Sponsored by:

80 not running right, kills when hitting gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 AM
EIGHTY
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 80 not running right, kills when hitting gas

Hey guys...my 80 killed on me the other day when I was leaving work. It started up fine and as I was pulling out of work it killed as if I turned the key off.

I then tried to crank it back up with no luck (I was on a steep incline driveway). I rolled back down in neutral to get to level ground, and it still wouldn't start. I eventually got it to start, but the engine made sputtering noises so I killed it.

I took the air cleaner and all off and cleaned up the carburetor with carb cleaner. It starts up and idles but eventually kills after a minute OR if I press down the gas pedal at all.

Now thinking about it my car has been running a bit sluggish than normal and not responding quick when I tried to accelerate. It's even missed a few times on the interstate and felt like I just turned the key off, but then it would catch back up and take off.

I'm thinking clogged fuel line or fuel filter. I have a quadrajet carb if that helps. Does anyone have any idea of what could be plaguing my car?

If it is a clogged fuel line or fuel filter, is that something me and a buddy could fix?

As always, thanks for your help in advanced.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:15 AM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what you described sounds like accelerator pump in the Carb is acting up.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:20 AM
EIGHTY
Racer

Originally Posted by STINGRAY1WORD
From what you described sounds like accelerator pump in the Carb is acting up.
I will check today to see if gas is shooting into the carb when I ht the pedal. Is there anything else I need to look for?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:23 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

It's pretty easy to install a fuel pressure gauge in the middle of.the fuel line and see what kind of fuel pressure you're getting. It should be 5-6 pounds. That way, you know for sure. Then, you can trace the cause, fuel filter, etc.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:25 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EIGHTY
I will check today to see if gas is shooting into the carb when I ht the pedal. Is there anything else I need to look for?
You could easily pass that test in the driveway and still not have adequate fuel pressure to meet the demands of the car, when it's driving.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 AM
EIGHTY
Racer

Originally Posted by F22
It's pretty easy to install a fuel pressure gauge in the middle of.the fuel line and see what kind of fuel pressure you're getting. It should be 5-6 pounds. That way, you know for sure. Then, you can trace the cause, fuel filter, etc.
Can you walk me through how to do this?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Most cars have a rubber fuel line running from the fuel pump on the lower front part of the engine on the passenger side, to the carb. Typically, it would run along the top of the intake manifold and after buying a fuel pressure gauge, you would simply splice.into the line and using a bracket, you'd attach it to one of the bolts on the intake manifold. You should see 5-6 pounds at idle. Rev the engine and see if it drops. If it doesn't, then the next step is to get a few feet of rubber fuel line and tape it to the bottom of the windshield, so you can see it while your test driving. Caution, this should only be a temporary, one time, thing! Make sure the fuel lines, run straight back from the carb and away from the exhaust manifolds, linkages, etc. Make sure it is taped firmly and that you can see it whole driving. A short run, will tell you if it's getting a consistent 5-6 pounds. If you're not comfortable doing this, then find a mechanic or mechanically minded garage guy, who knows what he's doing.

Good Luck and tell us what you find.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 AM
EIGHTY
Racer

Originally Posted by F22
Most cars have a rubber fuel line running from the fuel pump on the lower front part of the engine on the passenger side, to the carb. Typically, it would run along the top of the intake manifold and after buying a fuel pressure gauge, you would simply splice.into the line and using a bracket, you'd attach it to one of the bolts on the intake manifold. You should see 5-6 pounds at idle. Rev the engine and see if it drops. If it doesn't, then the next step is to get a few feet of rubber fuel line and tape it to the bottom of the windshield, so you can see it while your test driving. Caution, this should only be a temporary, one time, thing! Make sure the fuel lines, run straight back from the carb and away from the exhaust manifolds, linkages, etc. Make sure it is taped firmly and that you can see it whole driving. A short run, will tell you if it's getting a consistent 5-6 pounds. If you're not comfortable doing this, then find a mechanic or mechanically minded garage guy, who knows what he's doing.

Good Luck and tell us what you find.
The problem with this is that the car kills when I step on the gas pedal. I haven't tried to drive it yet today though, so maybe it will go.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:06 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eighty..... in order to keep it running for the fuel pressure check one of two ways set the the fast idle cam start it and let it run or from the engine with it running spray some carb cleaner to get it to a higher rpm. But just like F22 stated "If you're not comfortable doing this, then find a mechanic or mechanically minded garage guy, who knows what he's doing".
Old 08-30-2014, 01:58 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

The problem with this is that the car kills when I step on the gas pedal. I haven't tried to drive it yet today though, so maybe it will go.
Seeing what the fuel pressure does, when you hit the gas pedal, would tell you whether or not, that is the problem.

I think it would be good to check under the dash and make sure,.the gas pedal, its lever above it and the linkage to make sure there aren't any wires possibly hanging down and causing the car to stall out, because of an open or short. You never know.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Finally, try this. After letting it sit awhile and even idling, take the air cleaner off and look into the carb. Grab the throttle and look into the two front barrels of the carb. When you give it some gas, via the throttle linkage on the side, you should see fuel squirting into the carb, from the jets, positioned right in the middle of each tube. Give it gas, fuel squirts out, if you don't see a spray of fuel into the carb and the.engine dies,.that means.that it's not getting the fuel to run at all and you have a fuel supply problem, possibly a clogged fuel filter. If the fuel filter is clogged, you need to to take a flashlight, take off the gas cap and look carefully down into your gas tank. Is there a layer of coffee.ground colored sediment on the bottom? If you can, try to see if you can see the mesh sock at the base of the gas tank level-sending unit. Because if you see the sediment and the sendimg unit hasn't ever been replaced, there's a pretty good chance, the mesh sock has detoriated and it can no longer block the sediment from getting into fuel system. Even replacing the fuel filter, will be a temporary fix, because if this is the case, the new filter will soon fill up again, with more sediment.

That's why you have to know the fuel pressure. I've already been through all of this. I had a ton of sediment in my tank and I ended up dropping it, cleaning it out and replacing the sending unit. The problem with a clogged fuel system, is that it will let through, just enough gas to allow it to run at idle, but once you put a demand on it, the fuel bowls on the carb go dry and the engine starves and dies
Old 08-30-2014, 03:29 PM
EIGHTY
Racer

Originally Posted by F22
Finally, try this. After letting it sit awhile and even idling, take the air cleaner off and look into the carb. Grab the throttle and look into the two front barrels of the carb. When you give it some gas, via the throttle linkage on the side, you should see fuel squirting into the carb, from the jets, positioned right in the middle of each tube. Give it gas, fuel squirts out, if you don't see a spray of fuel into the carb and the.engine dies,.that means.that it's not getting the fuel to run at all and you have a fuel supply problem, possibly a clogged fuel filter. If the fuel filter is clogged, you need to to take a flashlight, take off the gas cap and look carefully down into your gas tank. Is there a layer of coffee.ground colored sediment on the bottom? If you can, try to see if you can see the mesh sock at the base of the gas tank level-sending unit. Because if you see the sediment and the sendimg unit hasn't ever been replaced, there's a pretty good chance, the mesh sock has detoriated and it can no longer block the sediment from getting into fuel system. Even replacing the fuel filter, will be a temporary fix, because if this is the case, the new filter will soon fill up again, with more sediment.

That's why you have to know the fuel pressure. I've already been through all of this. I had a ton of sediment in my tank and I ended up dropping it, cleaning it out and replacing the sending unit. The problem with a clogged fuel system, is that it will let through, just enough gas to allow it to run at idle, but once you put a demand on it, the fuel bowls on the carb go dry and the engine starves and dies
Thanks for everyone's help...this all makes sense to me. I'll try to check everything out tomorrow cause it's storming outside today. I'll post an update after I check everything out.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:13 PM
EIGHTY
Racer

UPDATE: Ended up putting in a new fuel filter and put in a new rubber hose for that line because the other one was hard as a rock. I had to jump the battery to get the car to start. It idled fine for 7 minutes until I tried to press down the pedal. It killed right away.

I cannot do a fuel pressure test because I cannot get the car to run past an idle. I tried spraying carb cleaner to get it to a higher RPM and it didn't like that. The engine would start to bog down like it wanted to kill when spraying carb cleaner. The car starts right up and idles though, it just can't handle any demand.

I couldn't see down into the gas tank in the daylight so I will try to look took see any sediment in the tank tonight. I'll probably end up getting it towed to my mechanic in the next few days unless there's something else you guys think I could do.

Here is what the old filter looked like...I know it hasn't been changed in years.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Is that an actual picture of the filter? There may be two filters, a small plastic or glass one, by the engine and a much larger metal can by the gas tank. Which one. Or,which mms ones, did you replace? The can filter, can also be clogged too. I'd abandon thebcarb cleaner method and go straight for the visual. You have to look down the carb with your eyeballs! Specifically the front two barrels. With the engine running and you, standing over it, look straight down those barrels. Keep an eye inside there and rev the engine, using your hand on the throttle linkage. You should see gas squirt out from the jets in the center of each barrel! If you don't actually see gas squirting out and the engine, dies, then you know you have a fuel pressure problem. That it starts and runs, without a misfire of the spark plugs, lead me to suspect a fuel problem.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:28 AM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Does your car still have a cat on it? Remember that the burnt air and fuel has to get out so the new stuff can get in. When I worked a Chevy dealership back in the 70's we saw a lot of plugged exhaust systems. If your fuel system checks out ok try dropping your exhaust down at the manifolds and see how the engine reacts. Mike
Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Sounds like a fuel pump going bad to me.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:13 AM
EIGHTY
Racer

Originally Posted by F22
Is that an actual picture of the filter? There may be two filters, a small plastic or glass one, by the engine and a much larger metal can by the gas tank. Which one. Or,which mms ones, did you replace? The can filter, can also be clogged too. I'd abandon thebcarb cleaner method and go straight for the visual. You have to look down the carb with your eyeballs! Specifically the front two barrels. With the engine running and you, standing over it, look straight down those barrels. Keep an eye inside there and rev the engine, using your hand on the throttle linkage. You should see gas squirt out from the jets in the center of each barrel! If you don't actually see gas squirting out and the engine, dies, then you know you have a fuel pressure problem. That it starts and runs, without a misfire of the spark plugs, lead me to suspect a fuel problem.
That filter was from inside the front of the carb. Where exactly is the metal can filter by the gas tank? Is it easy to get to so I can change it out? After work today I will check to see if the fuel is shooting in the barrels like you said.

Get notified of new replies

To 80 not running right, kills when hitting gas

Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=EIGHTY;That filter was from inside the front of the carb. Where exactly is the metal can filter by the gas tank? Is it easy to get to so I can change out? After work today I will check to see if the fuel is shooting in the barrels like you said.[/QUOTE]

The metal can filter, should be by the tank, underneath the car. You can crawl underneath there to see if you can see it. Your spare tire might be in the way, but look at the bottom of the tank and trace the rubber line away from the tank until you see the metal can filter. That's where mine is.

The filter is directional and they usually have an arrow, on the body, telling you what direction the fuel flow should go. The fuel lines should be clamped immediately on pulling them off, or they will continue pouring flammable gasoline continuously. They sell rubber hose clamps at Harbor Freight, or you can use vise grips, padded with a shop rag on the teeth. Then you'd install the new filter, tighten the clamps and check for leaks.

There is almost no chance of not getting some gasoline on you! You will stink afterwards. Also, if your your rubber lines are all hard, you should replace them as we'll. If you're not comfortable doing this, then have a mechanic or n somebody mechanically minded doing this, because there is a potential for danger here, with the flammables. Try watching it first , though and after you change that out, you'll have to redo, the carb filter again.

Last edited by F22; 09-01-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:02 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That filter was from inside the front of the carb. Where exactly is the metal can filter by the gas tank? Is it easy to get to so I can change it out? After work today I will check to see if the fuel is shooting in the barrels like you said.

You don't have another fuel filter on an 80 unless Bubba's been playing around. I agree with Adam that your fuel pump sounds like she's on her last legs.
If you need to get her home/to your mechanic, bypass the fuel line from the tank that attaches to your fuel pump - make sure you plug this line with a bolt and hose clamp. Run a temporary line from the input of the fuel pump to a 'jerry can'. You know she'll idle; but see if you can get her to move drawing fuel from your temporary gas tank.
if she still dies, either fuel pump or your carburetor's accelerator pump should be looked at.

If you carb hasn't been serviced in a while, a good rebuild kit installation would probably be in order - just make sure the accelerator pump bushing is impervious to ethanol. Good luck.

One more thing: if you're running rubber line from your fuel pump directly to your carburetor, replace it with a proper steel line from one of the vendors. There's a reason GM built them that way.

Last edited by briankeery; 09-01-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by briankeery
You don't have another fuel filter on an 80 unless Bubba's been playing around. I agree with Adam that your fuel pump sounds like she's on her last legs.
That's a trip! No can-type, fuel filter on the late C3's? Wow, even the early C4's had them, or did none of the C3's have them at all? Inquiring minds want to know. Glad I had one on my '74, bubba or not!

Quick Reply: 80 not running right, kills when hitting gas