Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the Hell is going on – New polyurethane bushings are disintegrating

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:40 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What the Hell is going on – New polyurethane bushings are disintegrating

What the Hell is going on – New polyurethane bushings are disintegrating

So I’ve been working on the car for quite a while now (10+ years). I installed the suspension bushings back then and the car has been sitting while I worked on it the whole time. I recently got to a point where I had to move it and it was in a drivable state, though not exactly street legal yet. So I drove it just over 6 miles and parked it again. I started finding parts of the suspension bushings on the floor around the car. They just fell apart. I figured that it was just from sitting for so long. Well I went out to work on it last night and when I opened the driver side door, it was stuck. I lifted it up and opened it, but then the alignment was off and it wouldn’t close. After looking around, I notice more bits of black plastic under the car around the door pillar. I found that all of the body mounts have started to disintegrate also. I installed the body mounts about 7 years ago (8-6-2007). The suspension and body mounts are from two different venders and installed about 5 years apart.
Anyone have an idea what is going on here? How to prevent it from happening again?
Here are some pictures of it.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kortensi
How to prevent it from happening again?
install rubber
Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Wow! That sucks! I don't have a clue, but I'm old school for quality rubber bushings on my first '68 project.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by qwank
install rubber

Preferably not the Chinese variety.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

This is not the first time I've heard of the much-worshipped poly bushings doing this.

Converting back to quality rubber bushings would kill two birds with one stone.
The following users liked this post:
John Ulrich (05-28-2019)
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
This is not the first time I've heard of the much-worshipped poly bushings doing this.

Converting back to quality rubber bushings would kill two birds with one stone.
I guess the next question is: Where do you find quality rubber bushings?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like the poly bushings dont like your Texas weather. The stock rubber bushings lasted 40+ years, so, why reinvent the wheel?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Gazehound
Intermediate

If you don't mind, who is the manufacture of your poly bushings? It might help others who have used the same manufacture identify and inspect their parts for the same issue. I would hate to see someone driving down the road and having parts falling off their car. Possibly wrecking their car.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
I think Wilcox carries stuff they will stand behind.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I think Wilcox carries stuff they will stand behind.
Yes, and VBP as well. Either poly or rubber.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What other chemicals are you storing in the same area as the car? Any pool chemicals, petroleum products (besides oil), etc. There may be something off gassing that is breaking down the bonds in the poly. You said the bushings are from different vendors and it looks like every poly bushing you have is damaged. Seems a little strange since the car has not even been in operation since you installed all of the bushings.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

On reading this thread in amazement, and having driven some 1,500 miles this year, I checked my mostly poly bushings this evening. They are just like new as installed about four years ago. We are looking at ~6,000 miles. You have not driven your car....

Did you buy cheap poly on EBay? Whether you go poly or rubber, and that is a continuing debate, I have never seen a case like this?? Do you remember your source?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got poly bushing that are pushing 10 yrs old and have no issues with cracking.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I've got poly bushing that are pushing 10 yrs old and have no issues with cracking.
So, obviously, not all poly is created equal. I've got poly CA bushings older than a few C3 owners. That said, please don't read that as my making a blanket endorsement, as even good poly isn't particularly well suited to certain locations IMCO.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 AM
Skid*MARK
Pro

I have the same problem on both of my 78 Pace Cars, the spring and the adjustable camber rod bushings are falling apart. I first started looking when I noticed the rear wheel leaning from the camber bushings and put it on the lift and found the others doing it. Both are about 12-15 years old, no miles, just sit stored in my shop. it is all VBP parts.
Still have not fixed them yet, looking at going back to stock camber rods and rubber bushings.
i also just changed a set in a friends car, same thing they fell apart after car was driven after sitting for several years in the garage, Changed the spring but the T-arms need it also. I dont know what brand his were, thet were red color. Mine are all black.
I have poly bushings on my 67 camaro for 15 years and no problem with them, car sits in same garage as the vettes, the camaro stuff is from Energy Suspension.
I have not called VBP yet to see if there is any thing they will do , might give it a try first and hope for the best. Either way its going to cost mt my time and labor plus a few alignments on the suspension. Should have stuck with the good old rubber, that is what went back on the 67 Vette I an restoring now.
Mark
Old 08-21-2014, 03:05 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wanted to get poly mounts too but was warned that they tend to crack after time. the bushing probably gave out from not getting dirt and grime and oil. I read numerous threads on poly vs rubber and shop recommended I stick to rubber for that reason but that was only for motor and tranny mounts. they said after a couple years poly tends to give and crack and rubber would outlast it. I still want red poly bushing for my suspension I don't care how harsh or stiff ride is gonna be.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Seems some of what is out there for sale is cr*p, problem is telling one from the other. I bought a new ram for the steering about a year ago, looking under the car recently I found the "rubber" dust seal for the ball joint was split almost in half. I had to disconnect the ram from the steering arm and replace the seal, I found the old seal of the original ram which I used as it was still like new.
New parts are NBG if made by unscrupulous people who like to increase their margin by using inferior materials. As I said at the start its hard to tell just by looking, I hate to say it but naming and shaming might be the only way to get the supplier to lift their game but I know this might open a can of worms.

Get notified of new replies

To What the Hell is going on – New polyurethane bushings are disintegrating

Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

It's not just poly-

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...tegrating.html

Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paul 74
+1. I've been on all of the major sites and I have not found one set of rubber body mount bushings. Only poly and aluminum.

Originally Posted by Gazehound
If you don't mind, who is the manufacture of your poly bushings? It might help others who have used the same manufacture identify and inspect their parts for the same issue. I would hate to see someone driving down the road and having parts falling off their car. Possibly wrecking their car.

The suspension is VB&P. I called and spoke to one of the techs there. He was very nice and helpful but after the car sitting for 10 years, I really didn't expect that they could do much. Most of the suspension bushings from them are in great shape. It's just the leaf spring and sway bar ends. I ordered the replacement bushings from the same guy on the phone. He had them in the mail same day.

As far as the body mounts, I'm not sure where I got them from. I have ordered parts from Ecklers, Zip, Corvette America, Corvette Central, Wilcox, Doc Rebuild, and probably more over the years. It would take digging up the receipt box and rummaging through it and hope I come across it.

I found that several people have replaced their (68-72 vette) body mounts with the energy suspension mounts for 73 and up Vettes. I ordered a set on Amazon and they should be here Friday.

Originally Posted by Texas70
What other chemicals are you storing in the same area as the car? Any pool chemicals, petroleum products (besides oil), etc. There may be something off gassing that is breaking down the bonds in the poly. You said the bushings are from different vendors and it looks like every poly bushing you have is damaged. Seems a little strange since the car has not even been in operation since you installed all of the bushings.
I have always been very careful with that (lots of small children in the house). The only thing that comes to mind is that I had a heck of a small trans leak for a while (It's finally fixed). I have B&M trick shift ATF as per the recommendation of the guy that rebuilt it. Maybe it was a combination of that and the heat over the years.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I went through the same thing with poly from a well-known vendor (it was not Willcox) that I bought from a forum member. Those fell apart over the course of a few months. I've replaced all with Moog rubber factory replacements. As Mike Ward alluded, the originals lasted all these many years so why change? Mine is a driver and it gets used often. Factory replacements work very well and are readily available. I don't need the minimal benefit poly might give, especially for a street car. If I live 34 more years and need to replace the factory rubber replacements then I'll worry about it then.

PS... I'll be 94. I hope I'm still driving and enjoying my 80 at that age.

Quick Reply: What the Hell is going on – New polyurethane bushings are disintegrating