C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you convert a standard door panel into a deluxe one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you convert a standard door panel into a deluxe one?

I have standard door panels now and I would like to upgrade to the deluxe ones that have the woodgrain and carpet on them. Buying new ones would be VERY expensive, so I was wondering if anyone has ever just converted their standard ones into the deluxe ones and if so, was it difficult? Any advice?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I already had deluxe, but needed to replace. I bought very nice standard panels from Willcox and transferred the deluxe parts. I know the deluxe parts are available, but may be cheaper to buy complete deluxe panal. you'll just have to price out. Installing parts is easy, just drill holes and mount to panel.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Thanks for the info! It's good to talk to someone who has already done it! I was hoping there was not a difference in the molding part of the panel and it was just a simple "put this extra stuff on" difference. So, correct me if i'm wrong, but the only difference I see is that the deluxe has the wood grain overlay on the one area that you just have to stick over the existing black part. And there is a chrome trim piece on the bottom that trims out the carpet. I guess you just have to glue the carpet onto the panel and then screw the chrome strip over the carpet edge?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:20 PM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct about the carpet. It is glued to the panel, then holes drilled for the chrome trim.

I have that trim somewhere (have moved a couple of times since removing them), and i'll see if I can find them if you're interested.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by TurboStitchCW
You are correct about the carpet. It is glued to the panel, then holes drilled for the chrome trim.

I have that trim somewhere (have moved a couple of times since removing them), and i'll see if I can find them if you're interested.
Oh, that would be awesome! I have been looking at my door panels closer and I have to get the whole metal piece and trim piece for the part with the wood grain insert too. My door panels are just plain with no fancy stuff at all on them. but I re-did the shifter bezel this week and put a wood grain insert on it and now I just HAVE to do the door panels to match it...LOL
THANKS!!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:38 AM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's going to be a couple of months (if you can wait that long) before I can REALLY look for them. The wife is separating from the military very soon and we are moving again before the end of september.

If you wouldn't mind waiting, I can send them for the cost of shipping (once I find them of course).
Old 08-08-2014, 06:59 AM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by TurboStitchCW
It's going to be a couple of months (if you can wait that long) before I can REALLY look for them. The wife is separating from the military very soon and we are moving again before the end of september.

If you wouldn't mind waiting, I can send them for the cost of shipping (once I find them of course).
Thanks! I am in no hurry to finish this project, so please just let me know when you find them and I will be happy to pay the cost of shipping!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

mine were pitted and worn out panel carpet, I bought the kit an did it myself.. so yes the kits are available.. don't know if the kit will fit a non-deluxe interior panel. wasn't real easy but weekend project. gives you a chance for doing some cleaning and adjusting and oiling the window and door latch mechanism while it is apart too.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default my experience

My experience,

I upgraded the std door panels on my 76 to deluxe. A little tricky to get the holes in the right place, but doable. I bought most of the chrome trim off ebay used. Plus a buddy gave me a pair of the horseshoe trim. The carpet piece and wood grain insert, I bought from a Corvette vendor. Turns out the wood grain insert was a piece of formica, LOL's! I probably could have bought the formica cheaper at a hardware store.

This was a nice upgrade and hope this might help.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you convert a standard door panel into a deluxe one?

Quick Reply: Can you convert a standard door panel into a deluxe one?