Sponsored by:

Nice throaty mufflers for a 1969 L46

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 06:14 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
HA. I didn't, but even if I did - that's comparing a 427 + headers + mufflers to a 350 w/ no headers!

Anyone responding with the magnaflows or n-11 without headers and/or a big block?
I used to have the corvette central exhaust with magna flow mufflers on my car. Ok, so yea its a big block, but its a stock 1974 454 with manifolds.

To be quite frank, they were just too quiet for me. Standing outside of the car they sounded pretty good, but inside the cabin they weren't that exciting.

If I recall correctly, they sounded pretty good when I had the windows up, and with that, they also had a speed on the highway that they would drone just a touch [but I suspect that all exhaust and rear differential combos have that at some point].

In the end, these mufflers do offer more volume than a stock muffler, but it wasn't a big enough difference for me to get excited about.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:16 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
I don't always run mufflers, but when I do I prefer Flowmaster 40s or 44s
Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 AM
DKDunn04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Mangaflows from Corvette Central, and they sound great. Quiet at idle, but loud at WOT.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Ultraflows just after initial startup of the new ZZ383 install.they've been on the vette for 14 yrs. They would be fairly similar to the Magnaflows but after all these years any fibreglass that was in them has had it. To me they sound great, not too loud until I get on it with a nice deep throaty sound and no drone.
I would go to a few local shows and listen to as many exhausts as possible, as you're reading on here what is load and possibly obnoxious to one person is simply beautiful music to others. I had the '69 style sidepipes on after I built the previous 383. They were so loud and btn 50 mph and 67 mph they had this hollow awful sounding drone. After about 15 minutes on the highway they just gave me a headache so I traded them to a fellow forum member whonhad just installed the Ultraflows on his '80 vette. I supplied the headers and he paid for the rest. My wife could hear me coming down the hiway which was about 1.5 away with the sidepipes. Some would love that, I just didn't enjoy it that loud but I love the Ultraflows and would buy again.

Last edited by gdh; 08-30-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Crafty12
Here is my newly built 70 LT-1 with the N-11. The shop just put the motor in this week. 2.5 inch GM manifolds and 2.5 inch N-11. 350 at .030 over, solid lifters, LT-1 cam 11:1 compression.

Edit: Why does photobucket always upload my stuff upside down? @!$&! Frustrating.

Crafty, video and sound would be awesome when you can upload.

Anyone give an opinion on the N11 mufflers compared to Magnaflows. Which would be louder?

Was thinking of going with the CC exhaust system in the near future. Have heard the N11s on other cars, I think they have one less baffle than the stock factory turbo, but compared to Magnafows or others, don't know where they fall sound wise.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a 1970 L46. I replaced the stock style exhaust with a 2.5" N11 system from CC. It's great. Easy to install, sounds good - sounds the way you want under throttle but is relatively quiet at cruise, etc. The mufflers have one less baffle than stock mufflers.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:21 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, I finally figured out the part numbers for Corvette Central on the N-11's.

You can buy the clamp on version #323325 @ $215 or the welded version with pipe on them # 323025 @ $ 352

I've got some unknown after markets on now that are quiet as a mouse so I think going from that to the N-11's should be good for me. AND they don't end up in the right position to put on the tips.

Will make a vid and post when I get that done one of these days.

Edit: now that i look at my pics I noticed some funky bends in my current pipes that don't look like they are there in the CC pics. I can't account for there my current pipes came from.

Do they look incorrect for my 4-speed application to anyone?

Thanks
Attached Images   

Last edited by donbayers; 09-01-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Originally Posted by donbayers

You can buy the clamp on version #323325 @ $215 or the welded version with pipe on them # 323025 @ $ 352

I've got some unknown after markets on now that are quiet as a mouse so I think going from that to the N-11's should be good for me. AND they don't end up in the right position to put on the tips.

Edit: now that i look at my pics I noticed some funky bends in my current pipes that don't look like they are there in the CC pics. I can't account for there my current pipes came from.

Thanks
Wonder if that CC pic for PN 323025 is a generic photo. My thinking is that the N11 mufflers are just in place of the same pipe used for the CC Magnaflow system they sell.. Best to call them up.

If you can later post a vid Don, that would be awesome.

My 22 year old headers are still hanging in there with Walker Turbos. Mufflers still under lifetime warranty. I would like to bring them back for warranty replacement - would be funny, but still no rust or leaks. Good product. Want to go back to stock manifolds re heat and go with 2 1/2" exhaust in place of my current 2". Wonder if the N11s will have a more slightly raspy sound, but not Flowmaster loud.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 AM
Crafty12
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino_'72
Crafty, video and sound would be awesome when you can upload.
If you click on the pic it should play the vid from my photobucket. If not I'll try posting it again.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by gdh
I would go to a few local shows and listen to as many exhausts as possible, as you're reading on here what is load and possibly obnoxious to one person is simply beautiful music to others. I had the '69 style sidepipes on after I built the previous 383. They were so loud and btn 50 mph and 67 mph they had this hollow awful sounding drone. After about 15 minutes on the highway they just gave me a headache so I traded them to a fellow forum member whonhad just installed the Ultraflows on his '80 vette. I supplied the headers and he paid for the rest. My wife could hear me coming down the hiway which was about 1.5 away with the sidepipes. Some would love that, I just didn't enjoy it that loud but I love the Ultraflows and would buy again.
That is very solid advice. I asked lots of questions and listened to lots of video/audio's before buying Corsa Sports for my C6. I ended up loving the exhaust note, but they simply weren't loud enough for my tastes. Ended up getting lucky and found a local guy that was going through a few different exhausts looking for the right one and sold me his Borla ATAKs for a great price.

I need to learn my lesson on that one. I think I'm one with a good tolerance and liking for loud. But I have heard an exhaust on a C3 that was head-pounding loud... I do need to have the patience to listen in person to some with the few shows I go to! One coming up next weekend -perhaps lots of great exhausts folks will want to display.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Originally Posted by Crafty12
If you click on the pic it should play the vid from my photobucket. If not I'll try posting it again.
Crafty, vid works on my PC, but did not play when viewed with my iPhone. So working from PhotoBucket.

Definite raspy sound. Sounds good. Is your LT1 stock compression and what cam? Has similar sound to another blue LT1 forum member who is running N11s. Nice.

The earlier suggestions on going to car shows to hear exhaust notes definitely has some merit. I think you need to know and ask engine size, compression and cam. Same exhaust on mild build will sound totally different. Throw in an X-pipe, headers, etc. things change somewhat again.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

On my L46 I have the Pypes SS 2.5" System, Headman Headers and their Race Pro Mufflers.

I really like them they are reasonable and good sound at speed, but really wake up under hard throttle.

They have sound clips on their website, but probably a 350 not a 427.

http://pypesexhaust.com/i-12200817-6...tem-scc12.html

http://pypesexhaust.com/c-702452-muf...-race-pro.html
Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

The Magnaflow system has really nice mandrel bent stainless pipes and stainless mufflers. Love that stuff.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have undercar chambered true dual exhaust and long tube headers on my 383.

I like the sound!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow...this is no brainer question ....a L46 69 corvette....you double the pleasure ....loud and beautiful at the SAME time . So you do two things to improve your corvette at once.....plus it will add to the value .

Factory

Side exhaust

Old 09-09-2014, 01:28 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Wow...this is no brainer question ....a L46 69 corvette....you double the pleasure ....loud and beautiful at the SAME time . So you do two things to improve your corvette at once.....plus it will add to the value .

Factory

Side exhaust

Oh don't tempt me! So just curious, for an original rear exhaust L46, how much would a set of factory side pipes cost for parts, then # hours approx. labor?

I keep thinking about just a muffler change out because it's so inexpensive. But I confess I LOVE the side pipes...
Old 09-09-2014, 10:51 PM
SD71VETTE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allen's Corvette Exhaust. I installed their LOUD muffler. I receive a lot of compliments.

Get notified of new replies

To Nice throaty mufflers for a 1969 L46

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
plus it will add to the value.
Sidepipes are a deal breaker for me, and actually kept from from going to look at a few Vettes when we were searching. If they truly added to the value, more would have them than not, which is not the case.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:57 AM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks
OK, Got the N-11's on the LS-5 and tips put on. See pics and Video. Not loud at all but a nice sound.

Attached Images    
Old 09-15-2014, 10:48 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

OK, Got the N-11's on the LS-5 and tips put on. See pics and Video. Not loud at all but a nice sound.
I like the sound. I just put a new complete exhaust system on mine from Zip. Not loud, but has a nice sound even at idle and the engine sounds tighter. I've had old mufflers on mine for so long I forgot what new ones sound like.
I see you painted your new mufflers, I thought about doing that but I thought it might raise a red flag when I go to sell it.

Quick Reply: Nice throaty mufflers for a 1969 L46