1968 Speedometer Cable Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 05:53 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 1968 Speedometer Cable Question

We spent some time today looking for the thru hole for the speedometer cable with no luck. Looking in the AIM it should go through the firewall at about the same elevation as the 4 hole grommet that the tach cable goes thru but close to the left corner, however, we could find nothing. We looked from inside the car, outside the car, even under the car and just cant find where that cable is supposed to feed thru. Is there a chance the AIM is wrong or there was a design change and maybe the speedo cable goes thru the same grommet that the tach goes thru? Getting close to being able to install the large instrument dash section and this has stumped us.

Last edited by 68/BB; 08-02-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

William, I just checked my 68 SB coupe and there is a dedicated raised square area, with a hole in it for the speedometer cable and it's grommet, just below where the three small vacuum hoses enter the interior, through their grommet. There is also a "U" shaped hanger to hold the speedometer cable just to the left of it. This hanger is just above the trans tunnel. I hope that this helps you. It should show this in the 68 AIM. Lou.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:40 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by loup68
William, I just checked my 68 SB coupe and there is a dedicated raised square area, with a hole in it for the speedometer cable and it's grommet, just below where the three small vacuum hoses enter the interior, through their grommet. There is also a "U" shaped hanger to hold the speedometer cable just to the left of it. This hanger is just above the trans tunnel. I hope that this helps you. It should show this in the 68 AIM. Lou.
Ok, I see that spot you are talking about and my original grommet looks to still be in there. It is 90 degrees to the firewall, however, and I ASSUMED it would be parrallel to the the firewall or straight thru it like those vacuum lines are. So the cable comes away from the speedo connection and makes a right angle turn thru the wall. I didn't expect to see that at all. Thanks a ton!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The location of the hole in the firewall facilitates routing the cable to the tranny.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The location of the hole in the firewall facilitates routing the cable to the tranny.
Good point Mike. When you think it about that cable has to do a 180 from it's exit point in the speedo to it's entry point in the tranny. Which accounts for the "magic bullet" type jogs it must take.

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 Speedometer Cable Question

Quick Reply: 1968 Speedometer Cable Question