Sponsored by:

78 work with few tools & small budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Vette5X
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
A free safety trick is to slide a tire on the rim under each side if you are going to leave it up like that. That way if it falls it will rest on the tire/rim and not keep you from breathing while you call for help.

That makes me a little nervous to see it on those stands alone.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Tools are not a problem for me. Money is!
Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

When I'm under a vehicle on stands I always keep a floor jack under it also just in case the stands fail the floor jack will take the weight.

I'm hoping for a lift for Christmas, not sure if I'm going with a 2 or 4 pole lift.

Last edited by Tim 1973; 08-11-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

It's good that you decided to keep the car. But be careful...you've done a good job with the jackstands to remove the wheels----

BUT DO NOT GET UNDER THE CAR........

my friend was killed while working under a car on stands---he was pulling on a suspension part and the car fell on him!

Like the members said...."A sturdy floor jack should be used to support the end of the car that you are under".

Keep the pictures coming!

Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I put my car on jack stands and get under, but I also have wood stacks and a floor jack as safety measures that will keep the car from crushing me if it comes down.

I had a car fall off of jack stands once. Never again. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Most of us didn't start out with a garage full of tools. They are acquired over years. I was 40+ before I could afford a compressor and some air tools.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I think that after working on the suspension a short period of time, you will wish for an impact wrench. I tried the hand tool idea with my first car and gave up after about two hours. Couldn't even budge some rusted bolts. Many times it's nearly impossible to gain access and apply enough force to loosen many of the bolts. These cars are frustrating enough with proper tools. My advice would be to purchase a minimal set of air tools. The chinese place sells a nice steel floor jack that has a wide stance and a minimum lift height of less that 3", a surprisingly durable 1/2" impact wrench for about $80, and medium output compressors. For an investment of less that $500 you will be able to do things that are impossible using hand tools.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the few bits of wisdom my father passed down (from his farm upbringing) was to buy one new tool for each major project undertaken. Beg, borrow, steal, or, do without the rest. Eventually you will have a pretty good set of the key items and will not have noticed the cash outlay over time.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM
WillardMoose
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just too cheap for this project. It's a great car, but I just can't pry my wallet open. If anyone wants a nice project, it's on eBay. Starting bid $5,100 without reserve.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Come on dude! You haven't even started and your giving up.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i think he is serious.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 PM
WillardMoose
Advanced

I'm a CPA (cheapest person alive). My wife is telling me to just do it and I still can't pry open the wallet.

I really am a CPA and the numbers just don't add up for me. A thousand here and a thousand there, pretty soon your talking real money. I'd love to sand blast and paint the frame, get a 5 speed, and do mono leaves front and rear. That 7k right there before tax and shipping.

I just keep going in circles because then I think maybe just some tie rods, fresh tranny fluid, and track down a few gremlins in the wiring. $1k and I'd be good to go.

I just don't know where to start and I'm sure there's no end. The bean counter in me thinks I should take the loss now before sinking any more into it.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:39 PM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

From inspiration to liquidation in less than a month... Ouch!

Oh well, that's why I just consider it a hobby (a money-losing proposition by definition). I don't smoke, hunt/fish, golf, own a jet-ski/boat/motorcycle, attend professional sporting events, gamble much... Gotta spend my cash somehow!

Best of luck with your decision, whichever way you go. I was looking forward to the thread though.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SciVette
From inspiration to liquidation in less than a month... Ouch!

Oh well, that's why I just consider it a hobby (a money-losing proposition by definition). I don't smoke, hunt/fish, golf, own a jet-ski/boat/motorcycle, attend professional sporting events, gamble much... Gotta spend my cash somehow!

Best of luck with your decision, whichever way you go. I was looking forward to the thread though.
I'm with you Scivette, I play in my shop, go to car shows, attend vette club events and cruse in on Friday nights... And in Texas we try to stay cool... Un successfully most of the time..
Old 08-15-2014, 11:11 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
I'm with you Scivette, I play in my shop, go to car shows, attend vette club events and cruse in on Friday nights... And in Texas we try to stay cool... Un successfully most of the time..
August of '13 out of the clear blue came triple by-pass. Very lucky, did not have a heart attack and the big arteries in the side of the neck are flowing well. Came home, looked at my 70 big block 4-sp convertible and had a change in mind-set. I'm taking care of everything about the car that I've always wanted to do. I'll spend more than I ever imagined, but with my wife's support, I don't care. I'm not an "old" man but I have had plenty of birthdays and I want plenty more and I want to drive my car the way I want it do be. I don't go to tiddy bars, gamble, drink Glenfiddich, though I would love too, so I say...do what you want as soon as you can, wear a big smile and have fun. 106 degrees heat index today in my part of Texas, but it will be a nice evening to put the top down and hit the pavement.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by WillardMoose
I'm a CPA (cheapest person alive). My wife is telling me to just do it and I still can't pry open the wallet.

I really am a CPA and the numbers just don't add up for me. A thousand here and a thousand there, pretty soon your talking real money. I'd love to sand blast and paint the frame, get a 5 speed, and do mono leaves front and rear. That 7k right there before tax and shipping.

I just keep going in circles because then I think maybe just some tie rods, fresh tranny fluid, and track down a few gremlins in the wiring. $1k and I'd be good to go.

I just don't know where to start and I'm sure there's no end. The bean counter in me thinks I should take the loss now before sinking any more into it.
This is supposed to be a HOBBY. As such you can't cost it out like you would a business venture. Some people play golf, some go to high dollar concerts, some go to Burning Man yearly - the list of leisure pursuits that take a good deal of money is pretty much endless.

If you're beating yourself up over the cost of owning and maintaining your "vintage" Corvette, then probably it isn't for you. The way you're hot and cold tells me you haven't reconciled the issue. As long as the negatives keep poping up you'd probably be happier to ignore the Corvette. Either sell it, or if it won't move at the price you've put on it, park it, clean it, preserve it, cover it, and ignore it for a few years.

To use a well worn phrase, "Either sh-t or get off the pot."

Pete
Old 08-16-2014, 02:58 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

you have correctly assessed the realities of a collector car. if you go into it thinking you can recoup your investment in the future you would be foolish.
however you miss the value, there is value in having a hobby. it takes your mind off everyday pressures, and allows you to channel your leisure time into a very positive form. you get the satisfaction of seeing your hands create something that is uniquely your own , you can spend time close to your family and friends. you can work on it as time or desire allows. you can budget progress by available funds, and being frugal with purchases allowing you to cut your costs.
you can come up with excuses or take a decision. the last few years have been very taxing for many reasons, and on the days that aren't so good i go out to the garage look at my car and see how far we've come.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 work with few tools & small budget

Old 08-16-2014, 05:05 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

It's not for everyone......If it's not---"in your blood" ---Sell it!

But take lots of pics first......to show what a cool dude you were!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:28 PM
WillardMoose
Advanced

Thanks guys. I had a melt down but, feel much better now. Never thought of it as a hobby. Never had a hobby. Do a lot of bicycling but, that's not really a hobby. Good point about putting it aside for a while if needed. I didn't buy it thinking I could recoup my investment. However, I never thought it would be such a money pit.

When I bought it, I said it would be my last toy. When I posted it on eBay, I told my wife it was the last time I'd list it. Sad I could sell it for 1/2 what I have in it. Now I think I'll take that advice and buy a impact wrench for my one new tool for the project.

Thank guys
Old 09-07-2014, 10:03 PM
WillardMoose
Advanced

I'm at the point of trying to get the driver's side top control arm out. Bus and shims are out. The bolts won't come out. Any suggestions? No room to tap with hammer. I have 3/4 inch between rat bolt and power steering tank. The radiator shield is close to front bolt.

Quick Reply: 78 work with few tools & small budget