Sponsored by:

New Covette Owner Needs Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 08:35 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by adsvette
You should try reading the rest of the posts to see the useful replies.
Sorry...I didn't boast you got a great deal.... ...I think you took me wrong, some things are not all dollars and cents
Old 09-29-2014, 09:57 AM
adsvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Sorry...I didn't boast you got a great deal.... ...I think you took me wrong, some things are not all dollars and cents
No problem, don't take me too seriously either.

I love this Corvette, and can't wait to get it on the road.

Thanks,
David
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

No problem, don't take me too seriously either.

I love this Corvette, and can't wait to get it on the road.

Thanks,
David
Ok, so now I'm confused, you told the other guy not to take you too seriously, so when you say you "can't wait to get it on the road" does that mean you could care less?

Sorry, just jerking your chain I'm sure that you are dead serious about getting it going and enjoying it
Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM
adsvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Ok, so now I'm confused, you told the other guy not to take you too seriously, so when you say you "can't wait to get it on the road" does that mean you could care less?

Sorry, just jerking your chain I'm sure that you are dead serious about getting it going and enjoying it
I've owned and worked on a lot vehicles over the years but this is a lot different, it's a very emotional adventure.

One of my friends I talked to on Sunday is a mechanic, familiar with Corvette. He said "I guess you think about it all the time". I do, because unlike any other vehicle I want to know every detail about it. I'm like that with most things, but this is a first for a car.

I'm enjoying it, it's a lot of fun. And even more when you find so many other enthusiasts like yourself to share it with.

Thanks,
David
Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I've owned and worked on a lot vehicles over the years but this is a lot different, it's a very emotional adventure.

One of my friends I talked to on Sunday is a mechanic, familiar with Corvette. He said "I guess you think about it all the time". I do, because unlike any other vehicle I want to know every detail about it. I'm like that with most things, but this is a first for a car.

I'm enjoying it, it's a lot of fun. And even more when you find so many other enthusiasts like yourself to share it with.

Thanks,
David
Yes it's a lot of fun mixed in with some frustration and a pinch of scraped knuckles
Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM
adsvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Yes it's a lot of fun mixed in with some frustration and a pinch of scraped knuckles
I hope I don't get frustrated, this is my outlet from other frustrations. A friend said that it would be good for my sanity. We are self employed in the same business and deal with frustration almost daily, caused by incompetent people we have to bend to.

I wanted this Corvette as is for something to work on, I like the challenge. I didn't want one that was ready to drive with no issues.

A few minutes ago I fixed the gas gauge, it was reading over full. It took a couple tries before I found the ground plug near the fuel cap was badly corroded. After sanding the connectors, it didn't work, the 2nd try did the trick. That was a good feeling after a day frustration.

Thanks for your comments,
David
Old 09-30-2014, 04:38 PM
sfallison
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Family!
I have had mine for about 10yrs now(75 Coupe). It was a "barn find", and completely trashed. I paid $4,000 for her, and yeah.. I probably could have held out for paying less - No regrets! I have had a few guys ask me if she's for sale - NO!!!
I laughed when some posted " It took me 15 years to get her back to original". Now I know... I've been working on my for 10 years now! I finally got her painted 2 years ago, and I have been getting 1st/2nd place in the 82 and older Corvette categories for the past 2 years! She was even featured on the award plaques last month at one of the local car shows. Do I love her? Yes!

I was coming home from Cars & Coffee (huge monthly show & shine), and a guy in a pickup said " I have been watching your car in my rearview mirror, and I have to say that's the sexiest car I have ever seen"! Just made my day!

I love to get pictures of babes with my Vette, and let kids sit in her and have their parents take photos ( and quite a few parents have their pic's taken too).

Your adventure is just starting. You'll have some frustration (and curse the engineers at GM), but in the end when you start her up, and get that "Huge grin" going down the road - It's all worth it.

Enjoy! and keep us updated on your progress!

This is "Rose"

Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 PM
adsvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sfallison
Welcome to the Corvette Family!
I have had mine for about 10yrs now(75 Coupe). It was a "barn find", and completely trashed. I paid $4,000 for her, and yeah.. I probably could have held out for paying less - No regrets! I have had a few guys ask me if she's for sale - NO!!!
I laughed when some posted " It took me 15 years to get her back to original". Now I know... I've been working on my for 10 years now! I finally got her painted 2 years ago, and I have been getting 1st/2nd place in the 82 and older Corvette categories for the past 2 years! She was even featured on the award plaques last month at one of the local car shows. Do I love her? Yes!

I was coming home from Cars & Coffee (huge monthly show & shine), and a guy in a pickup said " I have been watching your car in my rearview mirror, and I have to say that's the sexiest car I have ever seen"! Just made my day!

I love to get pictures of babes with my Vette, and let kids sit in her and have their parents take photos ( and quite a few parents have their pic's taken too).

Your adventure is just starting. You'll have some frustration (and curse the engineers at GM), but in the end when you start her up, and get that "Huge grin" going down the road - It's all worth it.

Enjoy! and keep us updated on your progress!

This is "Rose"

Hi Rose;

Your Corvette is a beauty, nice paint job.

Great that you allow people to touch it, I don't want mine to be hands off either.

Yes, I'm already miffed as to why GM would use non corrosive parts and corrosive parts in the same situation, for example the gas tank sender wire connection and the nearly rusted out ground connection.

Today I took the driver seat completely apart and found the cover was secured with non corrosive clips but all the clinch wires are rusted steel. I'll post the my repair methods and results later.

These issues aren't a problem though, they will be improved when I'm done with them.

Thanks for the post and welcome,

David
Old 10-01-2014, 12:23 AM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep up the good work
Old 10-01-2014, 11:42 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi Rose;

Your Corvette is a beauty, nice paint job.
lol, The poster is Scott, the car is named Rose... according to his profile.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 PM
adsvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 74Ken
lol, The poster is Scott, the car is named Rose... according to his profile.
Gee, Duh.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:05 PM
adsvette
Intermediate

Hey Guys;

This should wind this thread up, I got my appraisal today.

My Corvette is valued at $14,300.

The report was like night and day compared to the first one.
The appraiser even delivered by hand to my door.
Details of the car were far more documented.

I'm happy, now I can get the insurance set up as it should be.

I will continue posting about my progress with repairs etc.
I'll start new threads for task focused adventure.

Thanks for all help,
David
Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 547 Likes on 375 Posts

Hey Guys;

This should wind this thread up, I got my appraisal today.

My Corvette is valued at $14,300.

I'm happy, now I can get the insurance set up as it should be.

I will continue posting about my progress with repairs etc.
I'll start new threads for task focused adventure.

Thanks for all help,
David

Yes, It looks like you got a great deal on a Corvette. Looks in great condition for the age....assume no frame/birdcage rust. These model years of Corvettes had high sales records.

But...lets speak truthfully here. These years were anemic on horsepower. I don't think you can have a truly real corvette experience with these low horsepower cars. I say that with sadness. If you've only got $3500 in the car and can register it without the original smog controls, put a GM Performance Parts catalog ZZ4 or ZZ383 in it. Lack of horsepower is one reason these cars have low values. Otherwise they are very desireable cars.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:10 PM
adsvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Yes, It looks like you got a great deal on a Corvette. Looks in great condition for the age....assume no frame/birdcage rust. These model years of Corvettes had high sales records.

But...lets speak truthfully here. These years were anemic on horsepower. I don't think you can have a truly real corvette experience with these low horsepower cars. I say that with sadness. If you've only got $3500 in the car and can register it without the original smog controls, put a GM Performance Parts catalog ZZ4 or ZZ383 in it. Lack of horsepower is one reason these cars have low values. Otherwise they are very desireable cars.
Actually I paid $5,300. With tax on the $5,300 and a few parts I'm up to about $6,500 for the Corvette. Add to that the build report from GM, my library of manuals and tools that needed to be replaced, it's already adding up quickly, to about $7,500.

I don't mind the horsepower, and want to keep it as original as possible. My appraiser said original isn't desirable as it used to be, but it's what I want. I've been told a few tricks such as getting emissions stuff out of the loop will boost performance. Gutting the catalytic converter is one.

Thanks for the comments,
David

Last edited by adsvette; 10-03-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:44 PM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry forgot to say mine is a 1973 I like original as well, but I'm lucky because mine is a L82 car only 344 sold in Canada.
Actually I paid $5,300. With tax on the $5,300 and a few parts I'm up to about $6,500 for the Corvette. Add to that the build report from GM, my library of manuals and tools that needed to be replaced, it's already adding up quickly, to about $7,500.

I don't mind the horsepower, and want to keep it as original as possible. My appraiser said original isn't desirable as it used to be, but it's what I want. I've been told a few tricks such as getting emissions stuff out of the loop will boost performance. Gutting the catalytic converter is one.

Thanks for the comments,
David

Last edited by chucksingh; 10-06-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:15 PM
adsvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chucksingh
I like original as well, but I'm lucky because mine is a L82 car only 344 sold in Canada.
For the 1979 Corvette Dark Green vinyl and cloth interior only 203 sold in Canada. There's no way of knowing how many had the Dark Green body paint. GM said they don't have that info. Odds are that it was about 25 to 50, since Dark Green body was the 2nd least popular colour. After 35 years there are likely a lot less in existence.

Thanks for posting,
David

Last edited by adsvette; 10-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: New Covette Owner Needs Opinion