Sponsored by:

Engine/trans cockeyed

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Sklaris
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine/trans cockeyed

My 80 is coming together, so I thought. The long tube headers are not fitting on the driver side. They are touching the fender and not parallel to frame so I was thinking the headers might need some mods. I'm then looking at the engine and trans and noticing that they are not level with the underside of the car, i.e., the engine/trans is tilted to the right (driver side higher) looking from the rear. I decided to replace the motor mounts in hopes that this would level it out but it didn't.

I've read that the engine and trans on C3s sit off towards the passenger side but is the level issue also unique to C3s? If not, what do you suggest?
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would inspect the frame carefully for any signs of damage or repair. You are correct in that the engine is offset but it sounds like there is some damage somewhere.

Rick B.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Sklaris
Intermediate

Rick,
Thanks for the quick response. Frame is straight but need to look closer. I'm hoping it's nothing serious.
Steve
Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM
hail to R3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the stance

Last edited by hail to R3; 08-13-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I like the color.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Sklaris
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I do need to still lower the rear but waiting till I get the 18" foose wheels on it. After I figure out how to level the engine.

The color just came out last November. It's made by ppg. It's called obsession red. Kind of a candy apple layered process with the base being a fuchsia glass flake with layers of the reddish mid coat. Looks fabulous in person.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

all 63-82 frames have the engine off to the passenger side for reason such as more driver leg room and weight distribution
Old 08-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Sklaris
Intermediate

Yea NM I've heard that the engine is offset but my issue is that the engine and trans are tilted a few degrees and I'm not sure if I need to be overly concerned about this. The problem I'm having with this tilt is that the long tube headers coming out of the driver side are touching the bottom of the fender. Do I mess with the motor mount or the headers to make things fit?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I'd check your frame
Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 PM
RDCRIS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sklaris
My 80 is coming together, so I thought. The long tube headers are not fitting on the driver side. They are touching the fender and not parallel to frame so I was thinking the headers might need some mods. I'm then looking at the engine and trans and noticing that they are not level with the underside of the car, i.e., the engine/trans is tilted to the right (driver side higher) looking from the rear. I decided to replace the motor mounts in hopes that this would level it out but it didn't.

I've read that the engine and trans on C3s sit off towards the passenger side but is the level issue also unique to C3s? If not, what do you suggest?

Check your body mounts, engine and trans mounts. No two cars are alike it seems. From the picture it looks about what mine did to.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Sklaris
Intermediate

RDCRIS, great thought. I definitely need to check that. Thanks, Steve
Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you post some pics of the engine bay and frame extensions for the motor mounts? Like they say, a pic is worth 1,000 words.

Rick B.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Sklaris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
Could you post some pics of the engine bay and frame extensions for the motor mounts? Like they say, a pic is worth 1,000 words.

Rick B.
Okay. Hope this shows the problem.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Sklaris
Intermediate

Any suggestions? Do I need to be concerned?
I'm actually getting it checked on the frame machine to see if the frame is within spec so will find out soon if I need adjustments. Hopefully that's the problem so I could get that issue out of the way.
The hits just keep coming!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 PM
RU7376vettes
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the frame to ground dimensions to see if the frame is level, then check engine mount to ground. Maybe the body to frame is off rather than the engine. If it is the body, look at the mounts to see if one side dropped due to body mount rust.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Sklaris
Intermediate

Thanks RU for these suggestions but if the car in the picture is sitting level and solid on a lift could the frame to ground be an issue? I do need to check the body to frame mounts. I have noticed that I have more space on one side than the other. The previous owner had the body off so it may be a spacing problem. I would hope that if there was a rusted mount that he would have fixed it but based on other things I've found, anything's possible.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe it's just my monitor, but is one side of your motor and trans sitting lower than the other?

Zorro

Get notified of new replies

To Engine/trans cockeyed

Old 08-26-2014, 05:49 AM
Sklaris
Intermediate

Zorro, yes that is the issue I'm looking for help with. It could be that the one side is sitting lower or the one side is sitting higher. I'm assuming there is a bend in the frame or mount but until I know where it's bent, I don't know where to fix it. It's going on a frame machine so they will be able to check the frame against specs. Then we could move or straighten what is out of alignment. The hope is that this will fix the problem.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sklaris
Zorro, yes that is the issue I'm looking for help with. It could be that the one side is sitting lower or the one side is sitting higher. I'm assuming there is a bend in the frame or mount but until I know where it's bent, I don't know where to fix it. It's going on a frame machine so they will be able to check the frame against specs. Then we could move or straighten what is out of alignment. The hope is that this will fix the problem.

I know this sounds kinda dumb, But on one of the several times I dropped the motor in mine, One mount did not drop into place. It looked like it had and the bolt was just as hard to put in, but in this case it was because it was rubbing on the frame instead of going through it. This was with one of the new heavier mounts, they will not deform to fit a frame that has been distorted by the cheep mounts, that bend when you tighten the bolt. My motor looked just like yours does. This was the fix Just something to check.

Zorro
Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

check those motor mounts, that motor is definetly not sitting staight,
from the angle of the Tranny pan. there are several versions of motor mounts, that kinda fit.
Don't just accept the mount the guy behind the counter hands you.
hope its not your frame.... good luck

Quick Reply: Engine/trans cockeyed