Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A stamp that is making me go WOW!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after doing some research it is safe to say that this car is NOT one of the elite 8 ZR1s in 1971.

It is registered and found the following information:

http://www.c3registry.com/index.php?...e&car_id=21163

It appears to be a bare bones LT-1 car with a couple of extras and deluxe trim. Has factory alarm and power steering. Nonetheless my impression that this car is indeed the real deal so far. Transmission does not appear to be a M-22 as it is not listed as one of the options. I still like it a lot though.

Last edited by theblackvette; 08-27-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 PM
jbrown8238
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NE Events Coordinator

The ZR1 special engine package was a $1,221.00 option available exclusively with the LT-1 engine option. It included the solid-lifter small-block engine, heavy-duty four-speed transmission, power brakes, aluminum radiator, and a revised suspension with special springs, shocks, stabilizer bar, and spindle-strut shafts. Since it was competition equipment, the ZR1 could not be ordered with power windows, power steering, air conditioning, a rear-window defogger, wheel covers, or a radio. Only 53 1970-1972 ZR1's were built (25 in 1970, including 8 convertibles, 8 in 1971, and 20 in 1972).

Am seeing a power steering pump in there on the pic of the engine

Also, was the antenna an add on maybe, wasn't an option

Astro-Ventilation sticker

Wish I had $26 k though, is a nice car.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jbrown8238
The ZR1 special engine package was a $1,221.00 option available exclusively with the LT-1 engine option. It included the solid-lifter small-block engine, heavy-duty four-speed transmission, power brakes, aluminum radiator, and a revised suspension with special springs, shocks, stabilizer bar, and spindle-strut shafts. Since it was competition equipment, the ZR1 could not be ordered with power windows, power steering, air conditioning, a rear-window defogger, wheel covers, or a radio. Only 53 1970-1972 ZR1's were built (25 in 1970, including 8 convertibles, 8 in 1971, and 20 in 1972).

Am seeing a power steering pump in there on the pic of the engine

Also, was the antenna an add on maybe, wasn't an option

Astro-Ventilation sticker

Wish I had $26 k though, is a nice car.
Yeah, right as you were typing your post I went to the registry and I got what appears to be the entire story. WHICH IS A GREAT THING! As I think this provides a reasonable assessment at what exactly we have going on and it is beginning to make sense.

The car has power steering indeed.

I am officially saying this is not a ZR-1, BUT it appears to still be on my list of possible gems as a genuine car and is still at a WOW status!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

I am so moved by this car, I contacted the seller, as I am really interested in learning more about this car.....

I already like this seller.

The headlights work fine, the clock does not work. The fiber optics work. The wipers need the vacuum lines put back on they are missing.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

It probably won't appreciate much in your lifetime, but it looks like it would be a nice driver. It seems like an honest car.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Well after doing some research it is safe to say that this car is NOT one of the elite 8 ZR1s in 1971.

It is registered and found the following information:

http://www.c3registry.com/index.php?...e&car_id=21163

It appears to be a bare bones LT-1 car with a couple of extras and deluxe trim. Has factory alarm and power steering. Nonetheless my impression that this car is indeed the real deal so far. Transmission does not appear to be a M-22 as it is not listed as one of the options. I still like it a lot though.

Why are you putting faith in what somebody posted on a registry?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Why are you putting faith in what somebody posted on a registry?
I have a gut feeling...but need confirmation that all CGY stamps were for ZR1 cars only? If so then there will be many ??????s.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Well I got confirmation. Eight cars in 1971 would have the CGY stamp. I am just peplexed on how nice this stamp looks! To me it totally appears typical factory production.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

I am just peplexed on how nice this stamp looks! To me it totally appears typical factory production.
Marc,

In reality, it's a lousy photo to start with and one of the reasons that you really need to see a pad in person in order to make a determination.

In this case, it's not so hard to make a call.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM
7007vette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car is local to me, I will see if he will show the car tomorrow after work.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Let's see. 1971, mille migali red, black deluxe interior, 4 speed and could be a rock crusher tranny, rare LT 1. Radio delete...who cares? The exhaust is the music I wanna hear. What scammer is smart enough to stamp a CGY on the block? I say not one. I like it!
"What scammer is smart enough to stamp a CGY on the block? I say not one." Oh my, I beg, implore, urge, ask and pray you not cruise your way thru the wonderful world of Corvettes with that thought as the gospel. You are right, it is a nice and certainly collectible car.
Dr. Mac
Professor Emeritus, S.O.H.K. (school of hard knocks)
Houston Texas
Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Very few cars excite me. This one is so doing it because it is my favorite year and may actually be a real special car. I did have caffeine though today. I tend to bash advertised cars. It is exciting to find one that is shielded from me. A very rare occurance!!!!
Originally Posted by jbrown8238

Only 53 1970-1972 ZR1's were built (25 in 1970, including 8 convertibles, 8 in 1971, and 20 in 1972).

OK, I see your excitement more clearly now. Thanks and wouldn't this have been a true gem, if a genuine ZR1?

I had the impression from reading a different post or from another allegedly trusted source, that along with the "not available equipment" list that jbrown posted when ordering the ZR1, these early ZR1 cars were also heater delete. Is that information not correct? Hence, my earlier observation.

I understood that ZR1 and ZR2 packages were never really intended to be registered for the street. That Chevrolet offered them as unsponsored factory race cars, be that road or drag.

Along with a M22, wasn't the ignition the optional transistorized, K66? Didn't they also come with the J56 (J55?) brakes? Or were these options not available for the 1971 ZR1?

Only attempting to learn why TBV would be as thrilled as he is. Those surviving ZRx cars are very rare and especially, if offered at less than $27K for an operational Corvette.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Eddie,

All of the C3 factory race cars ( L-88, ZL-1, ZR-1, and ZR-2) had heaters. This was a result of federal regulations that required an operational defroster on cars sold in the continental US beginning with the 1968 model year. To have an operational defroster, you need an operational heater... So all Corvettes had them whatever engine was installed.

The J-56, F-41, and M-22 options were part of the ZR-1 and ZR-2 packages... K-66 was not a stand alone option, but was part of the 1970-1971 LT-1 and 1971 LS-6 options. K-66 was not available in 1972... Not even with the ZR-1.

Regards,

Stan
Old 08-28-2014, 01:15 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Stan what is your opinion,real or not ?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jr9170
Stan what is your opinion,real or not ?
I know your ? was directed at Stan.

But I can say with confidence that this is NOT a ZR-1. It has power steering and the RPO codes simply do not support it. We are talking about EIGHT cars. This isn't one of them.

HOWEVER, I am not convinced yet that this motor came with this car and stamped as such. Weird things have happened at the factory. We all know this. Someone about this car is ringing I am what I am.

The seller sent me a picture of the mylar door sticker which is still attached to the door. I tried to blow it bigger but I can't make it out but it isn't readable. I requested another one.

If it does look authentic, does it prove that the motor came with the car? No, BUT it just enhances the integrity of the car. A car like this has to prove itself.

I am still impressed with this car.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:24 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7007vette
The car is local to me, I will see if he will show the car tomorrow after work.
That would be great! If you can please get some pictures, especially of the important areas, eg stamp pad, trim tag, frame, vin pillar, etc.

See if the seller will allow you to clean up the pad a bit especially the area where the VIN is.

Simply put, try to find things about this car that would give any idea that someone tried to clone it into a ZR-1?

If you cannot find such evidence then it will again point to a bare bones LT-1 with a couple of extras and basically the only mystery will be that stamping.

It is a puzzling car but, I wouldn't toss this one out if someone were really interested.

HEY, I am interested myself.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:51 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default Here is the blue sticker!

Take a gander. Looks pretty authentic to me!

Get notified of new replies

To A stamp that is making me go WOW!!!!!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

IIRC, 1970-71 ZR1 cars had a steel radiator shroud.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Years ago there was a guy on here who had a real ZR1, forget his name, was 3-4 letters I think.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jughead
Years ago there was a guy on here who had a real ZR1, forget his name, was 3-4 letters I think.
Would be nice to hear from him. All would agree that this car in question is not one of the eight 71 zr1s. Rowdy Rat says the stamp pad needs to be looked at in person. There is no argument there. BUT is it that far fetched that a non zr1 lt1 actually got CGY stamped? It is my thought that maybe that the options ordered were in the mind of the orderer zr1 similar. Maybe the stamper saw that radio delete and just stamped it CGY? I am being serious. Is it laughable to think this car actually got a CGY stamp at the factory?

Quick Reply: A stamp that is making me go WOW!!!!!