Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Help

Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover Help

Hey my brothers, yet again I look to you for advice. I'm going to change out my L48 valve covers for L82 covers. The question I have is do the grommets in the old covers pop out and I can re-use them in the new covers or do I need to buy new ones? Secondly how tight is to tight for the bolts on new one? Don't want to crush them and cause any leaks or any other damage to the covers. Also will I need to get a new hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner because the L82 cover is a bit taller?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by dtianen
Hey my brothers, yet again I look to you for advice. I'm going to change out my L48 valve covers for L82 covers. The question I have is do the grommets in the old covers pop out and I can re-use them in the new covers or do I need to buy new ones? Secondly how tight is to tight for the bolts on new one? Don't want to crush them and cause any leaks or any other damage to the covers. Also will I need to get a new hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner because the L82 cover is a bit taller?
The grommets can be removed if they are not brittle. Sometimes with heat and oil they go "hard" and split rather than flex. For that reason you want to try to remove them off the car so no pieces would fall into the engine.
New grommets should be available at your local parts place (NAPA, etc) in various sizes to replace yours.

The valve covers bolts are really just snug - plus a little. Spin them down by hand and than another 1/4 turn type of thing. Buy good gaskets and make sure the flanges of the new covers aren't distorted.

HIH
M
Old 08-29-2014, 07:11 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not trying to hijack but Is there a big difference in looks of l48 and l82 covers
Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by 76CSRvette
Not trying to hijack but Is there a big difference in looks of l48 and l82 covers
I'm guessing he's talking about the stamped tin covers vs the cast alum covers with the fins
M

Last edited by Mooser; 08-29-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:38 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for pics. big difference
Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

if you change the bolts that hold down the valve covers make sure you test fit them for length....i had some replacement ones that bottomed out with out compressing the valve cover....so the extra tightening just snapped them off.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

For the price, new grommets will be much easier to work with; and I wouldn't guarantee that you could get the old ones out without damage.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

grommets are still available from GM
Old 09-02-2014, 04:56 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Originally Posted by qwank
grommets are still available from GM
Tried to order new grommets today at local Chevy dealer. They told me the were no longer available and couldn't even get a part number. Hmmmm.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:59 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Tried to order new grommets today at local Chevy dealer. They told me the were no longer available and couldn't even get a part number. Hmmmm.
lazy parts guys. I just got new ones last year.

left 3989349
right 3989348
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Originally Posted by qwank
lazy parts guys. I just got new ones last year.

left 3989349
right 3989348
Called the guy back and gave him your numbers. He said they are discontinued numbers. Then he said let me check something else and said he found a couple of other places that still do have them. He ordered two other parts this morning to see if they would work. We'll see tomorrow.
Either way thanks for the numbers I;ll do my own search.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Name:  IMG_0439.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  73.1 KB

Thanks for all the help and advice you have given Now..
Left Side went on with out a hitch. Thanks guys. Right side ran into a clearance problem. If I did this right there may be a picture here if not I'll try to describe.
The right side just back of the carb is a silver disk type part with a vacum hose coming out of it. There is not enough clearance along side this part to allow the L-82 valve cover to slip past on to the head.

Any suggestions as to how to make this work or what might be the replacement part?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:31 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Originally Posted by 76CSRvette
yup there is but they both fit this engine. Trying to spruce it up a bit.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I would think that if you put the gasket down on the head and tip the edge of the valve cover down and under that can (EGR valve?), it will slide down in place without any interference. Could be wrong, but it looks to me like it will work.

If you find that the inside edge of the cover contacts the rocker arm[s], you could grind off just a bit of material from that inner edge where it is making contact.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Just take the egr valve out instead of fighting around it
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Does the EGR not fit in where the intake runner cut-out is on the L82 cover?

I don't believe there was a different EGR part number for L82s (don't quote me, and I'm too lazy to find my AIM).
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Crontab
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

This is so ironic. I'm doing the same thing on my 75. The previous owner decided to put the breather cap on the same side as the intake, and the filler cap on the front side on the other valve cover, so I'm "flipping" the right side valve cover to put the breather cap in the back of the right and the filler cap in the rear of the left.
I had to loosen the air conditioner compressor, take the belt off and push it as far as it would go towards the wheel well. I then had to take off that ERG valve off "back of the carb is a silver disk type part with a vacuum hose coming out of it" (only two bolts and comes off easily).
Once those two things are out of the way it was easy peasy.
The only thing I would caution is to ensure that the 4 bolts are the correct ones. Bubba came to visit on mine and put really short ones on the cover that were held by only a thread or two when I took it off.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Cover Help

Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 AM
dtianen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crontab
This is so ironic. I'm doing the same thing on my 75. The previous owner decided to put the breather cap on the same side as the intake, and the filler cap on the front side on the other valve cover, so I'm "flipping" the right side valve cover to put the breather cap in the back of the right and the filler cap in the rear of the left.
I had to loosen the air conditioner compressor, take the belt off and push it as far as it would go towards the wheel well. I then had to take off that ERG valve off "back of the carb is a silver disk type part with a vacuum hose coming out of it" (only two bolts and comes off easily).
Once those two things are out of the way it was easy peasy.
The only thing I would caution is to ensure that the 4 bolts are the correct ones. Bubba came to visit on mine and put really short ones on the cover that were held by only a thread or two when I took it off.
Thanks for the responses. I get so much insight from you guys, not being any good with a wrench myself. (But I haven't given up trying to learn)
Follow-up question seeing as you just did this. Is there a gasket under the ERG valve and if so can it be re-used? Once the new cover is on I am assuming there is enough room next to the cover to put back on the same ERG valve? No A/C to deal with for me one less headache.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

L-82 engines came from the factory with those covers AND an EGR valve installed. There should be no problem with it fitting.

Also, if you remove the EGR valve, make sure that you clean out any carbon gunk that has collected in the intake passages. This can be a source of engine performance problems.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Crontab
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I get so much insight from you guys, not being any good with a wrench myself. (But I haven't given up trying to learn)
Follow-up question seeing as you just did this. Is there a gasket under the ERG valve and if so can it be re-used? Once the new cover is on I am assuming there is enough room next to the cover to put back on the same ERG valve? No A/C to deal with for me one less headache.
Yes, there is a gasket and usually there's not too much wear and tear (unlike the valve cover gasket). When I took mine off it was just fine and I slapped the ERG right back on. Of course vettes being vettes whatever job is suppose to be easy turns out to be a nightmare, knowing the luck of fellow members you'll probably pull the ERG off and half the gasket will rip..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve Cover Help