Sponsored by:

Im in over my head with electrical, interior shift console. 79

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Have the electrical diagrams, I seem to have lost my secret captain crunch decoder ring. Holy crap, where does one begin? I have so many cut wires it makes my head spin. Can someone help identify some of these wires or have a better solution? This white block has a plug coming from it with 4 wires black, yellow, red, and green. The red and yellow are cut. The red has no label, but the yellow says radio. The green and black got the black plug in the picture, which has a fused link orange wire which is also cut, that is labeled battery. I have no idea what that other red wire is sprouting up from the wiring harness lol but if anyone can help in any way or direct me to something that is easier to understand than those diagrams that would be OH so helpful

Last edited by Tooonz; 06-07-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:45 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

That delay unit is part of a "service replacement" power antenna harness.
Not even necessary.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-question.html

That bundle of green/white/gray wires go from the antenna relay to the antenna. May have been extra long since it was a replacement harness so they bundled it up.

Last edited by KapsSA; 06-07-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, does that link pretty much state what I must do with these wires if I want to use the power antenna ? I don't even know if it works, PO used an antenna stuffed behind e drivers seat.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Post 4 in that link removes the timer.
Yellow and orange should go to the antenna relay at the rear most of the console.
White/gray/green connect to the same relay and go to the antenna.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, the part I'm confused about is the yellow and orange never were connected to the car in any way other than at the plug. Before I clip any wires were should the yellow connect to on the car and where does the orange go? Sorry to be such an amateur on this. I bought they were cut but it appears they were ever connected.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:01 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

The orange SHOULD go to "batt" power so it's always hot.
Yellow goes to radio antenna trigger wire, also yellow.
A factory radio would have TWO yellow wires in the top harness plug going to the radio. Follow the one that goes into the console.

This is all assuming you have a factory or GM serv replacement antenna and not something aftermarket.

Does that white/gray/green bundle go anywhere?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok I did tie the orange into an orange wire that had been tapped before, the yellow I found one that had been cut before and left open, so I connected there, I will go over it all again tomorrow, I did make the other connections on that other thread that removed that timer. I can't test it because I have he engine out. Just trying to button up the interior and tie up loose ends. Thank you very much . I believe the wires were factory because the label tags were identical to others in the harness under the console
Old 06-08-2014, 06:36 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tooonz
I believe the wires were factory because the label tags were identical to others in the harness under the console
Service replacement. Factory wouldn't be labeled like that. Or bundled up like that.
Like mentioned in that linked thread Corvettes didn't use a timer, and others have found the antenna simply wouldn't work with it in the harness.
I have no idea why it's even there. To leave the antenna extended for 30 sec after leaving the car? Why?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes service replacement , I miss labeled that. I don't think it was after market. But the interesting thing is it was never hooked up correctly. The PO used a fixed antenna behind the drivers seat.

Get notified of new replies

To Im in over my head with electrical, interior shift console. 79

Quick Reply: Im in over my head with electrical, interior shift console. 79