxy expensive project I guess.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 06-15-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

You're on your way now!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
I tried to do WAY!!!!!!!!!! too big an area tonight. Not sure why but after about 2 hours of glassing the stuff started to get super hot and smoking!
Live and learn... smaller areas at at time
Hopefully it didn't hurt anything or create a ton of bubbles I don't want...I'll find out later I guess.

I'm near POSITIVE i'll never be able to get the black part detached once it hardens...but it was the only way I really liked glassing the edge knowing it was in the right spot and wouldn't take me hours sanding to fit.

may not look like much but about 2 inches thick to build up took FOREVER!!! and used up a Lot of glass and epoxy expensive project I guess.

Looking forward to seeing it done.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

It worked better than I imagined it would... almost like it was planned that way

Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the glass starts to smoke you have put in too much hardener.The area that was smoking may become very brittle.Myself,I would grind out and reglass.
A trick to keeping the glass from sticking to the plastic,heavy coat of wax and do not wipe the wax off the plastic.Let it dry and than glass.I would say it will release about 80% of the times,from the glass.
Project looks good.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:09 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

I'm not going to redue the section. It didn't smoke till I was 99% done and is only a fraction of a circle that will hold the vent in place...and hold it in place way overkill anyway. I used 5 pumps epoxy and 4 hardener on the other side and it didn't seem to get very hot this time.

so far it's going well. Wish I was done but figured I'd keep bugging you all with constant minor updates till you lose interest
This is definitely the largest fiberglassing project I'll hopefully ever do! lol. I applaud anyone else that does something bigger/better as it's not easy work!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:58 PM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats perty cool
Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 AM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the look.Keep posting.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The more that I'm around C7 cars, the more they grow on me. It was their tail lights that turned me off most but after all these months, even they don't seem so out of place.

I like your idea, Punisher. Combining a small new piece to the overall car and making it functional is what I find most pleasing. If it was simply being grafted with no venting, then I wouldn't see it as effective. My own opinion, FWIW.

I read Shark Racers opinion and respect that. I agree that '69 cars may hold the most prestige in their OEM or near-stock form but in the end, the car is the owners to do with as he pleases. Considering that it wasn't all OEM when he brought it home, then I wish him well with this or any other change that he desires.

There will be enough standard/stock '69's of various options to satisfy most folks that the early chrome bumper cars won't die out like the dinosaurs. I suspect that as hobbyists, that we can have our cake and eat it too.

Good luck, Punisher and keep us posted.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dustup7T2
The more that I'm around C7 cars, the more they grow on me. It was their tail lights that turned me off most but after all these months, even they don't seem so out of place.

I like your idea, Punisher. Combining a small new piece to the overall car and making it functional is what I find most pleasing. If it was simply being grafted with no venting, then I wouldn't see it as effective. My own opinion, FWIW.

I read Shark Racers opinion and respect that. I agree that '69 cars may hold the most prestige in their OEM or near-stock form but in the end, the car is the owners to do with as he pleases. Considering that it wasn't all OEM when he brought it home, then I wish him well with this or any other change that he desires.

There will be enough standard/stock '69's of various options to satisfy most folks that the early chrome bumper cars won't die out like the dinosaurs. I suspect that as hobbyists, that we can have our cake and eat it too.

Good luck, Punisher and keep us posted.
Thanks
Yeah. I guess I'm a little younger than most here or who even own a corvette and the idea of a stock '69 to me sounds terribly boring...not to mention the time/money it would have cost me to get mine back to that. This may not be for most I'll admit that

Either way this hood doesn't matter since I still have the stock hood and plan on painting it to match as practice. It's the drivetrain/suspension that would cost someone else a bunch getting it back to stock if they chose to. But those people would be stupid to buy mine anyway so I'm not going to pander to them.

I hope this vent works or i'll be sad lol. I'm worried about water getting down it since it's not going to be set up 100% like the C7. Once I get the vent in place i'll have to address the intake options.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Here's my cheap 90degree intake I did last year just to get the thing running. not sure how it'll work with the new hood.

I might have to make my own intake. go 90degrees straight down and create my own rain guard for it.

Keep the cheap 90degree one and create a small shield where it might get wet if it rained.

not sure yet.

don't have a heart attack stock ****'s lol.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:51 PM
wolfemc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Nailed it!

Man, forget the buzz killers on here - you nailed the restomod angle with this one. Some are acting like you're putting on a hatch back or something. Keep it up and keep the incremental posts coming

What motor and trans did you slip in? PITA?
Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by wolfemc
Man, forget the buzz killers on here - you nailed the restomod angle with this one. Some are acting like you're putting on a hatch back or something. Keep it up and keep the incremental posts coming

What motor and trans did you slip in? PITA?
Thanks man.
I'd like the car to be done and driving it... but I know if I rush things I won't like it when done...so might as well keep chugging along.

I went with an '02 trans am LS1/T56 combo. Every thing I do takes me a long time the first time as I'm learning from scratch. It wasn't a PITA...but it wasn't easy for me either. Luckily there were enough that have done it here to help and get me through it.

Get notified of new replies

To Moment I Became Self Aware I Was Crazy!

Old 06-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
I guess I'm a little younger than most here or who even own a corvette and the idea of a stock '69 to me sounds terribly boring...not to mention the time/money it would have cost me to get mine back to that. This may not be for most I'll admit that
If it colors your perspective at all - I'm not much older than you and I've owned my 78 since I was much younger than you, and it's not stock.

It's sitting in the garage right now waiting for something that just arrived on Friday to go in.

More details later.

I still stand by this - whatever you do, don't put that ugly C7 stingray emblem on there.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
If it colors your perspective at all - I'm not much older than you and I've owned my 78 since I was much younger than you, and it's not stock.

It's sitting in the garage right now waiting for something that just arrived on Friday to go in.

More details later.

I still stand by this - whatever you do, don't put that ugly C7 stingray emblem on there.
I won't put the emblem on but was thinking about the taillights since everyone seems to like them.
I had my '96 C4 at 18yo and a trans am at 16yo.. both got me in WAY more trouble than this has...but then again this has barely left the garage in 4 years so we'll see what happens eventually. Wanted to learn how to work on cars so sold them and got the C3... it's definitely cost me way more than those ever did but has also taught me more then they ever could have.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 06-22-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:35 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Well I did a TON of glassing last night. I hate to say it but I think the easy part is over... time to take FOREVER to make it look good and fit right now.

Quick Reply: Moment I Became Self Aware I Was Crazy!