Sponsored by:

CS144 conversion and wiring upgrades - 72 BB

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Default CS144 conversion and wiring upgrades - 72 BB

In the process of switching to electric fans decided to switch to an alt that would provide a few more amps at/near idle (also wanted to get rid of the lights pulsing to the music when stopped at a light, a little to tuner for me)

After reading up on the various options, pro's and cons to the SI12 and cs130's as well as the retro-built version of everything, decided to go ahead and switch to a 140A CS144 out of a loaded Buick

Unit tested very good but looked like it was taken off a Buick

Blew everything apart, checked the bearings etc and did some TLC

You can use a paper clip or other thin wire to hold the brushes in when putting everything back together

See it sticking out the access hole here

Once the armature is back in you pull the wire out and the brushes are free to do their thing

The CS144 is physically larger than the old SI model and I previously has some clearance problems from the alt to the valve cover (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...lve-cover.html) so I needed to open the bracket and also raise the alt slightly

While the engine was on the stand, installed everything and went ahead and cut the alt bracket in a semi-straight area
Installed the new alt and set it to the mid point of the slot with about 1/4 clearance on the valve cover. Then clamped a piece of metal to the two halves to mark the needed change

Hard to see here but the elongated section (made from a piece of heavy angle iron) adding approx. 7/8" between the two halves with a slight angle to maintain alignment on the pulley (bracket may have been slightly bent originally) Lots of filing and fitting before passing it to my brother to be fully welded, then some clean up and powder coating

Wiring

To handle the new alt, fans etc. changed / added:

8g run from the alt to the horn relay terminal replacing existing 10g then another 8g run to the starter lug with a 12g fusible link near the starter end.

8g ground run from alt to rad-support replacing existing 12g

The fan relays run off a separate 4g run from the starter lug to a fused distribution block

Wiring the CS144 required the addition of a resistor to the alt, if you check around you'll find that the resistance on the lead needs to be somewhere between 35ohms and 500 ohms (depending on who you believe) and with only a gauge, I needed to add resistance (if the car has a batt. light that should be enough resistance) you can check by disconnecting the positive cable and measuring between the cable and the alt wire to see what the resistance is.

I purchased two different adapters, one from a vette supplier, the other from NAPA, that were supposed to be the correct ones with the resistor, neither were. There was a story floating around that a bunch were mis-boxed but if you get one, open the conduit and see if there is a resistor heat-shrunk on the wire, don't trust the part number on the box

Added a 150ohm, 2w resistor to the line ***** (This was a smaller 1/2w resistor which functioned but after talking with different people I replaced it with this 2-watt one) *****

Some loom and a bit of cleanup

All (most) information distilled from many, many posts here and on DC and a few others. including those from D_B, MrVette, Z-Man, KaiserBud etc.etc.etc.

Another insignificant job checked off.
M

Last edited by Mooser; 12-01-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: fix photobucket mess
The following users liked this post:
C3Wescott (03-15-2022)
Old 06-12-2014, 03:12 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I am curious why you went with that belt configuration for the Alternator rather than one that goes also to the Crank/WP pulleys? You are likely to have a "screecher" with that setup....
Old 06-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Originally Posted by pws69
I am curious why you went with that belt configuration for the Alternator rather than one that goes also to the Crank/WP pulleys? You are likely to have a "screecher" with that setup....
It's the factory configuration for the car, I've run it that way (with the original alt) forever without issue.
M
Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Ahaaaaa.....no more voltmeter needle swinging left at every traffic light when the fans turn on!

Old 06-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Ahaaaaa.....no more voltmeter needle swinging left at every traffic light when the fans turn on!

The fans are a new addition this time around but mine would dim the lights with the stereo when idling so same problem.

Will pull the amp gauge and install a new volt gauge when I move to the interior again
M
Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
It's the factory configuration for the car, I've run it that way (with the original alt) forever without issue.
M
Aha! Cool - the setup look great! I have a SB, no PS, Dual Spals - I put a CS144 on and it has been superb. Single belt doesn't thrill me, particularly when it kisses the top radiator hose! I need to come up with a "guard" like what has been floating around here recently.

Good luck with it!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Originally Posted by pws69
Aha! Cool - the setup look great! I have a SB, no PS, Dual Spals - I put a CS144 on and it has been superb. Single belt doesn't thrill me, particularly when it kisses the top radiator hose! I need to come up with a "guard" like what has been floating around here recently.

Good luck with it!

I hear you there. Clearance even with the belt dropping almost straight down is less than spectacular.

M

Last edited by Mooser; 12-01-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: fix photobucket mess

Get notified of new replies

To CS144 conversion and wiring upgrades - 72 BB

Quick Reply: CS144 conversion and wiring upgrades - 72 BB