Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A stamp that is making me go WOW!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 AM
71boss351
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is actually my car, I have owned it since 1996. Never drove it.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 71boss351
This is GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for coming forward.

I am finding your car extremely fascinating!

Feel free to disclose any information in my thread about your car. And thank you for responding to my emails. As I thought I found you to be a honest seller. You have proven this to me. Seller answers my emails, Seller shows up in thread I created voluntarily= CLASS ACT!

I do have to ask? Scratching my head. Never drove it? How come?

Again thanks for coming into the thread.

Last edited by theblackvette; 08-28-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:27 AM
71boss351
Navigator

I actually have owned several Lt1 cars they are my favorites. I had a 71 vert, a 72 Lt1 vert with a/c. I just got busy with life and it went on the back burner.
The car was hit in the right rear before I bought was fixed hence the lock in the tail panel it is not an alarm. The engine stamp is legit as I have had several renowned experts look at the stamp. It has no overflow tank on it and does not have the dual pin calipers on it. Hence I do not believe it is one of 8.........It has great paint and I am only representing the car as an Lt1 car. Steve
Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 AM
71boss351
Navigator

I actually have owned several Lt1 cars they are my favorites. I had a 71 vert, a 72 Lt1 vert with a/c. I just got busy with life and it went on the back burner.
The car was hit in the right rear before I bought was fixed hence the lock in the tail panel it is not an alarm. The engine stamp is legit as I have had several renowned experts look at the stamp. It has no overflow tank on it and does not have the dual pin calipers on it. Hence I do not believe it is one of 8.........It has great paint and I am only representing the car as an Lt1 car. Steve

It does spark conversation though........
Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Steve thanks for the reply! This is going to help a lot.

Also, I looked up your other post! I see you have very few posts and your previous one was a for sale thread. It had to be pulled because back then because it was linked to ebay. Please know ebay links are now allowed so you may want to consider placing your car in the for sale section. Just a thought.

I am also believing that the stamp is legit myself. But you must understand that this is quite bizzare. CGY as you know was routed for the elite 8 that you spoke about.

I am indeed thinking that it is quite possible that CGY was stamped on non ZR-1 LT1's as well, albeit very few. I am thinking that you have one of these, especially if you had several experts look at the stamp.

Thanks for confirming the lack of the overflow tank, as of course these is another tell tale sign it is NOT one of the elite 8. But, aside from this, your car to me could be one of these freaky anomolies.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

I gotta tell you, well everyone here knows I am nuts, but in a good way!

But the thought has crossed my mind that I would love to have this car parked next to my 454 coupe. I would have to probably sell my 2008 black convertible to make space. I think I would be nuts enough to do it. I like 1971 cars that much, especially red ones.

There is a guy who is local to you that chimed in this thread that is local to you. I believe he is going to try to see the car.

Whether or not this car ends up in my hands or not, I do think you got a real special car on your hands. I like it a LOT from what I am learning about it.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Maybe the stamper saw that radio delete and just stamped it CGY? I am being serious. Is it laughable to think this car actually got a CGY stamp at the factory?
The engine details were stamped at Flint or Tonawanda, not St. Louis. Although cars not ordered with a radio were fairly rare ('radio delete' is incorrect) this car is not one of them. It has the normal centre console used with either type of radio.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice car.

Have you checked the drivers side front wheel well for holes that might have mounted the TI module?

Also, is the transmission origional? Do you have any numbers/stamps from it?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mashman
Very nice car.

Have you checked the drivers side front wheel well for holes that might have mounted the TI module?

Also, is the transmission origional? Do you have any numbers/stamps from it?

Thanks
These are great questions! I have mentioned this to the seller.

HEY, are you moving in on my find.

In all seriousness, I am considering this car, but it is ANYONE's grab. No worries at all.

I also like this seller very much and if this helps forward a sale to anyone, especially a member of this forum that would be wonderful.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finding things on the car that would not be on a ZR1 does not disprove that the car started out as a ZR1, unless you can also prove that it was originally on the car. Over 40+ years anything could have been replaced.

Suppose that this car was an original ZR1. The owner raced it, wrecked it, and then sold it as a project car. Anything could have been replaced, or added to make the car more functional or desirable. Only things that contain a VIN serial, or date code can be show to be possibly original.

Without documentation I think it would be hard to prove it is an actual ZR1, but it might be possible. I would hire someone to perform a VIN history search, and find out who exactly purchased the car originally, if it turns out to be a known racer, the car might have some significant value.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mashman
Finding things on the car that would not be on a ZR1 does not disprove that the car started out as a ZR1, unless you can also prove that it was originally on the car. Over 40+ years anything could have been replaced.

Suppose that this car was an original ZR1. The owner raced it, wrecked it, and then sold it as a project car. Anything could have been replaced, or added to make the car more functional or desirable. Only things that contain a VIN serial, or date code can be show to be possibly original.

Without documentation I think it would be hard to prove it is an actual ZR1, but it might be possible. I would hire someone to perform a VIN history search, and find out who exactly purchased the car originally, if it turns out to be a known racer, the car might have some significant value.
Another great point!

It does appear that this car has NO return fuel line, but absent TI ignition.

Is it documented fact that not all LT-1's came with TI ignition?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Why are you putting faith in what somebody posted on a registry?
Looks like my faith has paid off and my gut feeling was correct!

Seems as genuine as they come.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

The engine stamp is legit as I have had several renowned experts look at the stamp.
Steve,

Just curious who those people might have been.

Like the bank robber in Dirty Harry... "I gots to know..."

Regards,

Stan
Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
Steve,

Just curious who those people might have been.

Like the bank robber in Dirty Harry... "I gots to know..."

Regards,

Stan
Oh Stan I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
The engine details were stamped at Flint or Tonawanda, not St. Louis. Although cars not ordered with a radio were fairly rare ('radio delete' is incorrect) this car is not one of them. It has the normal centre console used with either type of radio.
There is some weird stuff going on here!

I have TWO 1971 radios. One I purchased on ebay for dirt cheap right after I purchased the 454. It appears in good condition..

I then ended up getting the original one to my car later on by the previous owner.

So....weird things to happen. Maybe my radio that is sitting on my table is meant for this car?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:58 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

After some research I learned that 130 M22 units were produced in 1971.

M22 4-Speed Man Trans, close ratio, HD 130 100.00

SO.... i like to know did all of these 130 get the CGY stamp, maybe ONLY EIGHT, or maybe a FEW squeaked by above the EIGHT and got the CGY stamping? There were 188 LS6's made. Did they not get M-22? These can't be inclusive of the 130. That makes no sense.

According to Rowley's the CGY only specifies M22. It says NOTHING about it being a ZR-1. Which leads me to believe that if M22 came with the car it could get a CGY stamp. Period.

Just as a 454 manual transmission in 1971 would get a CPH on its stamp pad.

I really think there is a logical explanation here. The seller told me the tranny numbers are matching to the car and HAS the heavy duty half shafts!

It is a very simple question and I think it could have a very simple answer.

Perhaps the 130 units that are being identified are ones that went into cars that are NOT LS-6 and NOT ZR-1?

Last edited by theblackvette; 08-28-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manual transmissions DID NOT get engine suffix codes. They were stamped with the transmission assembly, ie: P1C05C and then the VIN derivative, ie: C11S115065. This is the example from one of my M22 equipped cars. Of the 130 M22 equipped, the other 122 units were installed in LS-6 ordered cars.

Last edited by early shark; 08-28-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A stamp that is making me go WOW!!!!!

Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Jughead
Years ago there was a guy on here who had a real ZR1, forget his name, was 3-4 letters I think.
Maybe this guy who's name rhymes with Floss?

Old 08-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by theblackvette
...According to Rowley's the CGY only specifies M22. It says NOTHING about it being a ZR-1...
Take a look at sources other than Rowley's, BV. CGY is the suffix for the LT-1 ZR-1. The ZR-1 package required the M22.

CGZ is the LT-1 without the ZR-1 package. You could order an M22 with your CGZ.

...Which leads me to believe that if M22 came with the car it could get a CGY stamp. Period....
Only if it was also a ZR-1.

Keep up your research. You're learning...but part of learning is using credible sources. You've got a Black Book. You've got the 71 Judging Guide. The NCRS 1968-82 Corvette Specifications Guide is also good.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 08-28-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Take a look at sources other than Rowley's, BV. CGY is the suffix for the LT-1 ZR-1. The ZR-1 package required the M22.

CGZ is the LT-1 without the ZR-1 package. You could order an M22 with your CGZ.

Only if it was also a ZR-1.

Keep up your research. You're learning...but part of learning is using credible sources. You've got a Black Book. You've got the 71 Judging Guide. The NCRS 1968-82 Corvette Specifications Guide is also good.
Thank for the reply. I checked additional sources and the overwhelming majority of them do state CGY ZR1. Therefore on paper, a CGY stamp only indicates a ZR1 car.

This officially is the most troubling stamp pad/car I have ever seen. I find stamp pads very fascinating. I have a broach buster and everytime I go to an event I use it and look at stamp pads. Am I an expert, NO, but I feel as I have a good idea to pick out signs that they are not original.

Is there any such thing as a restamp that can fool someone? Sure there is. I have not come across one though. There always seems to be some issue that can be pointed out to suggest it is a fake.

As for this stamp pad in question, I CANNOT point out anything in the current picture that suggests that this stamp is not what it was originally intended to be.

One member pointed out is perhaps this was originally a racer, ZR1 and got smashed up and had a rebirth into something else. It is possible.

The image to my eyes is quite good. There has to be someone out there that can see something I am not seeing? Come out and say it either in the thread or shoot me a PM in confidence. The entire thing is just bizzare.

There are always wacky things that happen at the assembly plant. Maybe this is one of those times someone did a mix up. I don't know but I simply can't say this is a non genuine stamping basing only on the sources provided. I like to know if there are any tell tale signs that this suggests that this stamp is not what it is.

Last edited by theblackvette; 08-28-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: A stamp that is making me go WOW!!!!!