Sponsored by:

What's it Worth? 70 Big Block Vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default What's it Worth? 70 Big Block Vert

Edits: Added a link to a few pics, updated info about engine (e.g. stamp pad), updated info about condition and seller, and that I'm looking for a driver car (does not have to be original).

I'm looking for a fun & fast "driver" C3 with AC (factory or not) and considering the 1970 big block convertible described below. Have owned multiple C3 small blocks and know them well, but am not as familiar with big blocks, hence seeking opinions.

Seller built this car to be a reliable driver (kept what he could as original, but he bought it very rough and already NOM). Indications are that this was an original BB car (e.g. faded and correct rpm tach, faded 454 console plate, half shaft straps, larger diameter front springs, older looking front and rear sway bars, etc.). Factory p/s, p/b and deluxe interior. Has Vintage Air AC and an L-88 hood (73 and later style, so wipers are now electric and original vacuum related parts are gone). Seller has no extra or original parts.

It has a 1971 or 1972 454 from its prior owner (could not verify, pad not visible). Current owner did a frame on restoration about 10 years ago, including: full engine rebuilt @ 500 hp with aluminum intake, aluminum M/T finned valve covers, headers, Mallory ignition (drives original tach), serpentine belt system, aluminum radiator with dual electric fans, electric fuel pump mounted in rear. Trans was switched to a Tremec 5-speed because original 4-speed casing was cracked, new springs & shocks all around, rebuilt trailing arms & differential, poly sway bar bushings, threaded adjustable strut rods, rebuilt calipers, slotted rotors, new headlight vac system with pump, body stripped down to fiberglass and painted Cortez Silver (originally red), new leather seats and top (and possibly door panels based on condition), original bumpers re-chromed, 18" Foose wheels now with like new BFG radials, Kenwood AM/FM/CD with remote, amp and rear speakers (sounded great), odometer set to zero at restoration time ~10 years ago and now at 25K miles. Seller showed me receipts for most of this work and says he may be able to dig up pictures.

Current condition: Paint job and quality look very good, no visible paint defects or damages and gaps/seams are straight. Rivets and bonding strips not visible. Interior and top look very good overall, seats and top look almost new, carpet a little faded above console. Everything works fine except A/C because it has never been filled with Freon or used (this would be one of my first items to fix). Looks great, runs very strong and is very fast. No visible rust underneath that I could find. Seller seemed to know C3 Corvettes fairly well and said he checked bird cage and other critical parts to ensure no rust during restoration. Seller also built and owns an 8 second 1/4 mile race truck and a pro touring first gen Camaro both nicely done (saw truck in person). Corvette always garaged since restoration.

The only pics I have so far: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EU&usp=sharing

Is it worth the $25K asking price?

I'm trying to negotiate due to the AC needing 134a full charge and possibly some parts in order to get it working properly.

Last edited by SharkAttack; 08-25-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkAttack

It has a 1971 or 1972 454 from its prior owner.

I'm trying to negotiate due to the AC needing 134a full charge and possibly some parts in order to get it working properly.
It certainly sounds like it's worth at least 25K, but pictures would help.
Is the vin # still on the engine block to verify that it came out of a '71 or '72 Corvette.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:05 PM
3x2s
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edits: Added a link to a few pics, updated info about engine (e.g. stamp pad), updated info about condition and seller.

I'm considering the 1970 big block convertible described below. Have owned multiple C3 small blocks and know them well, but am not as familiar with big blocks, hence seeking opinions.

Seller built this car to be a reliable driver (kept what he could as original, but he bought it very rough and already NOM). Indications are that this was an original BB car (e.g. faded and correct rpm tach, faded 454 console plate, half shaft straps, larger diameter front springs, older looking front and rear sway bars, etc.). Factory p/s, p/b and deluxe interior. Has Vintage Air AC and an L-88 hood (73 and later style, so wipers are now electric and original vacuum related parts are gone). Seller has no extra or original parts.

It has a 1971 or 1972 454 from its prior owner (could not verify, pad not visible). Current owner did a frame on restoration about 10 years ago, including: full engine rebuilt @ 500 hp with aluminum intake, aluminum M/T finned valve covers, headers, Mallory ignition (drives original tach), serpentine belt system, aluminum radiator with dual electric fans, electric fuel pump mounted in rear. Trans was switched to a Tremec 5-speed because original 4-speed casing was cracked, new springs & shocks all around, rebuilt trailing arms & differential, poly sway bar bushings, threaded adjustable strut rods, rebuilt calipers, slotted rotors, new headlight vac system with pump, body stripped down to fiberglass and painted Cortez Silver (originally red), new leather seats and top (and possibly door panels based on condition), original bumpers re-chromed, 18" Foose wheels now with like new BFG radials, Kenwood AM/FM/CD with remote, amp and rear speakers (sounded great), odometer set to zero at restoration time ~10 years ago and now at 25K miles. Seller showed me receipts for most of this work and says he may be able to dig up pictures.

Current condition: Paint job and quality look very good, no visible paint defects or damages and gaps/seams are straight. Rivets and bonding strips not visible. Interior and top look very good overall, seats and top look almost new, carpet a little faded above console. Everything works fine except A/C because it has never been filled with Freon or used (this would be one of my first items to fix). Looks great, runs very strong and is very fast. No visible rust underneath that I could find. Seller seemed to know C3 Corvettes fairly well and said he checked bird cage and other critical parts to ensure no rust during restoration. Seller also built and owns an 8 second 1/4 mile race truck and a pro touring first gen Camaro both nicely done (saw truck in person). Corvette always garaged since restoration.

The only pics I have so far: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EU&usp=sharing

This seems to be similer to my 69 advertized here (69 400HP Tri-Power) I have turned down many offers of $25000. You prob couldn't build it for $25000. Good luck
Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

It depends on what you're looking for. This is probably a nice driver, but I wouldn't pay mid $20,000s for a non-numbers matching car, especially if it needs even minor work. Once you get into fixing something, it's always more complicated and always ends up costing more than you think.

As said above, you probably couldn't build it for the asking price so if it's what you like then go for it. But cars are just not selling, so buy it to enjoy because you like it and not because you think you'll get your money out of it.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:23 PM
84reject
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the above. Remember your gonna spend at least a grand on misc repairs after you buy it. I would offer 23k and maybe have 25k in it when you get the a/c ect...working and the car on the road.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

How many other cars have you looked at in this price range? Seems about right to me because of all the suspension work - a lot of cars need that so it's nice to have it done.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:29 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
It depends on what you're looking for. This is probably a nice driver, but I wouldn't pay mid $20,000s for a non-numbers matching car, especially if it needs even minor work.
Out of curiosity, would you buy a non-numbers at any price other than for parts or quick resale?

As said above, you probably couldn't build it for the asking price so if it's what you like then go for it. But cars are just not selling, so buy it to enjoy because you like it and not because you think you'll get your money out of it.
It comes down to whether the car can be reproduced cheaper or whether there's a comparable available much cheaper.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Convertible BBC that needs minor work for $25K??

If its as clean as the picture I'd be all over it! I hate the wheels though.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

The price seems reasonable.
Good looking car, in a desirable color.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Looks very nice from the pics.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:54 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

I like the colors. Mirrors, hood and wiper door replaced. (not sure if you know this) Wheels are personal taste, I guess. Car could be a super fun driver; I'd want to pay a littlle less for a NOM, wrong color car, but if its what you want its not a terrible price.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Out of curiosity, would you buy a non-numbers at any price other than for parts or quick resale?
Sure, if I like the car and the price is right.

I don't know if the car in this case is local to the OP or if he'll have to have it shipped, but fixing the AC and shipping (if needed) and other things these cars invariably need will add up and he might be into the car for high $20,000s. On the other hand, if it's local and he's lucky he'll charge the AC and the car won't need anything else.

The OP's question was "Is it worth the $25K asking price?" That's a subjective question. To me it's not, but as I said in my first reply the car probably could not be easily duplicated for $25K, so if it's what the OP is looking for and it's worth it to him, then I say go for it.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I like the upgrades, except wheels that would be m.p.o.What I don't like is he has done great fixing everything but the ac .AC can cost a lot to fix.If he fixed the ac $25 k for that car is not bad .
Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Is it worth the $25K asking price?...
Do you think it's worth $25K? After all, you're the potential buyer.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Sure, if I like the car and the price is right.

I don't know if the car in this case is local to the OP or if he'll have to have it shipped, but fixing the AC and shipping (if needed) and other things these cars invariably need will add up and he might be into the car for high $20,000s. On the other hand, if it's local and he's lucky he'll charge the AC and the car won't need anything else.

The OP's question was "Is it worth the $25K asking price?" That's a subjective question. To me it's not, but as I said in my first reply the car probably could not be easily duplicated for $25K, so if it's what the OP is looking for and it's worth it to him, then I say go for it.
OK, some people who look for numbers wouldn't consider a NOM at any price. Others who aren't interested in numbers wouldn't likely pay the premium for a numbers car.

Price seems a bit higher than what I usually hear of but as has been pointed out, you probably couldn't reproduce this car any cheaper. If there are no other comparable cars available, cheaper, and this is THE car the buyer wants, I guess the price would seem reasonable.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

It's a mild resto-mod, so it isn't numbers-matching... and it doesn't sound like you care. If the car is rust-free, paint in good shape, driveline/brakes/suspension all good, interior in good shape... then yes, it is worth $25k.

A/C can be expensive to fix certainly, but you may not even use it. I didn't on my old '69 resto-mod BB 'vert, so I was glad it wasn't hooked up and I pulled it all off (just one more thing to go wrong).

Wheels are an easy fix if they are not your taste.

As all have said, it really depends on what you want. I couldn't care less about numbers-matching, myself.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Check the Ebay completed sales. That's a good nationwide estimate of what these cars are really selling for. In any case, don't expect to make a profit when you resell. Buy it to drive it. Non-numbers cars are more fun to own than NCRS trailer queens.

Get notified of new replies

To What's it Worth? 70 Big Block Vert

Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 AM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

You stated you want a fun, fast, driver with AC and non original convertible and is $25k too much?

This car seems to have everything you are looking for and it appears to be in very good shape.

Be diligent in checking the frame and bird cage for rust, check the bottom of the doors for rust and rot, make sure he's not selling it because he found something wrong and is dumping out. Don't look at it with rose colored glasses... Take a disinterested party and look at it up on a lift and drive it.

AC can be fixed I installed my own vintage air. Have a shop put vacuum on it to see if it holds could be o rings or maybe he never charged it. This isn't a show stopped at all. The whole AC system is $1k and it's already installed.

I have been building my NOM 69 convertible for 6 years and I have more than $25k into my car and it's not painted and needs an interior and new top still.

Add up all the stuff this car has going for it and then the condition of it and then say to yourself could I buy another car for this with all this has for less? Or could you start a project urself cheaper and do everything this car has cheaper than this car? Oh and work on it for years and years to complete it and not have the instant gratification of being able to drive it while you have it all apart?

Big block, aluminum rad with fans ,serpentine accessories , 5 Spd, AC, painted nice , nice top and interior... Add that all up and u can drive it right now? I challenge anyone to find one cheaper that has all this? Your buying someone else's project that he dumped all kinds a cash into and ur getting it for about half of what he has invested.

I know , look at my pics. I am paint and interior away from this car you are looking at and can tell you flat out I have almost double what this guy is asking.

When u sell this you would get most of your money back and have had a great car.

Just my $.02
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Listen to the post above .....he speak s the truth ....

I say ..it's a lot of bang for for the buck.....you get a turn key sounding car .
No waiting , years of labor , etc.......

This is a good buy....Car plus all the fixing up and goodies is worth more than 25 grand .....labor rates today are crazy.....so unless you do a car yourself , your not touching this price .

I agree with others you could drive the wheels off of it , for several years , and if you garage keep it ....I bet you could still get most of your money back.

Yeah....I'd never put those wheels on a C3 I'd own.....but you may even like em, and I m sure the rubber band tires corner great. Maybe you could sell em and find a nice set of corvette wheels , bands and hubs

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 08-25-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Having just done a restomod on my '69, it sounds very cheap to me if it's close to what you want. And it' ready to drive. It's taken me 1.5 years to complete mine, and that's hiring out all the labor...

Quick Reply: What's it Worth? 70 Big Block Vert