Sponsored by:

Best bang for the buck steering and suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 PM
wolfemc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Best bang for the buck steering and suspension upgrades

So I picked up a '69 vert driver at a price I couldn't get hurt on...and when you get out of a C6 Z06 and slip into the '69 the ride is downright scary

I've checked out the Steeroids and Rack attack and don't see a lot of difference between the two, so price and service would be the deciding factors. Am I missing any other good performance steering options for less than $1200?

How about coil overs? Any recommendations semi-coil vs coil? Pretty sure I don't want transverse springs at least in the front.

Other recommended upgrades to suspension?
I do plan on fab'ing and installing a spreader bar and eventually doing a C6 brake upgrade.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Check into Borgeson, it's an integral power steering box modified to fit our cars. Far less expensive and great steering!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

replace all your rubber bushings, including body mount bushings, rebuild the steering box, replace the shocks with OEM style, get it four wheel aligned, and make sure your tires are good. you really will be suppressed how nice your car will ride and handle. if you want your car to ride like a new one sell it and keep your new one. or dump a crap load of money into poorly designed off shore parts
Old 06-18-2014, 09:17 PM
wolfemc
Racer

Forgot to mention that one of the first tasks will be a full poly bushing kit install. Not looking for debate on poly vs rubber. I've researched enough to make that decision for what i want the car to do. Not interested in rebuilding the stock steering box...'75 (or others), can you compare performance of Borgeson vs rack & pinion? Borgeson can be had for $600, so if its a good bit better than stock and not significantly below the R&P, might be a good option for me.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I have not driven one with a rack conversion, but I think Gordonm recently did a borgeson conversion and indicated it was comparable to his with the rack.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfemc
Forgot to mention that one of the first tasks will be a full poly bushing kit install. Not looking for debate on poly vs rubber. I've researched enough to make that decision for what i want the car to do. Not interested in rebuilding the stock steering box...'75 (or others), can you compare performance of Borgeson vs rack & pinion? Borgeson can be had for $600, so if its a good bit better than stock and not significantly below the R&P, might be a good option for me.
I have not driven mine yet, but I went with coil overs in front a the composite spring in the rear. I found a great price on a used steroids that was only on a vehicle but not driven. One of the reasons I went with coil overs in front was it gives me the ability to raise and lower the ride height.
I bought both front and rear springs from VB&P.

Tim
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
wolfemc
Racer

Thanks Tim, i definitely want the ride height adjustment in the front. Did you go with their kit with a-arms?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have the steeroids on my car and have done a few of these on others cars. Great system and a big improvement over the stock setup. I have also done a few Borgeson swaps also. I like this system also. So much I have removed the steeroids and just installed the Borgeson on my car. I don't expect a whole lot of improvement other than the plumbing of the system is a lot easier and with the LS3 in my car the plumbing is cleaner and I don't have hoses running where I don't want them. I have not driven it yet but I expect it to be comparable to the Steeroids.

As for the rest of the suspension, everything on mine has been replaced and I have transverse front and dual mount rear spring and just about everything else VB. Has to offer. Much improved with full adjustability of spring rate and ride height. Pretty satisfied. If you think it compares to a newer Z06 no way in well you know it cant even come close. I have driven the newer Z06 and it is like riding on your couch compared to mine.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 PM
wolfemc
Racer

Thanks for the comment GordonM, from what ive come across so far you're one of the primary experts on this topic. I dont have any delusions of a C6 ride on a C3 chassis, just want to get the car tracking true and sticking a little better.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfemc
Thanks Tim, i definitely want the ride height adjustment in the front. Did you go with their kit with a-arms?
No I went with just the coil over kit, I rebuilt my original arms. Maybe down the road but for now just trying to get the engine done so It moves under it own power.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Just drive it for a season. YES, sure there is a difference between the C3 and C6 cars.

Don't try make an old car into a new car. Appreciate the difference.

You will get lots more looks and waves with the 69 than the newer C6.

Just be safe and have fun with the new car you have, Upgrade ONLY if absolutely necessary.
The following users liked this post:
Kslongrider (04-19-2023)
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Just drive it for a season.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 PM
wolfemc
Racer

For sure...the first step is maintenance of the worn bushings, then drive for awhile before the next upgrade. Im not the type to let it sit. Ive got a #'s match 1970 L-46 in the basement (in pieces) i'll keep stock. This one is getting the bolt-on restomod treatment
Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Then next year if absolutely necessary do upgrades with an overall plan. Not bushings without shocks and springs, etc... Bushings only is not a balanced way to upgrade. Make an entire balanced plan for purpose. If you plan on 1/4 mile shots that is one thing, road courses another, cruising around town another (AND less expensive because stock is fine.)

Just spend money on wax and polish and feel great cruising in a classic car.

I hope I emphasized "Absolutely" enough above. Great to cruise in a cool older Corvette. NO ONE, even you would know there is a new bushing kit in it..
Old 06-19-2014, 01:44 AM
lopozza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what steering upgrade you do, GET A SPREADER BAR.
Best $129 I spent on my car. No more flex or vague handling in corners.
A good 4 wheel alignment is also money well spent.

Get notified of new replies

To Best bang for the buck steering and suspension upgrades

Quick Reply: Best bang for the buck steering and suspension upgrades