Sponsored by:

5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:56 PM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 5 speed

Hi I have a 79 Auto Corvette and am thinking about swapping the auto for a 5 speed manual .

Is Tremec the best option ? also can you please tell me where I can buy the complete conversion from

cheers
Old 07-10-2014, 11:36 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Tremec is a great choice, especially with the exact fit shift kit. Bought mine from Classic Chevy 6-7 years ago but I think they're gone now. Google it, you'll find a dealer.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I'd rather do a T56 if I did it all over again.

My TKO had the 2-3 problem. I sent it off to Liberty's Gears to get the shift upgrades. I may get a chance to drive it this weekend and see if it's improved at all, but I have t obreak it in first.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:59 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

American Powertrain.
You have to make some tunnel mods for a T-56

Carter
Old 07-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I'd rather do a T56 if I did it all over again.

My TKO had the 2-3 problem. I sent it off to Liberty's Gears to get the shift upgrades. I may get a chance to drive it this weekend and see if it's improved at all, but I have t obreak it in first.
A loit of people say the 2-3 shift on a Tremec is troublesome.

Kiesler used to make an SS700 trans which appeared to be an exceptional piece. They also made an RS400, RS500, and RS600 and those who got them spoke well of their ease of shifting. Silver Sport transmissions took over the Keisler operation after it went out of business I thought they were going to keep making the SS700 but I haven't seen them advertise it. Liberty Gear apparently bought the tooling etc. to make the RS series of transmissions. If I were you I'd contact both of them and see if you can get either the SS700 or one of the RS series. I've had an RS400 myself for 2 and 1/2 years now and have yet to get it installed.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Silver Sport sounds like a pretty good group. They hired a lot of the Kiesler people and they are shipping their perfect fit kits quickly from what I understand.

I was one of the lucky ones who didn't get shafted by Keisler when I purchased my Tremec. I do like the trans - no problems once I got it in.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Priya

Kiesler used to make an SS700 trans which appeared to be an exceptional piece. They also made an RS400, RS500, and RS600 and those who got them spoke well of their ease of shifting. Silver Sport transmissions took over the Keisler operation after it went out of business I thought they were going to keep making the SS700 but I haven't seen them advertise it. Liberty Gear apparently bought the tooling etc. to make the RS series of transmissions. If I were you I'd contact both of them and see if you can get either the SS700 or one of the RS series. I've had an RS400 myself for 2 and 1/2 years now and have yet to get it installed.
Yes, I haven't heard much about them but they seem a better choice (LGT700, SS700, RS, etc), assuming you can find one.

Another reason I like the T56 is that you get two usable overdrives, especially if you get the T56 with the lower ratios. With the TKOs, you choose between a freeway-only gear (.64) or a decent overdrive but not particularly tall gear(.82). The low gear T56 (at least the GTO one) gives you both choices (.84 5th, .57 6th).

Of course, compared to a 3-speed auto or 4-speed manual, the more the merrier!

It's unfortunate that I've owned a number of T56 cars and also have a 6-spd Cayman S as a daily driver, or I'd be totally content with the TKO (minus the 2-3 issue ).
Old 07-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Another reason I like the T56 is that you get two usable overdrives, especially if you get the T56 with the lower ratios. With the TKOs, you choose between a freeway-only gear (.64) or a decent overdrive but not particularly tall gear(.82). The low gear T56 (at least the GTO one) gives you both choices (.84 5th, .57 6th).
Yes, the gears in some of these 5 speeds aren't always the best. Mine has a 3.37 first and a .67 fifth. Combined with my 3.70 rear axle it makes for pretty high revs in 1st (6000 rpm at 39 mph) and perhaps a little too low of rpm in 5th at 60 mph (1900 rpm). In thinking about it something like a 3.00 first and a .75 fifth would be better. The RS600 had a 2.88 first (if I remember correctly) that might have worked pretty well but the guy at Keisler advised me that the 3.37 first wouldn't be a problem with my 3.70 rear gears so I got the RS400. I'm not sure I made the right choice, but guess I'll find out if I ever get it installed.

Last edited by Priya; 07-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:04 PM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

I have no problem with the 2-3 shift in my Tremec. If you let the shifter do the work, rather than trying to force it where you think the gear should be, the shift is no problem.

What I do have a problem with is the 6000rpm shift limit on the Tremec.

Carter
Old 07-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 71scgc
I have no problem with the 2-3 shift in my Tremec. If you let the shifter do the work, rather than trying to force it where you think the gear should be, the shift is no problem.
I've never tried a Tremec, but my guess is that whether or not you have trouble probably has a lot to do with who's driving it. I'm not a particularly coordinated person so I figured I should stay away from the Tremec and get the trans that's known for its ease of shifting.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Carter
I have driven a Muncie maybe once in my life and use Bondurant's shift techniques. I've never missed a 2-3 shift in anything except this car (forward palm).

I thought the same way you did prior to getting one, but lots of people have experienced this issue and unfortunately (for me) I'm one of them. There are plenty of people who have good luck with their TKOs - and plenty who don't.

Mine shifted fine 2-3 except under power. At that point it was like hitting a brick wall - even a very calm shift.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:36 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

if you have a 3.08 rear gear a Richmond 5 speed is perfect
Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM
SilverOverdrives
Supporting Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Carter
Agree on the shift technique.

We offer a performance upgrade for the TKO that includes:

• Carbon fiber lined synchronizer blocker rings for higher rpm shifts compared to stock
• Bronze shift fork pads that replace the factory components

As far as kits, please call and we'll be happy to cover the details. Shipping is free and kits typically ship same or next day with no deposit to order required.
2250 Stock Creek Blvd.
Rockford TN 37853
jeff.kauffman@shiftsst.com
Authorized TREMEC Elite Distributor
Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM
SilverOverdrives
Supporting Vendor

SST owns the RS line but it is not in our business plan. We still provide technical assistance and service to prior Keisler customers that own this product.

Regarding the SS700 or other future products, announcements will be made once production is under way and we have stock on the shelf. SST will not require deposits to order.

Last edited by SilverOverdrives; 07-14-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SilverOverdrives
Agree on the shift technique.
So when shifted under power 2-3, a TKO has to be shifted differently than a T56, TR6060, TR-3650 or T5? I've also had a lot of luck with the Getrag 466 I row around pretty much every day. Hell, I was able to make a 2-3 shift under power in a Borg Warner T19B (heavy duty pickup/4x4 4spd transmission) in my 83 F250 more often than I could with my TKO.

I'm specifically saying "shift under power" vs "power shift" because I don't do the latter.

The most interesting thing about my problem is that it shifted GREAT with anything up to about half throttle. As soon as you get into it and run much past 4500 RPM, shifting 2-3 felt like CAGS in a T56/TR6060.

For the record, I use an open palm technique, fingers up, palm facing the dash, and push forward 2-3 with a slight hesitation as it crosses the neutral gate.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying out mine, the service Liberty's did is similar to what you offer; I think they also polished some of the shift linkage, I'd have to look at the invoice. I'm not going to tout it one way or the other until I get a chance to try it, though.

Plenty of others have had this problem and worked it out via upgrades.

I'm just very incredulous that "shift technique" is the answer, unless your technique is "if you're in second gear, don't attempt to shift to third when the engine is over 5000 RPM". Why would you even offer an upgrade package if shift technique was the answer?

I also am willing to admit that I probably received a defective transmission. I do see enough success stories to believe that to be the case. But I also see enough not-so-successful stories, including my own, to believe that not every TKO out there is ready for primetime.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:02 PM
SilverOverdrives
Supporting Vendor

Why would you even offer an upgrade package if shift technique was the answer?
The upgrade package has nothing to do with the 2-3 upshift. It addresses the rpm ceiling only and the bronze pads are for durability compared to the plastic pads.

The open palm/push forward technique is a proven method for hitting 3rd gear.

Other issues could be causing shifting issues depending on the build and are often overlooked:

• Heavy clutch disc(s) that require more time to slow down
• Improper clutch adjustment/incomplete disengagement
• Excessive bellhousing runout/failure to follow proper installation procedures

Not all cars are the same. Not all installations are the same.

The Tremec TKO is a reliable box and shifts well.

Last edited by SilverOverdrives; 07-14-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 07-14-2014, 01:07 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a Auto to 4 speed conversion about 6 years ago, love having a manual but I plan to upgrade to a 5 speed soon and will most likely go with the TKO 600.

Get notified of new replies

To 5 speed

Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Jeff, thanks for commenting. I will visit your website frequently to obtain product updates and new launches. My next project is upgrading to a 5-speed OD to replace this Muncie.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

American Powertrain.
You have to make some tunnel mods for a T-56

Carter
Here's my tunnel mod to install a T56 from a '94 Trans Am.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Dang, when did Keisler go out of business?

Quick Reply: 5 speed