Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior color matching issues

Old 08-19-2014, 03:31 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior color matching issues

I am a slight perfectionist and when you work on a car like a 72 Corvette, you want it to be perfect, right?? Well, I have been working on this 72 for about three weeks now and have gotten to the point where we are picking out the colors for the interior. We did not know what any of the actual colors were, but knew we wanted to go with a light color. We decided to order a new shifter console because our old one is broken. And we decided on the 1974-1975 color Neutral. This came from Corvette America. We received it and LOVED the color of it and we picked out our new carpet based on this color and ordered it and we went ahead and bought 5 cans of the Interior Dye from Corvette America in the same color as our beautiful shifter console so we could paint all of our existing interior parts to match the console because they say that their colors are accurate. We received the Interior Dye and I decided to go ahead and paint the parking brake console with this color. This is what it looked like next to the shifter console on our new carpet.....

Neutral painted emergency brake console next to Neutral new shifter console from factory. (Corvette America)

So....to me these two colors are NOT even close to being the same color. I was very upset. I contacted Corvette America and they claim that these two are the same color and they could not tell a big difference in the two and that there will be a slight difference because of the material being different. Has anyone else had this issue with trying to match up interior colors???? I am very frustrated. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get an accurate color to dye all my interior to match the new shifter console that was bought? Am I being to picky and unrealistic in wanting it all to match perfectly?
Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Not too picky at all, try to find a SEM dealer locally that you can take your console into to be colour matched.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by briankeery
Not too picky at all, try to find a SEM dealer locally that you can take your console into to be colour matched.
What is an SEM Dealer? I live in Georgia. Do you or anyone know of anyone here?
Old 08-19-2014, 03:49 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://www.semproducts.com/automotive-trim-paints/
Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by briankeery
Thanks!!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:59 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by shell2172
What is an SEM Dealer? I live in Georgia. Do you or anyone know of anyone here?
What part of Georgia do you live in?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:31 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Most pro auto body paint supply stores sell liquid interior dye. Many of them sell the SEM brand. If you purchase a liquid interior dye and follow the directions of the manufacturer, the results should be good.

I have always used SEM dye...either mixed to match the GM interior color code of the car or mixed to match another interior part. It always provides good results and a 'factory new' look. I can't speak to the other brands.

Spray cans of interior "dye" may not be dye at all. Many of those cans have stuff as thick as paint in them, so I would call them paint. SEM dyes are very thin but have very dense pigment in them. They cover very well, dry fast, and do not leave runs after they fully dry. They are very forgiving of poor workmanship. If you don't have spray equipment, a $10 Pre-Val bottle sprayer (purchased at the same store) will do a great job with SEM dye.

I would search for some pro auto paint suppliers in your area and call them to see what brands they sell. Go with your best available option.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 AM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by havesometo
What part of Georgia do you live in?
I am in Griffin, GA. It is about an hour south of Atlanta. We were able to locate a local paint supplier that says they can match the color of the console. We are going to take the console to them today and see what they can do. Crossing my fingers!!! Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I purchased many new interior parts from CA (door panels, seat covers, carpet, etc) in '73 Dark Saddle' and every part was a slightly different shade! Once installed it all seems to blend in and no one has ever noticed.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ontario73
If it makes you feel any better, I purchased many new interior parts from CA (door panels, seat covers, carpet, etc) in '73 Dark Saddle' and every part was a slightly different shade! Once installed it all seems to blend in and no one has ever noticed.
Thanks for that information. It does not make me feel any better about ordering interior parts from CA. I think I am just too picky about matching and too picky about wanting this car to be perfect. I am going to buy a piece of the vinyl CA used to cover the shifter console so I can just cover the parking brake console with it so those two will match perfectly. (I am really picky about matching those two pieces)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:39 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

If you are able to find SEM or another brand of good quality interior dye, I would suggest that you just recolor ALL of your pieces with it....even the new ones. That way the color of the interior parts will all be the same.

Be certain to use detergent and water to remove ALL residue from the surface of the interior parts. NEW PARTS WILL HAVE AN OILY FILM ON THEM TOO! Then flush well with water to get all detergent off of them. Let dry completely, then shoot SEM dye. If you have another brand of dye, follow their instructions for application; they may require a primer to be put on them first. (I have never needed a primer with SEM dye, but all parts I have recolored were the original factory surfaces. A part that was previously 'painted' would need to be primed.)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by shell2172
...I contacted Corvette America and they claim that these two are the same color and they could not tell a big difference in the two and that there will be a slight difference because of the material being different...
Send your picture to Corvette America. If we can see the difference, they can see the difference.

And yes, there is a difference and it is not materials.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you are able to find SEM or another brand of good quality interior dye, I would suggest that you just recolor ALL of your pieces with it....even the new ones. That way the color of the interior parts will all be the same.

Be certain to use detergent and water to remove ALL residue from the surface of the interior parts. NEW PARTS WILL HAVE AN OILY FILM ON THEM TOO! Then flush well with water to get all detergent off of them. Let dry completely, then shoot SEM dye. If you have another brand of dye, follow their instructions for application; they may require a primer to be put on them first. (I have never needed a primer with SEM dye, but all parts I have recolored were the original factory surfaces. A part that was previously 'painted' would need to be primed.)
Thanks for the great advice!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Send your picture to Corvette America. If we can see the difference, they can see the difference.

And yes, there is a difference and it is not materials.
I emailed the exact same photos i posted here to Corvette America and this is what their exact response was (copied and pasted from my email):
"Are the colors in the first photo not matching? The only difference I is the grain pattern is slightly different because one piece is made of ABS material and the other is leather-like vinyl. The only photo I think looks different is the last one where the brake console is by itself with the paint can but that one appears as if the paint has not dried yet. We can get the cans back and refund you for them but unless I'm misunderstanding and the first two photo's are before you painted they don't appear to be different at all."

I think this guy was blinder than Stevie Wonder was!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

I had this same problem with Corvette America dye also. Was for a 68 interior, dark blue. The problem was the dark blue dye didn't even come close to matching their new dark blue top dash that I purchased from them.

After going back and fourth with them and mailing in painted swatches they finally reimbursed me. I then went with Dupont vinyl dye instead, purchased from a local body shop supply. Very happy with the end results. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM
shell2172
Advanced

Originally Posted by John 65
I had this same problem with Corvette America dye also. Was for a 68 interior, dark blue. The problem was the dark blue dye didn't even come close to matching their new dark blue top dash that I purchased from them.

After going back and fourth with them and mailing in painted swatches they finally reimbursed me. I then went with Dupont vinyl dye instead, purchased from a local body shop supply. Very happy with the end results. Good luck.
That amuses me....they told me that they have never had a problem with their interior dyes before....haha! I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has had to deal with them on this issue because they were making me feel like I was the dumb one here. I mailed their dye back today. I was considering ordering some new door panels and new seat covers from them, but I have requested vinyl samples of both before I even think about it!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Everyone who has a problem with a Corvette America part gets the same response: "What problem?" Then, you jump through some hoops, and most folks give up before they get any acknowledgement of a problem and/or a refund.

I'd send the cans back for a refund. Then, go buy the 'good' stuff. I don't even like the spray cans of SEM dye. They work OK, but I think the sheen on the finished part is too 'flat'. The mixed liquid dye, sprayed on...look just like factory-new condition. (And I'm old enough to know!!!)

Get notified of new replies

To Interior color matching issues

Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 AM
shell2172
Advanced

Everyone who has a problem with a Corvette America part gets the same response: "What problem?" Then, you jump through some hoops, and most folks give up before they get any acknowledgement of a problem and/or a refund.

I'd send the cans back for a refund. Then, go buy the 'good' stuff. I don't even like the spray cans of SEM dye. They work OK, but I think the sheen on the finished part is too 'flat'. The mixed liquid dye, sprayed on...look just like factory-new condition. (And I'm old enough to know!!!)
Thank you for your experienced advice!!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

7T1vette, sounds like you have some experience with this stuff from SEM, thanks for sharing. I took a look at their website and only found something called "Color Coat Aerosol" which they state "is not a dye, but a permanent paint coating". http://www.semproducts.com/color-coat-aerosols/. Is this the stuff you've used?

I called the local body shop supply store here and they said they have body shops all over using this stuff and not a single complaint, but this is not a true liquid dye. They said they have a Dupont system that is true dye, but it is very expensive at about $85 / pint. My guess is a pint goes a long way though.

Anyway, just wondering if this is the stuff you've used and also wondering if you clear the final finish to protect it. I see that they have a low-sheen clear too....

Appreciate any feedback!

Greg
Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

Depending upon the color, the interior parts showed variation in color even when the car was new... Expecting a perfect match now, from an aftermarket supplier, is asking a lot. You can certainly go the SEM route and have it custom tinted to your personal requirement, but expect to spend a lot more to do so.

Having said that, I spoke with a gentleman with plenty of Corvette painting experience who told me that Corvette America dye was pretty darn close for painting the plastic interior parts (NOT the vinyl covered parts). Matching it up to a couple different interior colors (dark saddle and red) on original parts, I would have to agree with him.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior color matching issues