Sponsored by:

No Power! (the electrical kind)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No Power! (the electrical kind)

Here's how it started; last Sunday, put key in ignition, turned key to start, starter turned over a couple of times, sudden pop (not overly loud), and then everything went dead. Tried again, nothing. Tried just auxiliary, and they kind of turned on (radio and such), but then they died as well.

Here are the symptoms: without the key in, the car has enough power to run the clock. Just putting the key in sounds the buzzer as it should. Turning the key to any position, kills the buzzer and the clock. Turning the key to auxiliary does not turn on the radio or anything (cant turn down windows, etc.). Jiggling the key in the key lock randomly gives me the buzzer back, but no radio if it's in the auxiliary position.

I tried being an electrictian to trouble shoot, but I only got more confused. I checked for continuity between the starter main positive and ground... and there was continuity with the battery disconnected?!?! I tried jumping it and nothing.

Anyways, anyone have any ideas what it may be? My guess is lock cylinder, or further down the iginition switch. Starter is new, and even if the solenoid is bad, the rest should still get power... So before I tear into the steering wheel I was hoping you guys could share some wisdom.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Oh... durr, also it's an 81 automatic.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I would check the ground coming from the battery where it connects to the frame. Make sure where it connects to the frame its clean and tight.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Originally Posted by havesometo
I would check the ground coming from the battery where it connects to the frame. Make sure where it connects to the frame its clean and tight.
Checked, ground is solid. As are the fuses.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:51 PM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

This is not going to work real well, Turn the headlights on and see what they do when you turn the key. This is checking for power feed before the ignition switch. Do they dim, go out or do nothing?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Originally Posted by vbgod1
This is not going to work real well, Turn the headlights on and see what they do when you turn the key. This is checking for power feed before the ignition switch. Do they dim, go out or do nothing?
Do nothing.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

On the 81 there is a white molex connector behind the pass side valve covet on the frewall that connects the main engine bay harness to the starter. The contacts in there are famous for burning. Check there. Use a test light and look for power on the red wires and ground on the black. The Purple is Start from the ignition switch. The Lt blue is for the aux fan (I think)
Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It`s the grounds

especially the one under the car, from battery to frame
Old 07-19-2014, 12:36 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Assuming you're talking about the connector in the engine bay passenger side near the ac evaporator? Connected to the starter? Checked all connections and they're good.

Update: so cylinder lock was a waste of time, but on the bright side I now have a new cylinder lock On to the ignition switch unless someone else thinks otherwise. Anyone?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironcross
It`s the grounds

especially the one under the car, from battery to frame
Ground from battery to frame is good, ground from starter to frame is good. Although I'm dreading going after the ignition switch so I'm gonna go check again...
Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

I disconnected the battery both + and -, and the ground checks out. However, for whatever reason, the positive wire has continuity to ground as well...?? Is there a normally closed switch it's finding its way through or something? Anybody have a wiring diagram?

Edit: it was the solenoid, I disconnected the molex you were talking about sixfooter and positive was no longer connected to ground.

Last edited by KIKIRIKI; 07-19-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Then check your shift cable....these things {Vettes} will find ground wherever they can......White powder on it means the cable is acting as a ground....Similar substance that forms on the battery.....
Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

AWWW YEA! I don't mean to brag, but I am a corvette fixing god!!! Replaced the ignition switch and sure enough everything runs!! Now I'ma go put everything back together and I'll put together a little somethin to help anyone else who runs into this. It wasn't half as bad as I thought getting to that switch... reassembly may be a different matter. Can't wait to take he for a run
Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Also, thanks yall for the suggestions
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

there is another gnd. .... to Birdcage.
under the drivers feet, mine was about 1/4" braid (69)
bolted to frame, with a clip on grounding clip to the Birdcage.
you can always just add a quick test jumper, birdcage to frame Gnd.

Get notified of new replies

To No Power! (the electrical kind)

Quick Reply: No Power! (the electrical kind)