C3 Audio, speaker boxes and radios

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C3 Audio, speaker boxes and radios

Hi All,

I know this topic has been beaten to death but most searches don't pull up all of the answers I'm looking for.

1. Corvette Central carries a rear speaker box that holds two 6x9's. The box doesn't seem to go all the way to the floor. Has anyone ever installed one of these and what are the dimensions? I just got an astro top for my 80' and space is very limited in the back.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z50000050~~~

2. I've seen people go back and force and replica/repo radios. What ones are good and which ones are bad? Some say these radios die in 6 months, but which ones? Is there a good one out there? What would be better, buying new or modifying an original to handle an iPod?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 08-18-2014, 12:07 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Ive got an original radio converted to new guts and set up for ipod. I use the plug in to my phone almost exclusively when driving. I have not seen a replacement radio yet that does not look cheesy.

However, I have not been able to solve the speaker problem. Ive added speakers to the kick panels as members have suggested and they sound awful. I have boxes in the back that look awful and sound mediocre to bad. At least they have quick-remove plugs so I can take them out if Im concerned about the car looking well on a certain day. I have yet to get close to solving my terrible speaker problem.

You are in a better place as at least you have speakers in the dash of your '80.

I would like to hear input on that rear bar that sits in the back. Looks like it wouldnt sound all that great either but havent heard any strong thumbs up on them.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM
samdjr74
Racer

I did get some great sounding speakers for the rear and decent sounding ones for the dash. I dropped in the dash ones the other day, I went with a set of Pioneers that just fit. For the rear 6x9's however that's a different story. I got a set of Rockfords that sound incredible but the large magnate doesn't allow them to fit into the stock locations. No big deal as a speaker box will correct that. However dropping a normal size speaker box into the rear takes up a good portion of the storage area. And now that I'm running an astro top instead of T-tops I need that space for the roof storage.

As far as your original radio, who did the conversion?

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Ive got an original radio converted to new guts and set up for ipod. I use the plug in to my phone almost exclusively when driving. I have not seen a replacement radio yet that does not look cheesy.

However, I have not been able to solve the speaker problem. Ive added speakers to the kick panels as members have suggested and they sound awful. I have boxes in the back that look awful and sound mediocre to bad. At least they have quick-remove plugs so I can take them out if Im concerned about the car looking well on a certain day. I have yet to get close to solving my terrible speaker problem.

You are in a better place as at least you have speakers in the dash of your '80.

I would like to hear input on that rear bar that sits in the back. Looks like it wouldnt sound all that great either but havent heard any strong thumbs up on them.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Anyone else have input on this?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Instead of the one box in the back that takes up space and not movable consider two individual 6X9 boxes that could be moved some depending on your cargo. They sit low and your top could fit all the way back.

Also there are other vendors that sell that box in the back that does go all the way to the floor. Some have room for a sub in the center too.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 AM
samdjr74
Racer

I'm actually looking for one that does not go all the way to the floor.

Originally Posted by minitech
Also there are other vendors that sell that box in the back that does go all the way to the floor. Some have room for a sub in the center too.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:25 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I'm not so sure that box floats or "does not go all the way to the floor" as you said.

I have a brightstaraudio box in the back of my 71 and the bottom dimensions look very similar to the one you are referencing. Mine consumes the entire back wall and is 5" deep. I am just barely able to awkwardly stack my t-tops behind the seat (in bags) but it is far from ideal.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I wouldnt even bother with rear speakers. Every stereo system I build I use a set of components in the front and that's it. (although I'm using rear only in my Corvette with the brightside audio box until I have money to do a proper set up)

here's the same box for almost half the price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-CHEVY-CORVETTE-C3-1968-1982-DUAL-6X9-BLACK-SPEAKER-ENCLOSURE-/281068181550?pt=US_Speaker_Sub_Enclosures&hash=item4170f8182e&vxp=mtr
Old 08-19-2014, 11:11 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by samdjr74
As far as your original radio, who did the conversion?
Vintage Auto Radio in Wisconsin (not a SV, so no link)

Originally Posted by qwank
I wouldnt even bother with rear speakers. Every stereo system I build I use a set of components in the front and that's it.
In a '69 there are no dash speakers and the space in the kickpanel is impossible to use anything that doesnt sound awful. Oueside of some rear speaker configuration, is there another answer?

Im very concerned about stock appearance. If like something self contained in the back that can be removed easily at a show.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
samdjr74
Racer

I actually have the optional rear's from the factory and once I upgraded them they sound great. The problem is they don't fit and with my astro top I can't use a rear box that goes all the way down.

Originally Posted by qwank
I wouldnt even bother with rear speakers. Every stereo system I build I use a set of components in the front and that's it. (although I'm using rear only in my Corvette with the brightside audio box until I have money to do a proper set up)

here's the same box for almost half the price

Chevrolet Chevy Corvette C3 1968 1982 Dual 6x9" Black Speaker Enclosure | eBay
Old 08-19-2014, 12:02 PM
FourG
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am doing a similar search to replace the old rear Pioneers in our '76 and came across these enclosures on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-1982-Corvette-Rear-Speaker-Kit-NEW-PRODUCT-/201150468473?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2ed5809179
They seem to fit your criteria of freeing up floor space in the back. No idea how good they sound or if the depth is enough for all speakers... If anyone's got some experience with these, I'd be interested to hear what they think.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I also have an astro top and it barely fit without the box. I just bring my fiberglass tops with me if I go to a show and it looks like there's a chance of rain. Otherwise, I've been getting used to only driving when there's 0% chance of rain.

I'm going to eventually put speakers in my kick panels. Like Vettebuyer said, there isn't much room in there though. BUT people have done it before. I was test fitting a set of Alpine SPR-60C the other day, which have very small neodymium magnets, and those are going to be tight. I think an MDF spacer ring between the metal panel and trim panel is going to be needed.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM
samdjr74
Racer

So here's a real dumb idea (maybe). I know the fuel tank is behind the bulkhead and under the rear deck but how far away is it?

I was thinking, what about mounting them to either the rear deck or right into the bulkhead?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Flivver61
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I built my own box to fit 2 6x9s and a 10" sub and still allow me to use window tray. I always leave the t-tops in the garage so I didn't plan space for them.
I also customized the lighting and added LED's.

Speaker box in 72
The following users liked this post:
rmrtrex (05-07-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Audio, speaker boxes and radios

Quick Reply: C3 Audio, speaker boxes and radios