Sponsored by:

Looking at a 75' need your input

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Looking at a 75' need your input

So I have looked a few cars in the last month all over the state of Michigan. Looked at some nice ones and a couple that were FUBAR. I work in an auto parts store and one of the local guys mentions our local police chief has his 75' for sale. So I took a quick look the other day and it seems like an alright car for an alright price. It has been repainted, not the best job but not terrible either, its dark red. It has a saddle interior which is VERY nicely redone. Power windows work nice and are tight. radio works but is weak for some reason, AM/FM original. The engine compartment is nice, original and block is #'s matching odo indicates 90K. A/C car still R12 in good working order. The original automatic trans was rebuilt 2 years ago and shifts nice fluid is nice and red with no odor. The rear suspension has been rebuilt and a fiberglass spring was used, no brake or diff leaks. The front suspension has had the bushings replaced along with the front shocks. Headlights work as advertised with no hesitation. There are no signs of cracks but you can see where someone remove a luggage rack. I could not find any signs of rust on the frame or bird cage other than surface, I also noticed some of the body mount rubbers have been replaced. The only down sides I could find were some minor leakage at the power steering valve and the hose look original. The engine is showing its age with a little smoke on cold start and it lacks in power somewhat. I can buy the car for $7K, or there about. Thoughts? anything else I should look for? Mike
Attached Images      

Last edited by mike48750; 08-28-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

pics please
Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
take a look at he link
Old 08-28-2014, 10:01 PM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '75 (also dark red) and really like it. The '75 has some advantages:

HEI Ignition
Electric (non-mechanical) oil pressure gauge
First year with lined gas tank.
Still exempt from smog inspection in many states (i.e. a lot have retro-fitted true dual exhausts.)

I think the car you are looking at is a candidate to be a good driver at a good price. Remember, paint can be $5,000 plus and an interior can go over $1,500 pretty easily. The fact that some suspension parts have been replaced means you won't be doing everything right away. If you get under the car and bang on the frame from front to back (bring mask and goggles) and the car tracks straight at 70 mph I say buy it if you like it.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Good looking car and you did a pretty good job on reporting the good and the bad. That's highly helpful, as well as the pics. Only two pretty good sized issues with it and you can live with those for awhile.

The smoke on the start up, is (as you probably know), the valve guides and it's likely it will need the heads redone, but if you do that, it's only temporary, as the higher compression, will eventually get you some oil blowby from the piston rings. But mine went two years, before I had to finally just pull the engine.

The second issue, is pretty common on these cars and it's always a given, that as old as that power steering system is going to have to get looked at. Basically, three components, the power steering pump, the control valve and the hydraulic ram that actually pushes the whole shebang from side to side. My bet is on the last two components, as those are the most likely to leak. Not an easy repair, you can either rebuild or replace, depending on your experience.

The interior is definitely a plus, and it's not hard to wake up a Chevy SBC. The price is a little bad, but not outrageous either, you can probably come down $500 or so. I like how it looks and if you've researched here, you know, that you're going to be working on it, anyways, so might as get your feet wet!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C3Hawk
I have a '75 (also dark red) and really like it. The '75 has some advantages:

HEI Ignition
Electric (non-mechanical) oil pressure gauge
First year with lined gas tank.
Still exempt from smog inspection in many states (i.e. a lot have retro-fitted true dual exhausts.)

I think the car you are looking at is a candidate to be a good driver at a good price. Remember, paint can be $5,000 plus and an interior can go over $1,500 pretty easily. The fact that some suspension parts have been replaced means you won't be doing everything right away. If you get under the car and bang on the frame from front to back (bring mask and goggles) and the car tracks straight at 70 mph I say buy it if you like it.
I have a 75 and all of these things are an advantage. The downside of this year was horse power (at 165) but I wanted a solid stock car and thats what I got. Car looks good haggeling is part of the deal. Good Luck
Old 08-28-2014, 11:01 PM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dtianen
I have a 75 and all of these things are an advantage. The downside of this year was horse power (at 165)
Totally agree about the low original horsepower but with the rebuild and long tube headers 165hp is now thankfully a distant memory!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:17 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

I was expecting a totally different car for 7000 looks like a good start for you. Interior from pics look good paint job is not bad from pics. hp cost money but you can make it as fast as want later while keeping it a driver for meanwhile.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 AM
tx75vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another place to look for rust is the bottom of the radiator core support.
Also check the bonding strips on the underside of the fenders and quarters for any repairs or previous body damage.

Remove oil fill cap and check for excessive sludge inside motor. Sometimes the oil drain back holes get clogged with sludge and hold oil at the top of the motor causing it to smoke. If no sludge will probably just need valve stem seals.

Car looks nice in pics. Is that a original color?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:56 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

You named about $3,000+ worth of improvements and repairs that the owner has already done to the car, plus a "fair-looking paint job".

That puts you "ahead of the game" already.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 AM
vette_20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike48750
So I have looked a few cars in the last month all over the state of Michigan. Looked at some nice ones and a couple that were FUBAR. I work in an auto parts store and one of the local guys mentions our local police chief has his 75' for sale. So I took a quick look the other day and it seems like an alright car for an alright price. It has been repainted, not the best job but not terrible either, its dark red. It has a saddle interior which is VERY nicely redone. Power windows work nice and are tight. radio works but is weak for some reason, AM/FM original. The engine compartment is nice, original and block is #'s matching odo indicates 90K. A/C car still R12 in good working order. The original automatic trans was rebuilt 2 years ago and shifts nice fluid is nice and red with no odor. The rear suspension has been rebuilt and a fiberglass spring was used, no brake or diff leaks. The front suspension has had the bushings replaced along with the front shocks. Headlights work as advertised with no hesitation. There are no signs of cracks but you can see where someone remove a luggage rack. I could not find any signs of rust on the frame or bird cage other than surface, I also noticed some of the body mount rubbers have been replaced. The only down sides I could find were some minor leakage at the power steering valve and the hose look original. The engine is showing its age with a little smoke on cold start and it lacks in power somewhat. I can buy the car for $7K, or there about. Thoughts? anything else I should look for? Mike
looks great t to me ,I have same color but oxblood interior ,and heh horse power can always work engine
Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks pretty nice.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Looks like a nice car. Are you limiting your field to only cars in Michigan?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree with others looks like a real good start. Best of luck.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

looks like a good deal
Old 08-29-2014, 12:49 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Looks like a nice car. Are you limiting your field to only cars in Michigan?
Yes. The fuel bill to look at cars any further away is hard on my budget, since I am only a 100 or so miles south of the big Mac.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:12 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I agree with it looking like a nice start but Michigan is the rust belt so be careful with your inspection of the frame and insist on checking the birdcage.
Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a 75' need your input

Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If this is the type of car your looking for (don't know if you wanted a stick/big block/ or convert.) I would say this is perfect. It will make a great driver, and you'll have the option of freshening up the motor. Whats not to like?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:33 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I think it looks like a great deal at $7000 based on your pictures and inspection. I've seen $7000 Corvettes on CL and few if any are that nice. Most sellers with that car would be asking more. If you want a '75 you have in my opinion found a pretty good deal.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:12 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Seems like a lot of value there for the money from where I'm at.

Doesn't take long to tie up 10-20grand fixing one up to be a good reliable driver.

A good starter Vette to get your feet wet , that still retained a lot of the old school charm .

Quick Reply: Looking at a 75' need your input