Sponsored by:

California Stingrays ride into Wrightwood, 9-20-2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Tod M Elliott
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJlr
Thank you.....a VERY good friend's wife passed in her sleep.....

Dang....that makes 2 cruises I will have missed.....

I guess when it's your time that's the way to go, either the case it is still devastating for the surrounding loved ones. God's speed to her and her family.

There will always be other cruises.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm out guys.....sadly, I have a funeral to attend...
Sorry about that Jeff, would've enjoyed your company again, but we understand. We'll see you on the next one (or better yet, Fontana, next month).
Old 09-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Doug's 77
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you.....a VERY good friend's wife passed in her sleep.....

Dang....that makes 2 cruises I will have missed.....
Sory for your loss Jeff thats much bigger than a cruise to wrightwood. I'm up for another next month.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Doug's 77
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone from the I.E. wants to meet up.
Douglas Mariani...........Douglas
&
Myself
will be meeting @ Starbucks 91frywy & Green River in Corona @ 7am

Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Flogging on it last night! We're getting there...

Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Tod M Elliott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F22
Flogging on it last night! We're getting there...

All that and not one beer can in the background.......hummm, looks rather suspicious to me

Nice shop, 69 El Co in the front?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tod M Elliott
All that and not one beer can in the background.......hummm, looks rather suspicious to me

Nice shop, 69 El Co in the front?
The 'refreshments' are on another work bench! The Elky is a '72, that the guy with the quicksilver shirt owns. Ted's great people and has been hanging around the shop as late. He must not be married, because he's been there, every night (or he's got a very, very understanding wife/GF/SO...) and the pic was taken at 9 PM last night!

Regarding the Shop actually started out, over two years ago, as a place to store our stuff (two Corvettes and two boats). Then it turned into a man-cave and now it's transformed again and we're working on a continuous line of vintage muscle and other unique cars.

After the man-cave era, where we had the whole back of the industrial center to ourselves (man, was that a blast!), while working on our stuff, we started taking in rescue projects and our mission became, resuscitating long-forgotten project cars from the dead. Some of them, had sat for over 20 years! We've worked on a wide range of cars and trucks, from '52 Studebaker Pickups to '64 Corvette Stingrays and they all roll out happy and cleaned up. Not so much a 'restoration' as make the car 'happy' wherever it needs it.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Ya know, I was just thinking. This is a total repeat of the last Corvette run we went on to Solvang!!! I finished putting in the entire dash harness, the night before the run, ended up troubleshooting it, that very Saturday morning and then drove it 80 miles to Santa Monica.

I must be nuts...

Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Tod M Elliott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F22
Ya know, I was just thinking. This is a total repeat of the last Corvette run we went on to Solvang!!! I finished putting in the entire dash harness, the night before the run, ended up troubleshooting it, that very Saturday morning and then drove it 80 miles to Santa Monica.

I must be nuts...

Agreed........ but
Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

The engine is IN!!!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Tod M Elliott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F22
The engine is IN!!!

WELL DONE!!! T minus forty one hours and counting....not that I'm counting.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

WELL DONE!!! T minus forty one hours and counting....not that I'm counting.

The crew is here. Four of Gearheads here and it is flying, and I'm not lying! Sassy, as usual was a compliant little thang and the engine went in like butter!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

John and I stayed till 8:30, then gratefully sat down to dinner at 9 pm. He looked as beat as was, but we were yukking it up, because we were on a roll last night, we were kicking ***!.

This morning, finish the electric fan and relay wiring. Everything is getting soldered and I'm almost there. Then mount the electric fan to the radiator, and install that in the 'Vette, hoses, sensor, distilled water, Dexcool and we're good to go.

Next, wire up the Air Fuel Ratio gauge (already mounted), plumb the power steering line, fill that. Get the new throttle cable going, solder up the alternator connector, hook that up, oil pressure tube, temp sensor in side of block, check Speedo cable and then get it to the muffler shop, so that we can break in the cam, then the rings, dump the break in oil (Brad Penn), put Valvoline in it, wash it, air the tires and we'll be good to go.

It is going to be a busy day...
Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Tod M Elliott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F22
John and I stayed till 8:30, then gratefully sat down to dinner at 9 pm. He looked as beat as was, but we were yukking it up, because we were on a roll last night, we were kicking ***!.

This morning, finish the electric fan and relay wiring. Everything is getting soldered and I'm almost there. Then mount the electric fan to the radiator, and install that in the 'Vette, hoses, sensor, distilled water, Dexcool and we're good to go.

Next, wire up the Air Fuel Ratio gauge (already mounted), plumb the power steering line, fill that. Get the new throttle cable going, solder up the alternator connector, hook that up, oil pressure tube, temp sensor in side of block, check Speedo cable and then get it to the muffler shop, so that we can break in the cam, then the rings, dump the break in oil (Brad Penn), put Valvoline in it, wash it, air the tires and we'll be good to go.

It is going to be a busy day...
Soooo.....you're saying just another 20, maybe 30 minutes of work left?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Meet @ Savi Ranch McDonald's has been CANCELED

Meet up is Hot Off the Grill at 7am @12800 Seal Beach Blvd Seal Beach, CA 90740. where we will be picking up another 4+ Corvettes (we will have about 45min. to eat ).

We will be leaving Hot Off the Grill by eight o'clock to meet everyone else at the staging area at 9am @ 900 Town Center Dr. La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011

If anyone has any questions PM me

Map of route
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1280...2146!3e0?hl=en

Last edited by Douglas Mariani; 09-20-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Tod M Elliott
Burning Brakes

We were worried about the heat in Wrightwood, huh, may wanna pack a jacket!

Sat
Sep 20

Sunny
77°

54°

Sunny

Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 9 mph

Wooooo hoooooo!!!!!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Soooo.....you're saying just another 20, maybe 30 minutes of work left?
I'm not going to exaggerate, we can do all of that in an hour!

Get notified of new replies

To California Stingrays ride into Wrightwood, 9-20-2014

Old 09-19-2014, 03:29 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani
Doug77 & I put together a meeting point for IE cruisers. It will be at the Savi Ranch McDonald's off the 91 at the Weir Canyon exit. Savi Ranch McDonald's address: 22322 Old Canal Rd, Yorba Linda, CA 92887

Meeting time will be between 6 and 6:25 AM. We will be leaving the Savi Ranch McDonald's at 6:25 AM to pick up 4 more Corvettes on the way to breakfast at Hot Off the Grill @12800 Seal Beach Blvd Seal Beach, CA 90740.(Hot Off the Grill is a 30 min. drive from the Savi Ranch McDonald's) where we will be picking up another 4+ Corvettes (we will have about 45min. to eat ).

We will be leaving Hot Off the Grill by eight o'clock to meet everyone else at the staging area at 9am @ 900 Town Center Dr. La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011

If anyone has any questions PM me

Map of route
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/2232...2146!3e0?hl=en
I'll see you guys at about 07:00 at "Hot Off the Grill"
I live right in that area
Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

The Bad News and the Good News

8 PM and still at the Shop. Bad news, not going to make it. The trailer we were supposed to borrow, from the painter next door didn't happen, because he went to Vegas, but we didn't know of his plans. Tried all day to find somebody with a trailer, but at 3 PM, one of our clients, came in and said, we could borrow his.

Bad news, the muffler shop told us, too late, no can do. So we sent our go-fer, to go get the trailer from our client, who also said he's interested in selling it, because he wants a bigger one.

Good News, he wants $1,500 for it and he owes us for a lot of work done, (good guy, lots of patience with bad circumstances with his vehicle and we're helping out). So they pull up with this: A heavy duty Carson with diamond plate decking, six hold downs, four brand new truck tires on it, and a built in ramp on the back. It just has surface rust and is rated for at least 10,000 pounds. It's worth, twice, what he's asking for it. We've been looking, believe me.

What we couldn't borrow: Note tire size and construction... Car tires and wood deck, lightweight build. It's really narrow too.

What we're buying!

Note lowered back half ramp, to get it closer to the ground and make loading easier.

Regarding Sassy. Also, the old radiator hoses don't fit and we're going to have to find a set that works (hate the look of flexible hoses!) and possibly go braided or custom line. We were so close!

Need; Radiator Hoses, wire fans (four wires), wire AEM air/fuel gauge and Fan relay to the fuse box, under the dash and put coolant and power steering in it. That's it. It was almost ready to start tonight and we will be starting it tomorrow!

Enjoy the run in the Fall mountain sun!

PS: A few pics from today...

All wired up and ready to go!

So close!

Sore, beat and happy. Time to go home!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 PM
79CalShark
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow at 9:00 AM at La Canada

Quick Reply: California Stingrays ride into Wrightwood, 9-20-2014