C3 Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Forsberg112
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Newbie

Hello everyone!

Just received my 73 L48 today and got to do some decent driving around town. Here are a couple of things I noticed and hope I can get some feedback from everyone:

Passenger Headlight works, but driver side does not and manual override does not help.

Car started to sputter after about 10 min of driving, only shifting into second and third

Car needs to be given good gas before letting off of the clutch, is this normal for these types of cars?

Cheers!
Anthony
Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey Anthony , welcome to the '73 club. A little more info on the car may be needed. Has it been sitting for a long while? Maybe bad gas and in need of a tune up. If you're used to modern fuel injected cars and this is your first time with a carb you will need to give a little more gas than what you have been used to. Your rear end gear ratio may play a part in your take off, if it's a tall gear you will have to give a little more gas to get moving. Your headlight could be vacuum, i'm sure other members will chime in soon with better solutions and advice. You have come to the right place to get answers. Oh and pictures of your car would certainly be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome

As far as your headlight issue, start by tracing all your vacuum lines and make sure nothing is leaking or disconnected. This link should help you out.

http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm
Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Tahlee
Advanced

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a newbie here. My C3 is an '81. Have a great day!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats on the '73!

Pictures are a must around here. You got a new ride, show it off!

As others have said, need a little more information. What condition overall is it in? Is it something that was sold to you as an every day driver and ready to go? Or did you know it would need a little work in the future?

Also, let us know where you are located, and potentially see if there is a local cruise in or club that can help answer some of your questions along the way. But this forum is a great resource as well.

Enjoy and don't forget to wave!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Forsberg112
6th Gear

I will definitely post some pics as soon as I can.

I didn't look like it had been sitting for a long period of time. I bought it from a dealer here in Denver that specializes in Corvettes. I will definitely be doing some work on it and planned on it when i bought it. The interior is in great shape and the body is too. It needs a new paint job which is something I plan on getting done when winter rolls around.

I didn't have as much of the sputter issue this morning, but when I started it up it died and i realized I need to give it some good gas until it was ready to idle. Due to the smell of the gas that it is putting off, i would imagine that it might be running rich or possible in need of a new fuel pump. I am used to the new fuel injection as my daily driver is a 2013 Camaro SS, so I know I need to get used to the Carb again, it has been a while.

I found a great diagram here last night after my post on all of the Vacuum lines, so that will be my 4th of July weekend project.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

i would imagine that it might be running rich or possible in need of a new fuel pump.
Congrats on the '73! I wouldn't imagine, I would verify with tests if its
-a clogged air filter?
-bad carb or jets?
-bad spark / electrical..
- vacuum leaks - weird shorts, etc.
Good luck
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Forsberg112
6th Gear

Here are some pics of the exterior

Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Since you bought it from a dealer, I have to ask. Were the terms of the sale "as is" or will they service it within a period of time? This sputtering issue did not happen when you inspected and test drove it prior to driving off the lot? Anyway, as others have stated, it could be a number of things, but also consider the distributors advance curve. Good luck and have fun getting that 73 motor to hum!

Last edited by Lupigiato; 07-03-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Forsberg112
6th Gear

It was sold as is and I didn't have Anya of those issues on inspection or test drive. It ran like a champ today! I could still smell some gas, but did. It have any sputtering issues, I made sure to give it more gas and not treat it like my Camaro so it may have Ben user error but I will continue to monitor and diagnose where needed with some testing.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Gotcha. Soon enough you will know the 73 as well as your other cars. Have fun!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Welcome to the Forum....it's a sharp-looking car!

You'll get all the bugs worked out.

The fact that you are driving the car immediately after buying it puts you WAY ahead of me!

Keep the pictures and upgrades coming.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 PM
marc1973
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forsberg112
Hello everyone!

Just received my 73 L48 today and got to do some decent driving around town. Here are a couple of things I noticed and hope I can get some feedback from everyone:

Passenger Headlight works, but driver side does not and manual override does not help.

Car started to sputter after about 10 min of driving, only shifting into second and third

Car needs to be given good gas before letting off of the clutch, is this normal for these types of cars?

Cheers!
Anthony

Don't know if this helps but I have a 73 l48 4 speed also and if I don't let the car get warmed up completely before I go to drive I have the same exact problem it sputters out , once it's warm though, mines perfectly fine, btw mine takes about 20 minutes to warm up, if you think yours takes a little while
Old 07-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Sigh...

I've had mine for over 6 months now and all I've ever done with her is spend money.... and mo money...and mo money

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Newbie

Quick Reply: C3 Newbie