Gaining Addition Reach to Strg Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Gaining Addition Reach to Strg Wheel

I received a PM this morning. It asked if there was any installation adjustment possible with a 1969 thru 1976 standard (non-adustable) Corvette steering column so that the reach to the steering wheel could be increased.

I did some calculations and arrived at the conclusion that a 1977 or a 1978-79) Vette steering column would increase the reach to the steering wheel by roughly 2 inches. Here is the question and my response:
--------------------------
I just purchased a 72 coupe that I really like except that the steering wheel is way too close to me.
I have the seat all the way back and it feels like the wheel is just way too close ?
It has the standard column in it, not a tele unit.

My question is , Is there any adjustment in the column installation ?
It seems like the wheel is about 8-10" away from the dash.
I am hoping that I can loosen something and slide the column forward ??
Thanks Scott,

Scott,
No adjustment available.
But here is a possible way to gain about 2 inches of additional reach to your steering wheel.
Find a 1977 Corvette standard column. It should bolt right in and your steering wheel will be just about 2 inches further away from you and closer to your instrument cluster.

If you can find a 1978 or 1979 Corvette steering column it will also fit except that you will need to shorten the plastic shroud to clear the cutout in the instrument cluster. It will fit the same except for the shroud rework.

Here is a paper on making the installation. It is based on swapping a tilt & telescoping column not a standard column. However, the shroud rework (1978 and 79) should be the same. All other steps should be identical.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=894

Good luck,
Jim
Old 06-28-2014, 09:29 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

And as for the original column......box/label/place on high shelf

(I learned that from the Forum members )
Old 06-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Fact: Tilt & Telescoping steering columns became the only available steering column around mid 1979. So don't even look for a non-adjustable column later than that.

There are a couple of other positive features to the swap.
1. The 1977-79 Vette Columns have a small trip lever next to the ignition key and do not require the cumbersome backdrive cable connecting the steering column to the transmission. Another plus, without the cable, headers will route and fit better.
2. You can move your headlight dimmer wiring from the floor switch to the steering column mounted switch and actuate the dimmer with the turn signal lever.
3. Make sure that you purchase the OEM turn signal lever with the column. Your 1973 lever will not fit the new steering column.

Again, Good luck,
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Gaining Addition Reach to Strg Wheel

Quick Reply: Gaining Addition Reach to Strg Wheel