C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter won't start Could it be neutral safety switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Starter won't start Could it be neutral safety switch?

I'm finally done reconnecting everything and an anxiously waiting to fire her up for the first time. Put the battery in, got power on dash, gauges read, tach resets to zero, go to click the starter and ....nothing. Checked grounds, checked wires to starter, repaired a loose connection, and still......nothing.

When we bought the car I remember having to pull it out of park and put it back into park every now and then to get it to start, so I'm wondering if by moving the tranny a bit while removing and replacing the engine may have caused an issue with the neutral safety switch. Other than that I'm stumped. Could the starter to just sitting on a shelf for 10 months?

As usual I owe my first born and 3 cows for any help and or advice
Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Easy to check. Hook a test light to the "S"terminal and ground. Now have a assistant turn the key while you watch the light.
If light illuminates when key is turned = bad starter/solenoid.
If no light either the NSS switch or IGN switch is out of rig /bad.
With scenario you describe prior to eng work I'd say you have a bad NSS switch. Start by rigging the switch. if still no joy after adjusting it, jumper the leads(bypass temporarily). And try it again
Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Azmotorhead, hate to sound stupid but hey I am with this stuff, what do you mean by rigging the switch ( hell I have to even find the switch ) ?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooonz
Azmotorhead, hate to sound stupid but hey I am with this stuff, what do you mean by rigging the switch ( hell I have to even find the switch ) ?
He means that you should push the small lever or pushbutton on the Nuetral Safety Switch and secure it with a small Zip-Tie so that it makes contact internally. BUT---the car will now start in any gear-----you have to make sure the E-brake is engaged and the car is in neutral before turning the key!!!!!!!!

I have no idea where the switch would be on your car.....check your service manual.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

According to a diagram I found it looks to be under the shifter plate, I'll try this today, no fuel in the carb yet, so it won't start, just trying to get it to engage first.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the car manual or automatic? Automatics have a switch on the side of the selector under the console, manuals should have a switch on the clutch pedal (possibly other places as well). I am sure you are aware, but don't underestimate the torque of the starter. If you are under there testing wires and a helper turns the switch, fuel or not you can still end up run over (if in gear and safeties have been by-passed for testing). Just make damn sure it is in neutral.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Car is automatic, I bought a starter button and hooked it up, starter fired up, pushed the car out and tried to start it, couldn't get it to roar before battery died. I'll charge it up and go at it again maybe tomorrow. Then I'll try to track down the ignition problem. I'm feeling it's the neutral safety switch.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Be careful......even an A/T will move the car if it's not in Park or Neutral when the starter cranks the engine!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:07 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like you're on the right track.
Heed all cautions the others have listed
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys, I'm not doing this alone, I'm always in the car just in case even though it's in park. This site rocks. Corvettes are one quirky beast but a sexy beast none the less.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm still stumped on this issue, I've looked up the NSS in the AIM and it shows 4 wires, 2 plugs. Ok, I have 5 wire and 3 plugs. Car still won't start from key, I checked all the fuses, 2 plugs are connected on the NSS with a third left dangling. I've taken a picture of the third connector, seems like there is a small purple wire with a yellow stripe that has been cut . This wire connects back to the big purple wires and connects them to the pink ones. ( when connected ) I'm at a loss here, even the wire diagrams don't seem to show the extra wires. Can someone shed some light in this area? Thanks in advance.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter won't start Could it be neutral safety switch?

Quick Reply: Starter won't start Could it be neutral safety switch?