Sponsored by:

Body Lifting Straps

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:15 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Body Lifting Straps

Whoever makes these things should be fired!!! They are just the worst.

Has anyone successfully bent theirs so that they don't rub on the body?
I tried with my vice, tiny propane torch, and a socket and barely did anything.... was afraid the vice was going to break.

I've used them many times since I haven't cared about the paint/body but now that I'm close to painting I want them to work correctly so I don't screw things up when I go to put it back on.

Not to mention they're all about 2ft too long for those of us that are using engine hoists to lift. Tying knots help but when you have to tie 6 it starts looking like crap.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Whoever makes these things should be fired!!! They are just the worst.

Has anyone successfully bent theirs so that they don't rub on the body?
I tried with my vice, tiny propane torch, and a socket and barely did anything.... was afraid the vice was going to break.

I've used them many times since I haven't cared about the paint/body but now that I'm close to painting I want them to work correctly so I don't screw things up when I go to put it back on.

Not to mention they're all about 2ft too long for those of us that are using engine hoists to lift. Tying knots help but when you have to tie 6 it starts looking like crap.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by vstol
I guess the C3 sections a bit slow these days

Or they were all having one hell of a weekend
Old 07-21-2014, 01:21 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Punisher,

Aren't you going to put the body back on the frame before you paint?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:43 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Punisher,

Aren't you going to put the body back on the frame before you paint?
I guess I just assumed most would paint it off the frame if they had the choice. I'm not sure what is actually the right way. It would definitely be easier and safer on the frame that's for sure.

I know i'll need to take the doors off go get into that area. I also thought painting with the headlights in place would also be easier but not sure how people do that either.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 07-21-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I just assumed most would paint it off the frame if they had the choice. I'm not sure what is actually the right way. It would definitely be easier and safer on the frame that's for sure.

I know i'll need to take the doors off go get into that area. I also thought painting with the headlights in place would also be easier but not sure how people do that either.
Yeah... I'd like to know that too. After I lifted the body, I dissembled the clips from the Bird Cage because the Cage needed work. This fall I'll start reattaching the fiberglass to the Bird Cage as the Cage sits on the chassis. I'll install the doors and and hood so I can shim them properly, but pull them off before painting - bagging the shim packs for later use. I'm guessing that the headlights will be left off and painted separately along with the bumper covers, sport mirrors, side marker bezels and gas cap lid. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but it would nice to hear from ours who have taken their cars apart and had them repainted.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Only more questions lol.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I had the same issue with the straps. so I tried a different approach. I used ratchets on each end and used the Runners in my garage ceiling to lift with a chain hoist. I'm painting the body off and will be able to place it back on with the doors slightly open and the windshield out and not put pressure on the side windshield pillars. Thats about the only way I came up with . i guess the only other way will be to pull the doors off!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

yeah. Maybe the trick is no doors... that would help with my engine hoist clearance. I'll have to try it I guess before I paint without the doors.

Only other thing I was thinking was drill 2 holes in each hook and make some sort of adapter that fit much easier. but that would involve a lot of work and some fabrication...which I can't really do.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Whoever makes these things should be fired!!!

As far as the length I put ratchets on mine... I purchased ratchets with a small lead with hook, cut the straps off at the dring and use it to connect the hocks to.

Last edited by Tim 1973; 07-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 AM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ft-straps.html

Here's another thread that I posted on. Took a torch to heat up the bracket and laid an impact socket sideways and then used my press to press down on the socket and expand the bracket. Worked out pretty well and was able to lift the body without the brackets hitting the doors. Only downfall was that I did get a bit carried away with heating up the bracket and slightly melted the strap. Luckily I caught it in time before the straps became unusable...
Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by spdrcr29
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ft-straps.html

Here's another thread that I posted on. Took a torch to heat up the bracket and laid an impact socket sideways and then used my press to press down on the socket and expand the bracket. Worked out pretty well and was able to lift the body without the brackets hitting the doors. Only downfall was that I did get a bit carried away with heating up the bracket and slightly melted the strap. Luckily I caught it in time before the straps became unusable...
Thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to do with my vice... I was just scared of breaking the vice with too much force.

I read in the paint section that DUB(the go to guy there) likes to paint with the body on the frame so that all the gaps and shims are in order and you know are correct... which makes a lot of sense. It just means more time prepping and taping off stuff you don't want painted.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Lifting Straps

Quick Reply: Body Lifting Straps